Home built PTO Reverser

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
.... but just using a little extra hose between them (inside the case) might be a sufficient reservoir.

Dave
but would it be enough for heat dissipation? Maybe a cooler (and fan?) as the reservoir if your trying to eliminate the tank

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
small hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor. Could even add a valve to that to make it go clockwise or counter-clockwise. Not sure if any kind of reservoir would be needed...possibly a very small one, but just using a little extra hose between them (inside the case) might be a sufficient reservoir.
It would overheat within minutes.
Even running it off of the tractors reservoir it would over heat as it does not have any ability to cool the fluid.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Lorenz and others offer a factory pto kit, designed to operate front mount implements. Driven in same manner from rear PTO gearbox. I am building a front PTO hydraulic drive similar to that offered by MK Martin of Canada for their snowblower. Other folks offer this type of drive unit. The speed increaser was just received to power the pump. Auburn Gear Of Indiana offers unit, converts 540 rpm to 2025 rpm. Hydraulic pumps require this speed for adequate volume. Front drive motor mounted to mower itself and rear pump are from surplus center in Nebraska. The Auburn Gear drive was the expensive component, $950. Unit will produce 32 gpm at 2500 psi. Winter shop project, plan to only power a front mount mower initially but other applications may follow. The MK Martin website offers photo clarification, pump driven by rear pto by shaft with rear tank 3 point mount. The Lorenz unit is all gear driven but I am skeptical of the reduced ground clearance. Mine will only have two hydraulic hoses front to rear tank. Minimal case drain oil will be collected at the front, minimal amount anticipated when shut- down occurs at low speed. Tractor hydraulics only raise and lower loader and dump function serves as hydraulic top link. Mount will be quick attach. Set up will resemble bobcat hydraulic finish mower if you review that application. Mower mount will also pvovide 8 " of float for contour adjustment. Able to cut tall grass by raising loader instead of adjusting each caster wheel. Just tired of driving over grass before mowing. Also avoid neck strain from looking back at mower while avoiding front obstacles. Loader arms will also float when mower wheels engage ground. Anyone read to the end? Long winded, for sure but Keeping everything out front, priceless!

RandR10

Equipment
LB2204 (Kioti version of L2204)
Jun 17, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Just found this post and thought it was interesting. As others pointed out, it's a drop box/reverser rather than just a reverser. If you wanted to reverse the PTO more simply, you could attach one gear to the existing PTO and use that to direct drive another gear. Attach a PTO output shaft to the second gear and you're spinning in reverse. You're only adding a pair of gears, a bearing and another shaft the equation that way, and it could be arranged in such a way that the regular PTO could still be accessed normally. My old Massey 204 reversed the PTO when you put the shuttle shift in reverse, and that function is indeed handy when removing a stuck post-hole digger. I was putting in a driveway gate right next to another one that I had installed previously. Caught the auger on the concrete from the other post and it stuck hard in there and sheared the pin. Don't think I could have removed it from where it was wedged without being able to reverse it. Gates turned out pretty good though.

Attachments