no power to glow plugs

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
no power at plugs, no heat at finger hole, previously was sporadic heat at finger hole and plugs would heat to start but no more. Wiring diagram shows nothing after key like a relay or a fuse only finger hole element.
Where do I start to get power back to plugs?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm not familiar with the term finger hole element. If the circuitry is similar to my old Mitsubishi there's a series dropping resistor which also glows between the key and the glow plugs. Glow plugs are not generally twelve volt devices, 10.5 volts is more common. If your glow plugs are good (unknown to me) your resistor may have opened. It may not be burned out but the contacts between the wire and the terminal may have corroded or burned to the point there's no continuity, hence no voltage to the glow plugs. You could start there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
He means GP indicator.

You need to start with removing the wires / buss bar to all the glow plugs and check them individually for resistance.

Then check voltage at the wire and to each side of the indicator.

Voltage to the glow plugs has 2 paths, one path is when the switch is turned backwards to the glow setting and that puts power through the indicator then on to the glow plugs.

The second path is when it's cranking, this path bypasses the indicator and send power directly to the glowplugs.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
interesting: I don't know how to read ohms and voltage but I did test power to glow plug with key turned to start position and there was power to the plugs which (I think) explains why it will always eventually start with long cranking times.
does it indicate that my ignition switch is bad?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
interesting: I don't know how to read ohms and voltage but I did test power to glow plug with key turned to start position and there was power to the plugs which (I think) explains why it will always eventually start with long cranking times.
does it indicate that my ignition switch is bad?
More likely a bad indicator or wiring... get a simple test light.
Test in and out on the indicator.

The indicator is just an open air heating element power goes in and power goes out.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Yes . That piece of equipment i do have and know how to use.
Thank you so much. It will be nice if its a simple fix

Last edited by a moderator:

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
More likely a bad indicator or wiring... get a simple test light.
Test in and out on the indicator.

The indicator is just an open air heating element power goes in and power goes out.
Tried testing in indicator posts and got no power. Tried indicator post on ingnition and got no power coming out when key turned to glow setting

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you get no power out of the switch to the indicator when you turn the key in reverse, then yes your most likely issue is a bad ignition switch.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Thanks for your help. Replacing the ignition doesn’t look too hard. I guess the steering wheel has to come off

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks for your help. Replacing the ignition doesn’t look too hard. I guess the steering wheel has to come off
No need to remove steering wheel.

See attached photo. Unscrew trim ring indicated by yellow arrow and pull out switch assembly from back of instrument panel. Remove battery ground cable first.

Dave

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just a caution to know what color wires attach to what post on the switch before you remove any.

If you can take pictures of the arrangement beforehand so you can see what you have. Kubota loves red wires and red wires with white stripes so take care on that. If your tractor lives in a dusty world then you may need to wipe the wires with a moist rag to be sure to see the colors.

I replaced mine on an old L185 this past weekend and the hardest part was getting the spade covers pulled back to the switch after attaching the wire. Hopefully Kubota has switched to a plug.

Also note there is a little tab on the switch that you have to get into a slot so it won’t rotate.

There is probably a plastic washer involved that goes on the side with the nut so it doesn’t dig in while being turned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk