Hours vs Years on Tractor

General

Sep 4, 2019
Altoona, Al
As I was shopping for a tractor I’ve run across some that has years but little hours, I’ve always been under the impression lose it if you don’t use it. One I’m looking at is 10 years old with 100 hours and appears not to have been garage kept, all implements sit outside. I haven’t see this in person yet. I know to look at the grease fittings to lubricant and a little messy but what else. Also should all the filters and fluids be replaced due to time or keep with the hours maintenance schedule? If all the fluids need replaced what is the est cost (diy) so I can work into my price.
This is a L3240 with loader and backhoe and other implements
Any thoughts

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Personally Id probably walk away from a machine like that unless it was an absolute steal of a deal. The problems are you wont see whats going on inside.

Moisture sneaks in everywhere and an unused machine sitting out in the elements simply rots in place. Think of un-lubricated seals and bearings, condensation moisture in the oil reservoirs, cracking rubber tires sitting in one position in the sun, corroded electrical connections, blah blah blah. Chances are it still has the factory oil and filters.

If it was at least stored out of the elements you might get lucky. Expect to find things like rodent and insect nests and things dining on tasty rubber parts.

Disuse can be another form of abuse.

You can get a really good deal on a new machine with warranty, especially if the guy is asking new like prices.

If I got it Id grease everything well, run it good and hot to burn off any internal moisture then change all the fluids and filters to get rid off any contaminants.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The guy across the street is having some work done to create a driveway in a a near impossible location and the contractor has an L3240. It is a very handy little tractor, much abused and seems to come back for more. At around 32 hp you won't find a new one that fits those specs without getting into a larger frame and emissions equipment. If the one you are looking at starts and runs well, any work you would have to do to get its maintenance up to snuff would be worth it. As to see the maintenance records for this one. It might have been well looked after.

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
As I was shopping for a tractor I’ve run across some that has years but little hours, I’ve always been under the impression lose it if you don’t use it. One I’m looking at is 10 years old with 100 hours and appears not to have been garage kept, all implements sit outside. I haven’t see this in person yet. I know to look at the grease fittings to lubricant and a little messy but what else. Also should all the filters and fluids be replaced due to time or keep with the hours maintenance schedule? If all the fluids need replaced what is the est cost (diy) so I can work into my price.
This is a L3240 with loader and backhoe and other implements
Any thoughts
if that was the 3240 (FB marketplace) i was looking at it is gone, seemed like a decent deal for the hours and implements that were included, but i could not get with the guy to check it out, he posted it for sale on Saturday then i didn't hear back from him till Sunday night, told me first chance to look at it would be Friday afternoon, almost a week after he posted it for sale:mad:, who post an item for sale and is so slow to respond and then unavailable to meet:(

10 hrs a year seems awfully low, but i have seen several instance where people buy and have minimal usage:confused:

General

Sep 4, 2019
Altoona, Al
Your right, it did sale, I spoke with him last week and couldn***8217;t give much information. But what does a complete filter/ fluids replaced cost approximately for Compact L ***8216;s or b2650 tractor so I have it in my mind
For the experienced tractor buyers or dealers, is there a magic time of year to buy new? End of year , but I***8217;d have to find what I want in stock of course.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Your right, it did sale, I spoke with him last week and couldn’t give much information. But what does a complete filter/ fluids replaced cost approximately for Compact L ‘s or b2650 tractor so I have it in my mind
Complete service for my L3200 is roughly $300-350 if I remember correctly. That’s with kubota filters, sudt 2 hydraulic fluid and synthetic rotella oil.

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
Your right, it did sale, I spoke with him last week and couldn***8217;t give much information. But what does a complete filter/ fluids replaced cost approximately for Compact L ***8216;s or b2650 tractor so I have it in my mind
For the experienced tractor buyers or dealers, is there a magic time of year to buy new? End of year , but I***8217;d have to find what I want in stock of course.
i have experienced some "quirky" buyers before ( a few) but he was the most bizarre seller i have ever encountered:eek::confused:

BTW and FWIW, i go ahead and service anything when i first get it and work towards next hourly service time, cant help much on the cost on a 3200 but my 5030 runs around 400 for everything fluid and filter wise;)

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Mary Kay roof and rear fenders on mine.
Dealer said the PO stored it inside but backed up to a window in the barn and thus the pink rears.:rolleyes:
1100 hrs on a 2010 mostly used for haying and hauling maple sugar gear around. No heavy work, bucket still had most all of its paint.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
OK...I give up...what is ***8217 supposed to mean??
It means you had a smart quote instead of a normal quote in your text. Often means you copied and pasted from a Microsoft product that makes smart quotes. Basically you can replace that with ' and it then reads fine.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m not the most experienced tractor-guy present but it appears to me that it’s common for tractors to do a lot of sitting for the average guy who has a job other than tractor-work. Even tractors used in agriculture are often found sitting for long periods in the off-season.
That said, sitting is hard on internal combustion engines. They rust internally. Every day the temperature warms and the air inside expands/expels....then every night it cools and humid air is sucked back inside. Without hot oil being distributed regularly the insides suffer.
About the only thing worse than sitting.... Is the guy who thinks he’s doing the engine good by the occasional start’er up and run it 20 minutes...then shut’er back down for another month. Each time fossil fuel is burned the by-product is carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and... WATER VAPOR which incorporates into the oil to sit and eat away at the insides. If that oil isn’t brought up to HOT and KEPT THERE for an hour you’re doing more harm than good. Sitting engines need oil changes too. So does transmissions and hydraulic systems. They also have seals that need hot oil applied to keep them soft and pliable.
I have had good experience with old under-used tractors however. They are not fine wrist-watches...they are heavy-duty industrial machines that are sturdy and well constructed. My 1996 Kubota M4700 had less than 400 hrs on it after 20 years of mostly sitting in a shed and other than mouse-eaten wiring that required troubleshooting/repair it’s clearly a great machine with many years of service ahead of it. I expect my great grandkids will enjoy it also. :p

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mary Kay roof and rear fenders on mine.
Dealer said the PO stored it inside but backed up to a window in the barn and thus the pink rears.:rolleyes:
1100 hrs on a 2010 mostly used for haying and hauling maple sugar gear around. No heavy work, bucket still had most all of its paint.
Both my M's are a nice shade of Mary Kay pink as well. Quality top coat Kubota uses....

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
It means you had a smart quote instead of a normal quote in your text. Often means you copied and pasted from a Microsoft product that makes smart quotes. Basically you can replace that with ' and it then reads fine.
Thank you.

hugho

Apr 27, 2012
jackson wy usa
Years are all about garage kept vs. outside. If outside years really matter.
We have long had an expression for old but low mile equipment. We call it the "TIME TERMITE". It does matter whether stored inside or outside but of course the climate matters. If you stored it outside in London there would be more disuse damage than stored in the desert in California where military and civilian aircraft sit for years until they are needed and they hold up well if they are sealed up .