T2380

AllThingsOrange

Equipment
2008 Kubota T2080
Apr 25, 2016
Southeast, Texas
Need some advice ASAP. Looking to buy a T2380. Everything is in good working order except for the heart. According to the owner it's lower on compression on one cylinder. Again the owner says it needs a ring job. Talking with some local small engine repair places this is something I can undertake and do myself, but could get costly.

I have intermediate skill when it comes to small engine repair. Knowing just what I've told you and he's asking $500 would it be something you would buy?

Thanks for any feedback and comments. I'm hear to learn.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not familiar with the machine, but just a quick search shows it was roughly a $5k lawn mower and has a Kohler engine? Didn’t see which Kohler it was, but you could probably get a brand new drop in replacement engine for under $1000, not sure I would go through the trouble of trying to rebuild a modern small engine and I’m all for trying to fix stuff. That said, it would be something I would probably take on.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
How many hours are on it? Is the rest of the tractor in good shape? I would get the model of the engine and check on the price of a new one. I tried but the model number was a big question.

If you want the challenge of the repair then go for it but I think you could find a running tractor for not to much more money then the $500 plus parts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not familiar with the machine, but just a quick search shows it was roughly a $5k lawn mower and has a Kohler engine? Didn’t see which Kohler it was, but you could probably get a brand new drop in replacement engine for under $1000, not sure I would go through the trouble of trying to rebuild a modern small engine and I’m all for trying to fix stuff. That said, it would be something I would probably take on.
That particular model Kohler engine is $2k to $2.6K new.

So it might be worth rebuilding if possible. ;)

AllThingsOrange

Equipment
2008 Kubota T2080
Apr 25, 2016
Southeast, Texas
Went to check out the machine this afternoon.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that this model carries the Kohler Courage V-Twin SV720 engine. Hopefully that will help you find tech notes or what type of engine I can replace it with.

I should've mentioned some things like... it has just over 500 hours on it. The tractor appears to be in good working order otherwise than the engine. He told me that the engine started cutting out and he couldn't figure it out so finally he discovered that the air filter was clogged. Even though he said he had been blowing it out over the years. That's right, I said years. :confused:

He welded and covered the discharge shute and painted it Kubota orange to match. Added a pulley to keep the belt from rubbing on one of the brackets on the deck. He was an older man probably in his 60's and he's the original owner. Says he's always ran Mobil 1 in it and changed it every season. He also mentioned changing the fluid and filter in the transaxle. The hood and engine wraparaound is beat up but all body parts there.

All in all he said he would let it go for $400. I'm on the fence about finding a new engine for it and swapping, or rebuilding this one. I feel like it's a good candidate, however I've never undertaken this type of job before.

That's where you guys come in. I'm not sure if there is enough materials online to help me through this rebuild.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments guys!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

AllThingsOrange

Equipment
2008 Kubota T2080
Apr 25, 2016
Southeast, Texas
I was hoping to make sure before I bought it that I could find a replacement so I would see what I was up against.

According to Kohler here: http://www.kohlerenginesparts.com/PartStream/Index#/s/KOH/sv720//2/

there were only two engines produced in the Kohler Courage V-Twin family and the model #'s were SV720-3037 and SV720-3038. Only engines I can find so far are brand new and costing $1398.34 on this site:

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_courage_sv720_series_replacement_engines.htm

That's been my findings so far. Just when I thought I could find the model family and match one up, it seems the SV720 isn't enough. Going to see if the owner can snap a picture of the sticker on the side of the engine. That would help alot.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not coming up with a whole lot here on that engine. Like wolfman says, pulling the engine and getting the shaft size is what you need to do. You wouldn’t necessarily have to get another Courage to replace it, could be other options (might have to make some mods).

Just taking a guess here, but given your description of his air filter maintenance, I would guess the engine is dusted. Would need to have cylinders machined and oversized pistons installed. Heads would need valve seats and guides checked, which would most likely need replaced (not sure if a machine shop would mess with the heads, and may not be cost effective anyways, or parts available to do it).

AllThingsOrange

Equipment
2008 Kubota T2080
Apr 25, 2016
Southeast, Texas
Not coming up with a whole lot here on that engine. Like wolfman says, pulling the engine and getting the shaft size is what you need to do. You wouldn’t necessarily have to get another Courage to replace it, could be other options (might have to make some mods).

Just taking a guess here, but given your description of his air filter maintenance, I would guess the engine is dusted. Would need to have cylinders machined and oversized pistons installed. Heads would need valve seats and guides checked, which would most likely need replaced (not sure if a machine shop would mess with the heads, and may not be cost effective anyways, or parts available to do it).
Just so I'm clear and I've never done it before, I'm guessing I need to measure the length as well as diameter?

Also would the exact model number be helpful to anyone in finding what type of engine it would take?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
If you buy it, perform a cylinder leak down test before you change out the motor. It may be a intake and or an exhaust valve issue. Check the Kohler web site for the manual on it.

AllThingsOrange

Equipment
2008 Kubota T2080
Apr 25, 2016
Southeast, Texas
If you buy it, perform a cylinder leak down test before you change out the motor. It may be a intake and or an exhaust valve issue. Check the Kohler web site for the manual on it.
On that thought Tom he did mention pulling the valve cover and said they weren't stick open. I'm with your thinking, it could be something other than the rings. I also don't have a tool to perform a leak down test.

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
On that thought Tom he did mention pulling the valve cover and said they weren't stick open. I'm with your thinking, it could be something other than the rings. I also don't have a tool to perform a leak down test.
Its just gauge with adapters for putting air in the cylinder. Check Harbor freight for cheep one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID