Bx wheel weights

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
I have looked around and have not been able to find wheel weights that fit nicely inside the rim like the one pictured
The man in the picture says that they are Bolens weights and are something like 30 years old.

I do not want to fill my tires..... and I would really prefer a weight to fit 'inside" the rim.

Thank You

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
or you could take the wheels off,,, and cut a 5 gallon bucket off fill with cement and stick a couple long pieces of threaded rod in to the cement using the wheels to spot the holes

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes they do that is not a problem,, one other approach is you head to your scrap yard and find some 1 inch steel plate, and either you or someone else cut it to fit in the rim. Drill holes inthe plate and bolt it inside the rim. odds are you wont get the weight you want. And I am still wondering why you do want to fill the tires,, thats cheap easy and you can get all the weight you need

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Filling tubes with cacium/water is always bad, look at all old farm tractors, when they did this....No matter how careful you are, some salt water leaks out....game over....it take over a day to PROPERLY desalt/clean/paint any rim that's been attacked by salt. Last summer I tossed out 7 rims...figure $350 Canucks to replace, per rim...NOT including new tubes and NOT including the time to desalt the tire !
Using WWiper fluid is kinda bad for the ground....beet juice is great but MESSY.
The best, clean weights are steel or concrete. Now if you have a stash of tungsten......!!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Salt water is bad yes,there are however a few alternatives. like beet juice, or windshield fluid or RV antifreeze all work very well and wont rust your rims, and are easy do it yourself at home in the garage and inexpensive, except the beet juice

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I know sky doesnt want to fill his tires, but put me in the camp with saying to just fill them... I just went through this myself. My tires had washer fluid in them, drained them into containers, changed the tires, filled them, never spilled more than a few drops. You can use a little 1 gallon bug sprayer, install a schrader valve in it, cut off the wand before the trigger. and you stick that 1/4" ID hose directly on the valve stem (absent the valve core). Air it up with your compressor, repeat 20 times. Took about an hour to fill.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Another thing that can be done is put inner tubes in the tires and fill with water. I did that for a neighbor of mine and it works great. He was also concerned about the water rusting the rims so that is why he sprung for the tubes and I helped him with putting the tubes in the tires and filling with water. In our climate we rarely have to worry about water freezing in the tubes with the volume of water that is in the tubes. This was for a BX2350 that is garaged when not in use.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
Well, I purchased a set of Bolens wheel weights on Epay, They cost $165 shipped (shipping is $20 per weight)

I soaked them in: Evapo-Rust The Original Super Safe Rust Remover, Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, 1 Gallon..... It was $17 on amazon

I then decided to use my Grinder with a: Radnor Knot Wire Wheel 4" X 5/8-11 Standard Twist

I went to the Kubota dealer and purchased the Orange spray paint ($15 for 1 can!!)

Now I just need to figure out how I should Prime them (I think the weights are Cast Iron).... and I have run into allot of do this, do that... use this, use that :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Attachments

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
Sometimes we have to pay the price to get what we really want. Good find and I bet theyll look great when youre done with them. Looking good already! -Brad

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Now I just need to figure out how I should Prime them (I think the weights are Cast Iron).... and I have run into allot of do this, do that... use this, use that :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
nice find! those will come out great
I did something similar with 40 pound john deere suitcase weights, used a wheel to sand them down, shot them with primer and sprayed them kubota gray. They have been up front running over brush, knocking around and the paint is still fine. I did learn an important lesson, to never sand iron while on your asphalt driveway. :eek:

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Weights look like they will work great!
Having a BX1880 (smallest model) with no backhoe, I thought about wheel weights.
I decided against it only because I decided to do wheel spacer extensions to make the monster wider ( it's TIPPY!:eek:) and I did not want to stress the axels even more with additional weight.
What I do if I need the weight is to put on my heaviest rear attachment (525lbs) on the rear and leave my loader on.
I know this is not ideal for everyone but that's what I do.

Good luck!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
lunasdude,,, no worreis mate use the spacers and fill the tires and or weights you wont hurt a thing!

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Wheels support the axles. Axles support the rest of the tractor.

Bruce

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Hmmm, may have to do wheel weights if it won't damage the axles.

I tend to side on caution with my little monster which is why I did not put the spacers on the front axles.

I read that most of the small axles on the BX series are already under stressed load with the FEL and screwing with the spacers on the front will not really help because of the swinging action and may hasten damage to the front.
But wheel weights may be the way to go, especially on the front. :confused:

The narrow nature of the BX series make them prone to be tippy if your not very careful.
The spacers on the rear of the tractor does make them more stable and with the addition of wheel weights maybe better stability?:confused: