Starter solenoid on B6100 - how to disassemble?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I'm trying to check the contacts in the solenoid of my B6100 while I have the starter on the bench. I've taken the screws off the cap and pried it off the body to the point that it's no longer "glued on" (you know how they get welded by corrosion and paint). I can pull it away from the body about 1/32" but something inside is resisting -- feels like a wire or connector is fastened to the inside of the cap. I loosened the posts and the energizer wire as well. What am I missing? (skeets, don't just tell me I'm missing the Jameson, email or FAX me a shot!)

Thanks!

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Would have to see a side shot of the whole housing, i thought housing was crimped so it wont come apart so easy. Only a rare few solenoids can be serviced.likely solenoid wont come apart til its off of starter.

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
I wondered about that when I had trouble separating it (I have removed it from the starter) and examined it to see if the edge had been rolled or crimped. I saw only one hint, a deep stake or peen. I decided it wasn't staked because I could get it so far apart.

I'll take some pics of it and post them.

Thanks!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sometimes those selonoids cost almost the same amount as the starter. Dad priced out both for his. Selenoid was within $30 of what it cost for the whole enchilada :rolleyes:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If you wish this to survive, I would stop now, and get the motor working first as mentioned in the other post. Once the motor works and has a circuit through it, your solenoid should work. I recommend to forget the starter contacts for now. If you un-solder the pull-in and hold-in coils you may have difficulty reassembling the solenoid. Prove the motor circuit first, then connect solenoid and try it. Totally up to you though.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I think you spent more time than allocated for this part of the project...as mentioned,dont buy a solenoid until you prove motor works.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
I think you spent more time than allocated for this part of the project...as mentioned,dont buy a solenoid until you prove motor works.
Yep! Too many interruptions, and attention span shorter than a frisky puppy. Not to mention some changes in direction on learning of my errors. :eek:

Thanks, eh!

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Update: Starter solenoid on B6100 - how to disassemble?

Drat! Just realized I shudda, wudda, cudda tested my solenoid before putting the new starter on the tractor.

Yep, gave up on finding a shop that rebuilds starters, as well as exhausted from trying to find starter parts compatible with the 15231-63015.

With what I learned from 100 td :cool: I expect the solenoid is still in good condition. It didn't occur to me until just now to put it on the new starter (not an exact match, but would have fit and should have worked) and bench-test it. Oh well. Hopefully I'll pick up some parts for the old starter and finish rebuilding it. Someday.

Thanks to you guys for all your advice and suggestions!