tooth bar

tcalvin48

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, BH77 16" bucket,thumb, WG24, BB2560, WC68, RCR1860
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Well, I thought buying a tooth bar would be simple. After searching through OTT for advice I'm not so sure which one would be best for my use. My dealer has a Sundown, but no one has mentioned that brand on the forum. Seems like most go with the BXpanded Piranha, but I have seem Titan and a few other brands mentioned.
I live in Maine and my soil is very compacted hardpan then under that, compacted gravel with plenty on big rocks. My BH has a hard time digging because of all the rocks.
So what could I expect from a tooth bar? Some have said longer teeth would be better for gravely material... looking for advice.

Tom Stoltz on a B2650 with 60" FEL
in Maine

Highmarket

Equipment
B2650hsdc
Jan 15, 2019
Constableville NY Tughill
I don't have one but have seen stuff from Everything attachments that looks pretty nice. I saw people talking about his stuff on another Facebook page. The guys name is Travis and seems to respond to any questions anybody asks. Again I don't have anything from him yet.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I made my own, after seeing the price perverted into Canucks. My BX23S bucket has 7, 5/8" holes in it, so super easy to install. OK, maybe it's not as 'pretty' as storebought but it's held up for over a year. Made from scrap steel and only took a couple lazy hours .

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I made my own, after seeing the price perverted into Canucks. My BX23S bucket has 7, 5/8" holes in it, so super easy to install. OK, maybe it's not as 'pretty' as storebought but it's held up for over a year. Made from scrap steel and only took a couple lazy hours .
I would like to see the ugly home made tooth bar. The money they ask for makes them out of reach for me too.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have had the BXPanded on 3 tractors and make a huge difference in digging ability. Everything Attachments just released their version which looks to be a nice improvement. Won’t be cheap but they make such a difference I believe they are worth the investment.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I had an associate who when asked;"How's you wife?" he would reply:
"better than nuthin '".
I think your tooth bar will fit into that category.
I have a Piranha and it suits my needs just fine. But a lot of times I wish it had longer tines. This should work fine for you.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Here's 2 pictures, not the best but my name isn't Karsh. I used a hardwood 1by3 as a template for the hole spacing, bolted scrap as 'teeth' to it then barstock to tie together. My teeth aren't pointy as I'm usually fluffing up or hauling compost or triplemix or dirt or gravel. Easy enough to create pointy teeth if you need them, again zero cost and I've used/abused it for over a year now.

Jay

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Here's 2 pictures, not the best but my name isn't Karsh. I used a hardwood 1by3 as a template for the hole spacing, bolted scrap as 'teeth' to it then barstock to tie together. My teeth aren't pointy as I'm usually fluffing up or hauling compost or triplemix or dirt or gravel. Easy enough to create pointy teeth if you need them, again zero cost and I've used/abused it for over a year now.

Jay

Looks outstanding! That does not look like it would make that much difference but I am glad it works. Now that you have it would you do anything different? Space the teeth or the length of the teeth differently?

Maybe Karsh Jr.

Thank you

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I also made my own out of a piece of 1/2" x 5" AR5 (abrasion resistant) steel, shamelessly copying the Piranha style.

The teeth were roughed out with a torch (the material was too thick for my plasma cutter) at a 60° angle, then final sharpening with a hand grinder. Sharpening AR steel with a hand grinder takes a long time! But shipping to Canada was a killer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The spacing is 'funny' as the steel plates had PERFECT fit 5/8" holes, so I just quickly cut a groove to make 2 teeth. They actually dig in, break up the soil/sod around here very well, far better than the smooth front edge of the bucket. I may make another, with longer pointy teeth..as if I 'need' another Winter project. It has made a HUGE difference in time and speed in rebuilding the 1/2 acre veggie garden and adding mulch under the trees.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I also made my own out of a piece of 1/2" x 5" AR5 (abrasion resistant) steel, shamelessly copying the Piranha style.

The teeth were roughed out with a torch (the material was too thick for my plasma cutter) at a 60° angle, then final sharpening with a hand grinder. Sharpening AR steel with a hand grinder takes a long time! But shipping to Canada was a killer.

Very nice.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought a tooth bar at the scrapper for $25. Someone had torched it off a bucket. The tabs that hold it in position were missing, and it was too long for my 5' bucket.

I added some material on the back so it would lock on the loader edge. I also shortened it to fit the loader on the L305.

I have two of these tooth bars, and if you are working in clay, rock and other tight material this is the bar I'd recommend. I've never owned the piranha style bar, but they seem to be used primarily on smaller tractors and used for getting under brush.

Any tooth bar reduces the surface area being broken up so the material is easier to handle. The shape of the tooth determines it's abilities. A sharp, beveled edge tooth will cut as it digs. A pointed tooth with break apart the material, making it easier to load.

I have a few tons of asphalt millings that have been piled for 8-9 years. The tooth bar I have works good on something like that.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I bought a tooth bar at the scrapper for $25. Someone had torched it off a bucket. The tabs that hold it in position were missing, and it was too long for my 5' bucket.

I added some material on the back so it would lock on the loader edge. I also shortened it to fit the loader on the L305.

I have two of these tooth bars, and if you are working in clay, rock and other tight material this is the bar I'd recommend. I've never owned the piranha style bar, but they seem to be used primarily on smaller tractors and used for getting under brush.

Any tooth bar reduces the surface area being broken up so the material is easier to handle. The shape of the tooth determines it's abilities. A sharp, beveled edge tooth will cut as it digs. A pointed tooth with break apart the material, making it easier to load.

I have a few tons of asphalt millings that have been piled for 8-9 years. The tooth bar I have works good on something like that.
I'll second what D2Cat mentions above. I have both styles of tooth bars (Piranha, and long tine variety). For digging into boulders/rock, you'll want the long tine for sure. I believe the long tine version that I have was made by ATI. They can be found here. https://www.ati-corporation.com/loader-attachments/tooth-bars-bucket-teeth.php

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Many thanks for all the responses. The Sundown does appear to have longer tynes than the Piranha. Also does not require holes for mounting -- not sure that is a good thing, though. I'll include the link the dealer sent me -- not much info.
The 'in between tynes teeth' on the Piranha look like a real plus to me. Price is similar so that is not an issue.

Tom Stoltz
in Maine

http://jswoodhouse.com/brochures/NSTB.pdf

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
Hmmmm, the lack of response for the Sundown tooth bar does not bode well for it. It appears similar in design to the ATI, except the ATI requires drilling holes in the bucket as does just about every other tooth bar out there.
The brochure is the only info I have to go on and there is not much there. Can't tell if the teeth are replaceable, though they appear to have bolt heads showing so maybe they are. And how does it stay in place if it is not bolted to the bucket? Dealer does not have it in stock so I can't go look at it...

Tom Stoltz
in Maine

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Can't tell if the teeth are replaceable, though they appear to have bolt heads showing so maybe they are. And how does it stay in place if it is not bolted to the bucket?
Tom Stoltz
in Maine
Description says that it uses set screws in the bar that mount it to the bucket.

tcalvin48

Equipment
Aug 22, 2019
Dresden, Maine
I did get some answers about the Sundown tooth bar. Because of the way it is mounted, it is likely it would come off when back dragging the FEL.
Like most others, I'm leaning toward the Piranha though the Titan looks interesting. But does the Titan 60" fit the Kubota 60" FEL?
Tom Stoltz
in Maine

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My property is very rocky. I have been successfully using the Piranha Tooth Bar for digging up rocks of in my yard. I have attached a picture of some of the rocks that I have dug up using the Piranha Tooth Bar. I am very happy with the performance. I also use the Piranha Tooth Bar to groom my gravel driveway by back dragging the bucket. It works so well that I do not have to use my box blade to do that task anymore.

Attachments

Last edited: