Driving my 2650 up and down slopes

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Here's one slope I mow...fairly steep, don't you think? Sometimes I drive up; sometimes I back up.

The manuals don't say you can't drive up; rather they say "don't drive up a slope you can't back up." This goes to my point about it being easier from a traction standpoint for a machine to be able to drive up rather than back up.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Yikes! Most slopes in pictures look tame, much less tricky than they appear from the seat of a tractor.

This one looks terrifying!

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
It's pretty steep. The seatbelt is what holds you in place when you back up. And yes, the wheels will slip occasionally as you back up the hill, or drive up the hill.

The key is that no matter what happens, you can't let the tractor get sideways if it starts to slide. A roll on this hill, even with ROPs and a belt, could be fatal.

The loader needs to come off for backing up this hill, as well. I tried with it on and the rear wheels were starting to lift, even with a heavy flail mower on the back and loaded rears.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All of these Kubotas are much more stable on a slope when you ditch the loader!

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I’ve driven up it and backed up it. I do not know the angle in degrees, but it is very near the limit of the tractor I’d say. Extremely steep...you’d not be able to steer or press the HST pedal without the seatbelt holding you in place.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I'm all for reversing up slopes too. I would rather have the steering wheels with weight on them if anything goes wrong. If you are driving up and the front end gets light you better hope both back wheels are pulling good enough to keep you straight til you get to the top because there is no stopping halfway

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Trover - Yikes indeed!

My slopes are steep, but short. Yours almost looks like some dams I've seen.

I'm afraid of heights. Your picture gave me the heeby-jeebies.:eek:

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Here's one slope I mow...fairly steep, don't you think? Sometimes I drive up; sometimes I back up.

The manuals don't say you can't drive up; rather they say "don't drive up a slope you can't back up." This goes to my point about it being easier from a traction standpoint for a machine to be able to drive up rather than back up.
Looks like some of the fields we used to hay. No Guts, No Glory!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I’ve driven up it and backed up it. I do not know the angle in degrees, but it is very near the limit of the tractor I’d say. Extremely steep...you’d not be able to steer or press the HST pedal without the seatbelt holding you in place.
I say this with the kindest of regards, your nuts and pay your life insurance! :D

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I think I would take the rear tires off and flip them backwards so that I could back up that hill easier. I do not know if it would work but I might try it once just to see.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Trover - Yikes indeed!

My slopes are steep, but short. Yours almost looks like some dams I've seen.

I'm afraid of heights. Your picture gave me the heeby-jeebies.:eek:

It is actually a dam. I mow three dams like this one, which is probably the steepest but not the largest.

I also do a capped landfill which actually has one sloped section steeper than this, but not as high. I know it's steeper because the tractor can't quite make it up all the way in some spots!

I've been mowing these for 5 years now. The first time through I was pretty terrified as well; now it doesn't bother me in the least. Just like the pilot of an aircraft, I run through a checklist of "what to do" if the tractor slides, a wheel lifts, etc. That way I can react instantly and prevent a major problem.

NIW - life insurance is paid! But I think with caution this type of mowing is safe. Ag tires are better than R4's, I will say that.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Troverman - I'm assuming that at some stage you'll be crossing slopes - but not the really steep ones - rather than going up or down. If in that situation, and if you get a sense that the uphill wheel getting light, do you prefer to turn uphill or down? (Theres conflicting advice on government safety websites and other places about which way to turn when you are slowly crossing a slope and you decide you'd rather not).

+1 on removing the FEL for steep work.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Troverman - I'm assuming that at some stage you'll be crossing slopes - but not the really steep ones - rather than going up or down. If in that situation, and if you get a sense that the uphill wheel getting light, do you prefer to turn uphill or down? (Theres conflicting advice on government safety websites and other places about which way to turn when you are slowly crossing a slope and you decide you'd rather not).

+1 on removing the FEL for steep work.
If you are on a sidehill parallel to the slope and feel a rollover is imminent, you need to turn *downhill* immediately. Turning uphill intuitively feels better, but it will result in expediting the rollover.

There are times I do turn uphill, but not when I feel a rollover is about to happen. The key to sidehill safety is to operate slowly, keep your mower down. If you need to lift your mower, only lift it a few inches, not fully like you might normally do. I actually prefer to keep the loader ON for sidehill operation. The bucket is wider than the front wheel track, and I keep it only a few inches off the ground. I can quickly put it on the ground to help stabilize the tractor if it were to start to tip. The loader weight also offsets the mower weight, making it less likely for the rear of the tractor to slide downhill.

I do have to mow about 30 acres, all on sidehills of varying steepness. Never had an incident yet, but a couple of times been close.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
If you are on a sidehill parallel to the slope and feel a rollover is imminent, you need to turn *downhill* immediately. Turning uphill intuitively feels better, but it will result in expediting the rollover.
What you say lines up with what an experienced local told me too. When it starts feeling hairy he stamps on the downhill indepent brake and winds on the lock to turn downhill as quick as he can. With an oscillating front axle the greatest roll danger is usually when the tractor is pointing slightly downhill... this might be what you feel intuitively... gotta get through that danger zone as fast as possible before it topples. He agrees turning uphill is more dangerous, as you say "expediting the rollover".

.... I actually prefer to keep the loader ON for sidehill operation. The bucket is wider than the front wheel track, and I keep it only a few inches off the ground. I can quickly put it on the ground to help stabilize the tractor if it were to start to tip.
I hadn't thought of that aspect. On my machine the bucket is narrower and not much help for stabilising, so I take the FEL off because on steeper side slopes it's C of G is always downhill of the roll axis even when carried low.

I do have to mow about 30 acres, all on sidehills of varying steepness. Never had an incident yet, but a couple of times been close.
Great wisdom and experience on this forum -thanks for answering and sharing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you are on a sidehill parallel to the slope and feel a rollover is imminent, you need to turn *downhill* immediately.
100% agree, it "steals or redirects" the force that was trying to roll it over in the first place. ;)