Grill Guard for L2501

Sabaton617

Jul 22, 2017
Alvarado,MN USA
Is there an after market mesh grill guard that can be purchased anywhere? Some time ago I saw one and it had protection for the headlights also. Don't recall if it was made and posted by someone or if it was purchased. I'm looking to purchase one now but all my searches show the only option is to make one yourself. Thanks

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Is there an after market mesh grill guard that can be purchased anywhere? Some time ago I saw one and it had protection for the headlights also. Don't recall if it was made and posted by someone or if it was purchased. I'm looking to purchase one now but all my searches show the only option is to make one yourself. Thanks
I made a post similar to this a couple months ago because I wanted one as well. (You can see my thread here if youd like) I looked everywhere. You will NOT find one that you can just buy aftermarket. Your only option is to fabricate one yourself, or have someone else do it for you. I elected to do mine myself, after poking a 2nd stick through the front plastic grill guard on my L2501. Minor cosmetic damage, but after a 2nd time, and me trying to be careful, I said nope, time to do something. I went and bought all the parts, and a cheap welder. (A little 100amp welder will work fine for metal up to 3/16" which covers this job) I had never welded in my life. I got a few extra pieces of iron when buying to use as "practice pieces" I took about 30 minutes to play around and practice, then went to work on the job. Its not that hard a job honestly. What you will want to do:

1. Take an angle grinder and grind the outside front edge of the grill guard beams on the left and right. You only need to remove the paint so you can weld to it.

2. Place the expanded metal over the front and clamp it down in multiple spots - it needs to be tight and secure. mark it up so you know where to cut it to size. Cut it using angle grinder cutting disc.

3. Put the measured and cut expanded metal piece back in place and clamp it all down, all the way around. Its important its tight and lined up perfectly how you want it. Start welding each spot it contacts the grill guard arms on the left and right. Careful not to burn through it. The welding happens fast. This is where my practice game in. Even on my 100amp welder I had to go to half power as I was burning through the expanded metal so fast.

4. wire brush it all down, Lap it with a lapping disc on angle grinder to blend the welds in better, and make it look better.

5. Paint it using Kubota orange spray paint. Can befound in tractor supply or on amazon.

My Finished Results:

Reactions: 1 user

Sabaton617

Jul 22, 2017
Alvarado,MN USA
Thanks for answering my question! I too had a branch go through the plastic grill. It might have been a different Kubota group than this one but I think I saw someone who was making these metal grill protectors and selling them. I vaguely remember this person was using Kubota in the name of his business he was selling them at and people were commenting that he was violating Kubota trademark. Either I vaguely remember this or I'm totally off base! I know someone who can probably make one for me so I'll go that route.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Thanks for answering my question! I too had a branch go through the plastic grill. It might have been a different Kubota group than this one but I think I saw someone who was making these metal grill protectors and selling them. I vaguely remember this person was using Kubota in the name of his business he was selling them at and people were commenting that he was violating Kubota trademark. Either I vaguely remember this or I'm totally off base! I know someone who can probably make one for me so I'll go that route.
Its very possible an individual was doing this - Ive seen individuals on tractor forums take up similar en devours and sell to other members. In my search I never found anything I could just buy, because that was my initial preference. Its really a very simple modification. I was surprised how well it came out. If you have the welder, and an angle grinder, its impossible to mess it up unless you cut the expanded metal too tight - so I aired on cutting it just a hair too wide then after welding it in place you can go back with angle grinder and clean up any protruding pieces or ugly welds. A lap disc on the angle grinder cleaned it all up nicely before painting.

You also will have to choose what gauge expanded metal you want. I went with 13 gauge, but some people also use 9 gauge. The 13 gauge is a lot stronger and sturdier than I thought it would be. You could beat my grill with a baseball bat now and it would hold up I think. It feels very solid.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I should know this, but doesn't the mesh interfere with tilting the guard forward?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Sabaton617, sorry I didn't notice your post earlier. You're within a half hour's drive north of me. Here's my post on what I did for a grill guard right after I purchased my B2650:
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40468&highlight=kubota+b2650+grille+guard

If this is something that you might be interested in...I sure be willing to help you out. Send me a PM or email if you'd like and we can go from there.

Regards,
david

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Nice job on these guys. I will be doing this next. I like it on the outside of the guard vs the inside as I have seen on some and I like the full cover to the bottom. On the B2650 the space between the grill and the guard is already super tight.

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
This may be the outfit you thought about. Kubota Bumpers, LLC

Piper59

Equipment
L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha TB,MTL Grapple, Titan forks
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
Wow,little did I know when I built my own that I saved myself over $400 bucks.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I'm in the process of building mine now. I will have about $100 and a couple days fabricating when I'm done. Part of the $100 is because I had to buy a 4'X8' sheet of expanded steel. I called it fabricating because it's not really work, more like a hobby.

Attachments

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I spent $100 to $125 and have the remainder of a 4'x8' sheet of expanded metal left over. I even covered a open space under the tractor that exposed my power steering gear and hoses. I think I'm going to name her Mad Max.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user