B3350 vs LX3310 issues

lescarpentier

Equipment
B3350
Oct 12, 2016
Washington
The biggest problems with the B3350 was operator error, ignoring regen lights, shutting tractor down during regen, running tractor a low rpms, which will plug the filter. then the computer locks up the tractor. In 4 yrs mine has had zero issues.
Exact words from a 25 yr Kubota Mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is patently false. I followed the recommendations to the letter and mine is in the shop again. The first time at about 290 hours needed a new reformer because it wouldn't complete a parked regen. This time at about 610 hours it failed to complete a parked regen again. This time it is getting another new reformer and a muffler, (DPF). It has been in the shop since early October. The mechanic said that this time almost $8,000 in parts. I think this system may work better if I used ground engaging implements but I don't. I use mine for backhoe and loader work and no matter what RPM you run your tractor at there just isn't enough load to get high enough exhaust temperatures.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
This is patently false. I followed the recommendations to the letter and mine is in the shop again. The first time at about 290 hours needed a new reformer because it wouldn't complete a parked regen. This time at about 610 hours it failed to complete a parked regen again. This time it is getting another new reformer and a muffler, (DPF). It has been in the shop since early October. The mechanic said that this time almost $8,000 in parts. I think this system may work better if I used ground engaging implements but I don't. I use mine for backhoe and loader work and no matter what RPM you run your tractor at there just isn't enough load to get high enough exhaust temperatures.
Your issue is only one of the failure modes of the reformer based DPF system used on the B3350.

In my case, is was/is exhaust over temperature causing immediate engine shut down.

Since I purchased my (fully up to date) B3350 new in 2018, it has completed precisely 1 operating regeneration without failure/shut down. No problems with parked regenerations.

Yes, I too was told by Kubota (not dealer) representative that it was operator error before I demonstrated that it was not.

It sounds like Kubota is doing to your tractor what was done to mine when it was in the shop for 12 solid weeks, i.e., replace reformer, DPF, check injectors, pump and timing, as well as (in my case, at least) other procedures.

Since return, I've been reluctant to use it because I must pay to have it hauled to/from my dealer each time it fails and may also need to convince Kubota, yet again, that the failure was not due to operator error. Dealer bills me if Kubota declines warranty coverage as has already happened once.

I am anything but confident that the regen issues with my B3350 are resolved or even that it is possible to do so.

Shame on Kubota.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
If I had one of those I would fight with the dealer/kubota to let me buy it for cheap and release them from warranty. Then I would delete that and put a old stock flange/exhaust on it and turn up some fuel. I bet it would be sweet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If I had one of those I would fight with the dealer/kubota to let me buy it for cheap and release them from warranty. Then I would delete that and put a old stock flange/exhaust on it and turn up some fuel. I bet it would be sweet.
Good luck controlling the common rail fuel supply without the ECM.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Problem is, I've already bought mine.

SDT

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Good luck controlling the common rail fuel supply without the ECM.
I am not aware of the 3350 being common rail. That would be a problem, if true.

The whole mess can be removed and replaced with a turbo flange and an exhaust pipe. Whenever the warranty is up, I guess. I would think if you are coming in a couple times a year for $8000 emission repair on warranty they might pay you to release them. Then you can do whatever you want.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am not aware of the 3350 being common rail. That would be a problem, if true.

The whole mess can be removed and replaced with a turbo flange and an exhaust pipe. Whenever the warranty is up, I guess. I would think if you are coming in a couple times a year for $8000 emission repair on warranty they might pay you to release them. Then you can do whatever you want.
Oops, wasn't clear what you meant by "one of those".. you are quite correct the B3350 does not have common rail. The LX series does include common rail engines.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Was there an L series tractor that has a bad rep due to similar dpf/emissions issues like the B3350?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Oops, wasn't clear what you meant by "one of those".. you are quite correct the B3350 does not have common rail. The LX series does include common rail engines.
Was there an L series tractor that has a bad rep due to similar dpf/emissions issues like the B3350?
No. All the bigger L series (L60 and L01) that were rolled out in 2013 at the same time as the B3350 have common rail engines and have been relatively trouble free. Except the L2501, which is too small to require a dpf filter, which is also trouble free with an old style engine. A similar approach to the B3350 was put in I think a lawn mower and maybe an ATV? where it has caused trouble. The LX tractors, new this year, replace the B2650 and the B3350.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
No. All the L series (L60 and L01) that were rolled out in 2013 at the same time as the B3350 have common rail engines and have been relatively trouble free. A similar approach to the B3350 was put in I think a lawn mower and maybe an ATV? where it has caused trouble. The LX tractors, new this year, replace the B2650 and the B3350.
The reformer system was on B3350 tractor, ZD1511 & F3930 mowers. No RTV to date has had any exhaust after treatment.

Reactions: 1 user

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
There is a thread over on TbN with some LX3310 users having a super acrid, eye watering for some, smell in the exhaust immediately upon start up (so not just oils and paints burning off). This is an anecdotal group, but I was one of them. In all cases it seems to have self corrected after the engine runs really hot for a period and then is fine at all rpms/temp. For some this ends up being their first regen at about 50 hours. Mine was when I was at 6 hours and I ran the tractor hard with front covers from another OTT member (trying to keep things warm in northern MN winter) and unintentionally got it so hot the EM light went on. But ever since it has been fume free operation at normal temps. Pure speculation but seems like a catalyst or something in the DFE systems needs to get good and hot once to work normally thereafter - and some users naturally run hot from the start and don't see it and others baby it for a while when new and have the fume problem. Your milage may vary. FWIW - my first 15 hours with my LX3310 have exceeded my expectations and I would definitely buy a second time.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
For us with a bit less knowledge: what is meant by "common rail"

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
For us with a bit less knowledge: what is meant by "common rail"
Grossly oversimplified, high pressure, electronically controlled fuel injection vis a vis mechanical fuel injection as used on the 3350.

SDT