380-289A third function issue

Old fart

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Elk, Wa.
Last year I bought the SGC0554 Land Pride grapple and the 380-289A third function valve kit for the BX2380. Shortly before taking it off for the winter, the curl while opening or closing feature stopped working. All the functions still work and I can still open or close the grapple while lifting. Just not while curling. ItÂ’s still under warranty, but the dealership wants me to bring it to them to check out. IÂ’m in the middle of logging cleanup at our place and donÂ’t want to loose the use of the tractor right now. I cannot find anything online that deals with this specific problem. What troubleshooting procedure would you guys recommend. It was originally installed at the dealership.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Others on here much more knowledgeable than me. I have the same grapple, not sure on the valve, on my BX 2660. Are you sure that both the curl and open/close worked simultaneously? I ask because on mine the valve is really a diverter that diverts the pressure from the curl function to the open/close. So I can't use both simultaneously.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Disconnect and reconnect both the third function valve at the rear and the loader and reseat connections.

Does the Joy stick feel odd at all?

Old fart

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Elk, Wa.
Thanks for the reply Wolfman! I’ll try that. I did that up front at the grapple but not where you suggest. Joystick and everything else feels normal......

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My third function stopped work yet everything else was working. It was under warranty so I took it back. They worked on it so they say, replaced the fluid and it work again at the dealer. When I got it home the 3rd function stopped again. Back to the shop. This time fluid and filter were both changed. I have never had a problem since.

Old fart

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 10, 2019
Elk, Wa.
Well, the reseating didn’t change anything, but thanks for the idea. The fluid change was something I was thinking about. I changed the filter at 100 hours as called for. The fluid isn’t due to be changed yet, but I’ve seen pictures online of the intake strainers being clogged with sealant material at very few hours. Maybe I’ll change the fluid, filter and clean the strainer. It just seems odd that a clogged filter or strainer would only affect one function with everything else operating normally.......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well, the reseating didn’t change anything, but thanks for the idea. The fluid change was something I was thinking about. I changed the filter at 100 hours as called for. The fluid isn’t due to be changed yet, but I’ve seen pictures online of the intake strainers being clogged with sealant material at very few hours. Maybe I’ll change the fluid, filter and clean the strainer. It just seems odd that a clogged filter or strainer would only affect one function with everything else operating normally.......
It's much more likely that you have a spool valve issue or a linkage issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, are those components within he third function valve and therefore be covered under warranty?
No, but close, they are components in the loader valve, but they should be covered under warranty... 1 year if I remember right. ;)