Use CO detectors in your shed/garage, it's a silent killer!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:...The replacement 'fluid switch' is inexpensive but replacement will require bleeding the brakes most times

This SHOULD have been part of the recall but Ford did a cheap 'fix', though my fix was even cheaper and did the same thing.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
re:...The replacement 'fluid switch' is inexpensive but replacement will require bleeding the brakes most times

This SHOULD have been part of the recall but Ford did a cheap 'fix', though my fix was even cheaper and did the same thing.
I'm curious, what is your workaround??????

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I removed connector from the faulty switch, made a 'jumper' about 2" long with 1/4" spade lug crump connectors. They go into the connector. This bypasses the switch. I've had cruise control ever since I did the mod in 2000-2001. Yeesh 2 decades ago !!
What Ford did was put add a wiring assembly with a low amp fuse in the circuit, so when the switch fails, the fuse blows. No current through the oil , means no fire. It also means when the fuse blows, you lose cruise control.
I'd have to locate a wiring diagram but I believe the power is fed from a 15 amp fuse 'upstream', live from the battery 24/7. That's why so many vehicles burned up...'ticking firebombs' as the circuit is always live.
Jay

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Believe it or not, mine is a 1997 F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3 Navistar and I bought it new in 97, ordered it actually. It's an XLT and it's a loaded lumberwagon.

Never seen Michigan snow. Stays parked in a heated garage next to the tractor shop with my camper all winter, every winter. Has less than 95K miles on it and it's a head turner. I've always liked the OBS body style anyway. Easy to work on the engine. Has the polished Alcoa aluminum wheels (that stay mirror bright because they get polished every spring), full Banks kit, built by Ford SVO, E4OD and it's 6 over stock. Wish now it wasn't so high. At 70 a real PITA to get into and out of....

Been offered 20 cash for it. Not for sale. Same as my 2002 M9000 and my 2004 M9000. No sale. Mo emissions on anything.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
For the life of me I never understood why that circuit didn't go through the ignition relay and was always hot. Maybe Fordtech knows the answer, I don't. Not a good deal. Brake fluid is very flammable. Like I said the switch is cheap but the install is somewhat complex. It's said you can do it without bleeding the brakes, but I don't see how.

Should have done it when I ran all new Ni-Cop lines a few years ago and got rid of the crappy steel lines. Replaced all the brake hoses to with braided stainless Russel lines and flushed the entire system too.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re:...
For the life of me I never understood why that circuit didn't go through the ignition relay and was always hot

yup a real head scratcher !! hmm.. it was 'engineered' by a committee ? Certainly NOT by the 'bean counters', they'd do it my way and saved millions.

course I stil can't figure out why Chevies like Cavaliers have 5 studs per rim...:eek:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
For the life of me I never understood why that circuit didn't go through the ignition relay and was always hot. Maybe Fordtech knows the answer, I don't. Not a good deal. Brake fluid is very flammable. Like I said the switch is cheap but the install is somewhat complex. It's said you can do it without bleeding the brakes, but I don't see how.

Should have done it when I ran all new Ni-Cop lines a few years ago and got rid of the crappy steel lines. Replaced all the brake hoses to with braided stainless Russel lines and flushed the entire system too.
I can not answer to why it was engineered the way it was, that would be a question for your engineer BIL;). I started to go further but deleted it to keep from derailing this thread farther.