L2850 loss of power

M Campbell

Mar 29, 2020
Scotland
Hoping someone can help.
My l2850 has lost power, when you start up it runs and idled ok.

When you put in gear to move off you have to rev all the way up before it moves and only very slowly. Almost no pulling power under load. Cleaned out fuel, filter, and tank. Was going to check pump next but not sure. Fuel seems to be coming through to injectors ok.:mad:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Check the air filter and passages as well. Do the revolutions seem to increase normally as the throttle is advanced? Is this a standard or hydrostatic transmission? I'm wondering if your clutch could be slipping.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is the motor slowing RPM (dogging down) when you try to move the tractor, or is the engine staying the same RPM and the tractor only moves slowly?

M Campbell

Mar 29, 2020
Scotland
Check the air filter and passages as well. Do the revolutions seem to increase normally as the throttle is advanced? Is this a standard or hydrostatic transmission? I'm wondering if your clutch could be slipping.
Air filter ok. Yes revs up normally and only starts to move when you almost put pedal to the floor. Its standard transmission.

M Campbell

Mar 29, 2020
Scotland
Is the motor slowing RPM (dogging down) when you try to move the tractor, or is the engine staying the same RPM and the tractor only moves slowly?
Rpm doesn't seem to be slowing, just need really high rpm before tractor moves and only very slowly and almost not at all when going up a little incline.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Does your PTO also get power to turn through the clutch?

Do you also have the same issue with powering something with the PTO, like a brush cutter or something requiring some torque to start turning?

Suggest you might try something on the PTO, just to prove it is very likely a clutch issue.

edit: I recall reading somewhere where a guy was having a similar problem and it ended up being that one of his rear rims was slipping within the tire...so don't write anything off at first. :)

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The clutch pedal linkage is adjustable - under the left floorboard. Maybe needs to be adjusted for more free play (should be about 1" free pedal travel)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does your PTO also get power to turn through the clutch?

Do you also have the same issue with powering something with the PTO, like a brush cutter or something requiring some torque to start turning?

Suggest you might try something on the PTO, just to prove it is very likely a clutch issue.

edit: I recall reading somewhere where a guy was having a similar problem and it ended up being that one of his rear rims was slipping within the tire...so don't write anything off at first. :)
You got to be careful as some models have dual clutches and the travel clutch can be fried and yet the PTO clutch is fine.

M Campbell

Mar 29, 2020
Scotland
The clutch pedal linkage is adjustable - under the left floorboard. Maybe needs to be adjusted for more free play (should be about 1" free pedal travel)
Just checked clutch pedal, and no free play at all. Actually hits back edge of floor where it comes up. Will try and free it up first thing tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

M Campbell

Mar 29, 2020
Scotland
Just checked clutch pedal, and no free play at all. Actually hits back edge of floor where it comes up. Will try and free it up first thing tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Thanks
Just to keep you updated,
managed to adjust the clutch and so far tractor appears to be ok now. Have had a full load in the front loader and it copied ok. Haven't tried it under load at the PTO yet but signs are good.
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will keep updated when I try it.:)