Reasonable precaution or surefire jinx?

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
We haven't had enough snow to bother with all Winter. Worst I've had to do is sweep off the front steps with a broom.

It started snowing shortly after I rolled out this morning and the thought popped into my head "I'd better put the blower on the Cabota."

So, will we get the 6-10 they're blathering about, or will it be like the last "5-7" and turn into a dusting followed by rain?

Doesn't really matter, the blower can hang off the back of the Cabota until Memorial Day and not bother me a bit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yup... I mades SSQA dual auger, single engine snowblower for my BX23S....
..it's still in the garage, on the bench, collecting dust......

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Well, as of this morning, 6-10 has become 3-5 and ending with rain, so I probably won't even start the tractor.

No. Wait. Yes I will. I noticed yesterday that the upper flashers (on the cab roof) aren't working, so I need to pull it into the garage and figure that out.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess it had to happen sometime,, SNOW ,,, people are going nuts I dont know what is going to happen I mean we got like 2 inches,, OMG the end is near. I had to run to the store yesterday for some food stuffs and cat food, and good Lord the carts people were hauling out was like HUH,,whats going on? The cashier said it is going to snow you better get everything you need! I said 2 to 3 inches and the world is going to end? I guess people forget what it was like back when it did snow. I mean really, if you aint got enough stuff in the house to sit out one or 2 days, you are in some serious trouble

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
That reminds me of a local highway, the US20 bypass around South Bend and Elkhart. EVERY year, the first time we get more than a dusting of snow, they have to close a section of it because the morons driving cars refuse to slow down, put down their phones and pay attention to their driving, and a couple dozen of them end up either upside down in the ditches or tangled up in a multi-car pile-up.

A friend has a towing service, and he looks forward to the winter snows because he makes a pile of money pulling the idiots out of the ditches or hauling the banged up ones to a repair shop.

At least Indiana has finally passed a law prohibiting drivers from having a phone in their hands. I doubt it will stop most people from using them, but it's a start. Distracted driving is the largest cause of accidents in the country. I don't know if fines will be enough to deter some people, I think loss of your license for a couple of years on a second offense and permanent loss on third conviction would be better. And for those whose cause an accident while distracted, a little jail time might be good, unless a death was caused, then a long jail term.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That reminds me of a local highway, the US20 bypass around South Bend and Elkhart. EVERY year, the first time we get more than a dusting of snow, they have to close a section of it because the morons driving cars refuse to slow down, put down their phones and pay attention to their driving, and a couple dozen of them end up either upside down in the ditches or tangled up in a multi-car pile-up.

A friend has a towing service, and he looks forward to the winter snows because he makes a pile of money pulling the idiots out of the ditches or hauling the banged up ones to a repair shop.

At least Indiana has finally passed a law prohibiting drivers from having a phone in their hands. I doubt it will stop most people from using them, but it's a start. Distracted driving is the largest cause of accidents in the country. I don't know if fines will be enough to deter some people, I think loss of your license for a couple of years on a second offense and permanent loss on third conviction would be better. And for those whose cause an accident while distracted, a little jail time might be good, unless a death was caused, then a long jail term.
Same here in Michigan but they (idiots) do it in 'stealth mode' which is look around for LE and put the phone down low an speaker so no one can see and / or use the voice to text mode that always sends something different than what you speak into it....:D

I have hands free in my buggy but rarely use it. Nothing on the cell phone is that important to me.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
In AZ they finally agreed that phone use in cars is distracted driving and is a HUGE problem here, risking everyone's life, and finally decided to pass a law banning cell use while driving. Only trouble is, the morons decided the law won't take effect for THREE YEARS.
To finally identify a life risking behavior, and then not stop it for 3 years is just unbelievable.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Still hard to 'catch' a violator. I find it amazing that people cannot exist without that cell phone glued to their ear or texting constantly.

Almost every time I see an erratic driver it involves a cell phone. Here in Michigan, one of the assistant coaches at Michigan State got slammer time for texting while driving, was southbound on 23 and entered a construction zone with stopped traffic. Never slowed down, too busy texting and killed 2 people by rear ending them. LE got the phone records and proved he was texting at the moment of impact. He went away. Good. Wrongful death. Does nothing for the victims however.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Amending my previous post, a thought brought about by Sidecar's post above, Those convicted of causing injury or death while driving distracted by a phone or any mobile device should be prohibited from owning a cell phone for 5 years.
This would be the same as forcing a drug addict to undergo drug rehab. So many people are addicted to cell phones, and more to the point, social media, it's a disaster.

I almost ran over a guy in town that jaywalked while looking only at his phone a couple of weeks ago. He never knew I was there until I blew the horn and scared the crap out of him when he was 5 feet directly in front of me.

I hope there is a special place in hell for those who invented the current social media platforms.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Same here in Michigan but they (idiots) do it in 'stealth mode' which is look around for LE and put the phone down low an speaker so no one can see and / or use the voice to text mode that always sends something different than what you speak into it....:D

I have hands free in my buggy but rarely use it. Nothing on the cell phone is that important to me.
In AZ they finally agreed that phone use in cars is distracted driving and is a HUGE problem here, risking everyone's life, and finally decided to pass a law banning cell use while driving. Only trouble is, the morons decided the law won't take effect for THREE YEARS.
To finally identify a life risking behavior, and then not stop it for 3 years is just unbelievable.
Driving in commutes here in Sillycon Valley is taking your life in your hands. Literally every other car has someone texting, talking or looking down at their damn phone. They drive like complete aholes...with no concern about their speed, lane(s) they drift into, sitting at signals that have turned green...using turn signals or just paying any attention.

We have had phone laws here for years...does no good what so ever. There are so many who do it...cops don’t really care.

Between that and the fact that our idiots that run this state basically have made any theft of less than 950 bucks legal. Car break ins and shop lifting are just part of life here now.