What's cookin' boys?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
What app/probes are you using?
The app is called The Pit Pal. Works with numerous pit minders. I have a Stoker II from Rocks BBQ. Sadly they just closed up shop due to health reasons back in December and I need a new fan. When it worked it did a great job keeping the pit stable on long cooks. A new pit minder is on the wish list, for this year. Now I just am using the pit temp probe and meat probes. Doing all temp control the old fashioned way with the vents. Get it close and walk away.

Anything I get new will be cloud enabled so I can check and get updates when away from my home. You can do it with this version, but there are a lot of extra steps involved. Pit Pal is nice because I can set alarms when I reach a set point and it wakes me up at night. Currently have them set for low temp, 30 under set and high temp 40 over set. Meat for this was initial set at 170 to foil and 190 to remove. What is nice is that you can also get to the web console on the Stoker itself and adjust settings there as well.

My only complaint with this version of Pit Pal is that the main page in iOS 13 cuts off half the screen. I know the areas to press to get to the functions I need so I can work around it. I also have it loaded on an old Android tablet since it updates temps even when the tablet is sleeping. All screens function correctly on Android. Apple does not update if screen is locked.

This particular cook hit 170 at 2:35AM and 190 at 3:45. That gives me a bit over 13hrs on the pit. Nice and juicy, smokey and tender. One shoulder is going to a quarterly IT professionals meeting and the other is being entered in a BBQ competition this weekend. I find that freezing them post smoking helps intensify the flavors. I have 20lbs of spicy garlic wings going to the competition as well. They will go in to marinade Wednesday evening and on to the smoker Saturday morning followed by a big ole pan of mac-n-cheese. Man I'm hungry

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man all I have is a 55 gallon drum with a hot plate and old cast iron skillet in the bottom for a smoker

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Man all I have is a 55 gallon drum with a hot plate and old cast iron skillet in the bottom for a smoker
If it works, why get rid of it? I bought my smoker used off a competition smoker in GA who was switching brands. He went from Grill Dome over to Big Green Egg. It doesn't look like much but it does a great job. I'd like to try my hand at building my own offset smoker on a trailer. I think I can part it out and put it together for a lot less than I can buy one new. I want to do a whole pig and mine is way too small for that.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
BBQ Sundae

Pulled Pork on the bottom
Baked Beans in the middle
Coleslaw on the top
Ribs on the outside
Cornbread

BBQ-Sundae1280.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Put the beans on the side and pork and slaw on a bun some onions and you got some fine dinning

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
20lbs of Spicy Garlic wings off the smoker.
. This was the first round off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
20lbs of Spicy Garlic wings off the smoker.
Holy smokes (no pun intended;)), I feel like an amateur compared to you John!

Those look great.

I'm old enough that in my early years in the restaurant business I boiled wings for stock and threw them out.....nobody wanted to eat the wings....

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks. Entered a charity bbq event yesterday and the wings took 2nd, pulled pork 3rd and the Mac-n-cheese took fourth. Today it is back out to smoke a pork roast and some home made sausages for a friend.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Round 2 is on.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
And while that smokes, how about some pulled pork and eggs for breakfast?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Not cooking but eating Kettle Corn. Problem is I hafta eat it like I'm in a fight and can't quit 'till it's gone. :D Another problem is trying to rotate a picture that was taken with an IPhone. :(

Attachments

OLD GAR

Equipment
MF210, FORD 8N, BIG TEX CH18,
Aug 3, 2015
ZWOLLE
Well I have no photos like those to make your saliva start flowing.

I am the Station Captian for our VFD Aimwell station and yesterday evening I served chicken and sausage gumbo for my Aimwell firefighters.

Using 6 large chicken leg quarters, two big Savoie's* smoke sausage links and Andouille pieces get that 3 gallon pot to stewing. Do that till the chicken is tender enough to slip out the bones. Set that aside.

Then the "holy trinity"!gets going. That is onion, bell pepper and celery sauteed in peanut oil till onions just start to clear.

Then the ROUX! In my big iron skillit - one cup oil and one cup of flour over high flame, stirring constantly with a wooden paddle, is how I make my roux. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get just the right dark red or even brown but not burned.

Now for the combination. As soon as the roux is ready I dump in my trinity and stir till they are all covered. Now as I bring up the pot to just simmering, in goes the roux and the trinity. While stirring gently to incorporate all the flavors. A big pot of rice and some Cajun potato salad And as the coon ass sez "dats what make de meal"

*Savoie's is a South Louisiana Cajun firm that makes all kinds of stuff from spices to Andouille, Boudin, Tasso and Smoke Sausage
https://www.savoiesfoods.com/savoies-products/

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Well I have no photos like those to make the saliva start flowing.

I am the Station Captian for our VFD Aimwell station and yesterday evening I served chicken and sausage gumbo for my Aimwell firefighters.

Using 6 large chicken leg quarters, two big Savoie's* smoke sausage links and Andouille pieces get that 3 gallon pot to stewing. Do that till the chicken is tender enough to slip out the bones. Set that aside.

Then the "holy trinity"!gets going. That is onion, bell pepper and celery sauteed in peanut oil till onions just start to clear.

Then the ROUX! In my big iron skillit - one cup oil and one cup of flour over high flame, stirring constantly with a wooden paddle, is how I make my roux. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get just the right dark red or even brown but not burned.

Now for the combination. As soon as the roux is ready I dump in my trinity and stir till they are all covered. Now as I bring up the pot to just simmering, in goes the roux and the trinity. While stirring gently to incorporate all the flavors. A big pot of rice and some Cajun potato salad And as the coon ass sez "dats what make de meal"

*Savoie's is a South Louisiana Cajun firm that makes all kinds of stuff from spices to Andouille, Boudin, Tasso and Smoke Sausage
Dats what I’m talkin bout!