Studded tires

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
I saw in another thread about using studs in the tires over chains. I have a BX23S and there doesn't seem to be enough room for chains without spacers. The R4s aren't as good as the R1s on the old machine I get a lot of side slide on the front and wheel spin depending on the consistency of the snow. Are studs a viable option? I have zero knowledge of these studs but curious how well they compare to chains?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Studs won't be much help in snow. Chains kind of press into snow to give more tread in the stuff. Studs help a bit on an ice surface as they will bit into it. If you can even come up with some kind of cable chain it would be more help than studs in snow.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For what it's worth, I've put chains on my BX2360 since new without spacers.

It is snug in there, but keep them tight and it works.

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
I saw in another thread about using studs in the tires over chains. I have a BX23S and there doesn't seem to be enough room for chains without spacers. The R4s aren't as good as the R1s on the old machine I get a lot of side slide on the front and wheel spin depending on the consistency of the snow. Are studs a viable option? I have zero knowledge of these studs but curious how well they compare to chains?
Studded tires are awesome for ice! I haven't used chains on my 4060, but I have used them on a lawn tractor (with snowblower). I found chains give a rough ride and would slip on ice if you're pushing into heavy snow. Not sure the same would be true with a heavier machine. R4's work really well in deep snow, ice is the only issue.

The only problem with studs is that they will damage concrete, though I think chains could as well. I keep mine in all year, they do help with traction on rocks and wet logs.