Some hydraulics not working

brian.hart

Equipment
B2320, FEL, hoe, tiller, mower, rear blade, PHD
Jun 7, 2015
Washougal, WA
B2920

I was plowing snow a couple of weeks ago with a rear blade on the three point. At the tail end of my plowing, I found that the blade was lifting very slowly. Eventually, it would not lift at all. HST was no problem. Temperature was just about freezing, so I would not suspect any water in the HST. And the problem continues now that it is 45° or more.

I made it back to my shop, dragging the blade the whole way, checked to ensure that the hydraulic fluid level was fine, and did some tests. I found that I could not raise the blade or FEL bucket. But I can curl the bucket, and if I engage the bucket raise while curling the bucket , I can raise the bucket simultaneously and even continue to raise after stopping the curl. Even then, though, I still cannot raise the blade. I loosened the three-point limit bolt/plate to allow the lever more travel, but still no lift on the three-point.

On the advice of my local Kubota shop, I shut it all down, disconnected & reconnected every hydraulic quick release I could find: I think it was four going to the FEL and one at the rear--the one that I would disconnect and connect to the backhoe. There may be others; I did not dig very deeply yet.

Earlier in the summer, we had rolled a branch up and broken off the HST filter stud on the left side, so I had replaced the filter and stud with base. That is, I do not suspect a plugged filter, since I just replaced it maybe 2-3 months ago.

It seems like this might indicate a stuck relief valve. If so, where is it, and why would it behave like this--unable to raise 3-point but always able to curl the bucket and able to raise bucket only during/after curl?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's not an HST issue, that system only controls the movement of the tractor.

It's a hydraulic issue.
If it was a stuck/ damaged relief valve the whole system wouldn't work.

The reason the three point doesn't work is that the three point gets it's fluid flow from the loader valve and that is where the issue is.

It's sounds like you have a stuck or damaged lift spool section that is causing an open fluid flow issue, it could be in the linkage, or the detent section or it could be internal issues.

Start with the simple and work up, a sick stuck in the linkage will foul it up, frozen water or damage in the detent will also cause it to have issues.

After those two issues, it's going to be way more involved to get the valve off and get into it.

brian.hart

Equipment
Jun 7, 2015
Washougal, WA
Thank you.

Now, physically, where do I want to start looking. I am not a mechanic, and hydraulic details are somewhat new to me. I just did not want to have the Kubota dealer's mechanic come out to fix this until I could determine if it was something actually significant.

I have verified that the three point lever moves smoothly without binding, and that entire linkage is fairly short and entirely visible. The bucket lift lever does tend to stick occasionally in the activated position (that is nothing new) but is easily un-stuck with a little extra pressure. Given that I was plowing in perhaps 12" snow when this occurred, the entire undercarriage would have been in the snow and potentially liable to having a stick in the snow shoved pretty much anywhere. I am just not sure exactly where else to look for any linkage problems.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you.

Now, physically, where do I want to start looking. I am not a mechanic, and hydraulic details are somewhat new to me. I just did not want to have the Kubota dealer's mechanic come out to fix this until I could determine if it was something actually significant.

I have verified that the three point lever moves smoothly without binding, and that entire linkage is fairly short and entirely visible. The bucket lift lever does tend to stick occasionally in the activated position (that is nothing new) but is easily un-stuck with a little extra pressure. Given that I was plowing in perhaps 12" snow when this occurred, the entire undercarriage would have been in the snow and potentially liable to having a stick in the snow shoved pretty much anywhere. I am just not sure exactly where else to look for any linkage problems.
I'll send you a link to the WSM (aka service manual) it will help alot with this.

Look at where the loader lever goes to the valve, that's the linkage you need to check.
The detent sections are on the bottom of the valves.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The plastic piece under the seat behind your feet is only held on with 2-4 screws. Remove it and the loader control valve is exposed to see.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have the tractor in a heated area and the valve began to work it would indicate water that had froze in the system is now thawed. Just something to check.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
OP, have you had any luck with your problem?

brian.hart

Equipment
Jun 7, 2015
Washougal, WA
Sorry about the delay here. I had called the local Kubota dealer, and they said it sounded like a bad coupler. I uncoupled and recoupled everything, to no avail. I finally hauled the tractor over to the shop and left it there for a week and a half. They were busy and could not get to it for over a week.

But when I called to check on the status a week later, I talked to the mechanic, and once I described the problem, he reiterated his suspicion that it sounded like a coupler. An hour and $37 later, it was all fixed. It was a bad coupler at the backhoe connection. I did not have the backhoe attached, and when it is not attached, of course, that hose functions purely as a return.

It is not too surprising that they had a quick fix for something that seemed like a mystery to me, given that I do not understand hydraulic routing all that well. After all, I manage business computer networks for a living and they sell/repair Kubota tractors. I appreciate the help here, as always, and perhaps my experience can be of some help to someone else later.