Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Tractor Operating

Tractor Operating Wondering what that strange lever does, how to safely hill climb or get into 4WD? Discover and share how to get the most out of your tractor.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
pjoh784350
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
Default Re: Garden prep ?

If you've been doing a small plot with just peas and onions I'd recommend going to 1/4 to 1/2 acre slowly. Many considerations for going larger, especially much larger. The amount of food generated out of 1/4 acre plot can be overwhelming both in terms of work to maintain the growing but also in finding an outlet to use it all. Nothing better than fresh veggies, good luck!
pjoh784350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
GreensvilleJay
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23-S

wife's garden is about 1/3 acre. 1/2 that is for 2 giant pumpkins, rest grows normal veggies. Enough to feed all summer, frezze al winter, feed 3-6 families and sell enough for 2- 1 week Winter vactions.
Not really a lot of work , IF you paln ahead, er PLAN ahead.
GreensvilleJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
RCW

Master Tech

Equipment: BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU

Only thing I can add is that I wish I could plant anything.
Maple syrup season is 2 months away; planting would be about 4 months away.
Dayum.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
SidecarFlip

Master Tech

Equipment: M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota Sidekick RTV,

Interesting thread. Our 'patch' is just over an acre and it's never seen anything in but a rear tine rototiller (Cub Cadet rear tine and Troy Bilt rear tine). Even breaking sod, only the tillers.

What I do is early spring I spray the patch with roundup, kill off the emerging weeds and fit it up, adding 46 or lime depending on what my PH meter tells me, and plant it. Usually spuds sweet and others, sweet corn maters, cukes, beets, carrots and cabbage with green beans. I plant and harvest according to what stores best in the cellar.

Been gardening for 20 years now. All good.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
Poohbear
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoh784350 View Post
If you've been doing a small plot with just peas and onions I'd recommend going to 1/4 to 1/2 acre slowly. Many considerations for going larger, especially much larger. The amount of food generated out of 1/4 acre plot can be overwhelming both in terms of work to maintain the growing but also in finding an outlet to use it all. Nothing better than fresh veggies, good luck!
We have been retired 4 yrs now as of Dec 10th and expanding garden just wasn't priority. At home we had (4) 4/8 raised bed planters and you would be surprised at how much food you can grow even with no pesticides which is our method as my wife is in stage 2 of Parkinson's. You just eliminate as many things as possible to maybe slow this down , but no real known technique.
We are finally settleling into a retirement routine. We had a lot of building at the farm to do, rv shed, renovate older barn, patio, new shop, knee replacement , & cataract surgery. Our country place did have a large garden area but hadn't been planted since 1995 when my wife's Dad passed. When her Mom died 4 yrs ago Wife bought out her siblings as now 4 generations owning this land tho most had been sold in small tracts. It quit raining yesterday so might get the mustard & turnip greens and Brockley out today.
Poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
Tornado
2nd Yr. Apprentice

on the subject of garden patches - im working hard to get one cleared at my place. My property is about 13 acres, but it was heavily wooded, so my problem is finding a big enough spot that has consistent daily sun! Im having to cut down so many trees, and push the woods back to try and find a spot. Im not sure yet if I will have a spot that will be suitable by planting time or not. Still so many trees.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
GreensvilleJay
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: BX23-S

Get rid of ALL Black Walnut Trees anywhere near wher ethe garden will be !!! BWT have a poison(jugofin sp?) in them, kill toms and peps and most all GOOD veggies....
GreensvilleJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
bucktail
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Interesting thread. Our 'patch' is just over an acre and it's never seen anything in but a rear tine rototiller (Cub Cadet rear tine and Troy Bilt rear tine). Even breaking sod, only the tillers.

What I do is early spring I spray the patch with roundup, kill off the emerging weeds and fit it up, adding 46 or lime depending on what my PH meter tells me, and plant it. Usually spuds sweet and others, sweet corn maters, cukes, beets, carrots and cabbage with green beans. I plant and harvest according to what stores best in the cellar.

Been gardening for 20 years now. All good.
I do about the same, but I don't use the roundup. It probably helps with annuals weeds, but I've found I don't need it on sod. If you have quackgrass or something that similar that spreads aggressively through the roots, it would probably be useful though.
bucktail is offline   Reply With Quote