L175 trans rebuild

tyrepros

Equipment
L175, Woods mower, Aerator, rake, kids rides
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Group,

Been using my L175 for years with a grinding pilot and or throwout bearing, Little reverse gear left and fear that it would all someday come to a screeching halt. It has not but I have amassed the parts I feel I need to rebuild the tranny including Main and reverse shafts, reverse gear, bearings, seals and a complete clutch setup.

Was thinking about sending the hard parts out to be Cryo-treated, but have been more concerened with making time and patience to split this unit both front and rear, lay it on a table and disect and rebuild it after a good cleaning.

Anyone have any pointers in doing so, any shortcuts or time savers in either the breakdown or rebuild, tooling or upgrading while in there...

Thanks,

Joe-NJ

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
tyre welcome and I was hoping one of these L175 owners would pipe up with a cookbook recipe but if you have the WSM and a good level concrete floor with jacks and jackstands with handtools you can do it. :).

Now what is this process " Cryo-treated " ? :confused:

tyrepros

Equipment
L175, Woods mower, Aerator, rake, kids rides
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Jedi,

The cryo treatment is used alot in Racing and auto/metalurgy applications to releive tension and strengthen the metal. One probably helpful in crashboxes where the gears and shafts get beat up. Also used in brake rotors and engine parts and rear parts by those who drive around a track for a living. They heat up or cool down the metal to wicked extremes and it affects the grain or makeup of the metal "stuff"

Regards,

Joe