Molybdenum based EP grease

Rideon

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501, BH77, LA525.
May 24, 2019
SC. USA
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality molybdenum EP grease?

Thanks in advance.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Most personal favorites are are opinionated horth-thit. Just use a major-bran and you***8217;ll be fine.

Cobraone

Equipment
B2650, G1800 FWS, B2782B snow blower, RC48G20 mower deck
Jan 27, 2018
Boyne City, Michigan
Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Amsoil EP is good grease as Bulldog says. I use it but my main grease is Mobil EP Synthetic which I buy in 150 pound drums. I have an ARO air greaser.

In reality thay are all good, so long as they are not clay based. Clay based grease tends to clog up zerk fittings.

In my view, the key to proper greasing is do it often. Kubota recommends every 10 hours on the loader. I do the entire tractor every 10 hours, not just the loader.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What ever is on the shelf. It really makes little to no difference.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Like Sidecarflip mentioned clay base grease can cause all kinds of problems. They bought us a barrel at the quarry because it was a little cheaper. Probably cost us $100k in bearings and down time. Just a small amount of heat and it will turn back to dirt.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This is what we use in our service department and in our Rental fleet. It is the stickiest, hard to remove, nastiest stuff I have ever seen. A little drop on the floor and you have to scrub with brake or carb cleaner to remove it. That said, it is awsome grease.

Kubota Moly-Lithium All-Purpose Heavy Duty Grease
Designed for use in agricultural, automotive, construction and industrial applications.

Specially formulated lithium complex with 3 percent molybdenum disulfide/graphite NLGI 2, GC-LB rated extreme pressure grease.

Will not plate out forming an adhering film on metallic surfaces reducing the coefficient of friction
Molybdenum disulfide/graphite will act as a dry lubricant when necessary
Cost-effective
Excellent high-temperature protection ***8211; operating range 0°F to +350°F
Applications

Metal to metal applications
Fifth wheel grease
Heavy-duty construction and off-road equipment (mining)
Excellent for bucket and kingpins
Product Codes and Container Sizes Available
70000-10401 14 oz.

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Like Sidecarflip mentioned clay base grease can cause all kinds of problems. They bought us a barrel at the quarry because it was a little cheaper. Probably cost us $100k in bearings and down time. Just a small amount of heat and it will turn back to dirt.
Fair point, clay base is not on the shelves here so not a problem.

countryguy

Equipment
L2550/FEL/BH M6060/FEL ++
Nov 23, 2018
Fenton
Love the suggestions. Been looking for my next grease case - I guess I wanted ask w/ so much experience here about Cold weather specs? One of the suggested noted 40F or higher. And I run my gear down into the teens and negative temps here in MI. I'll check the mining/cont. brand noted ... but thought I would ask what ya'll thought about a cold weather grease and a summer time grease? 1 and the same... or two brands.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Here's some reading on why and how MoS2 is used in mono-layer surface contact. It works even as a dry lubricant.

I believe the original "Molykote" was made by Merriman Brothers in Worcester, MA (became a div of Litton) - I still have a tube. Molybdenum disufide is good stuff. Any established manufacturer of industrial lubricants offering MoS2 product is likely to be an acceptable choice.

Another product here.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Back when I had unlimited funds (before I retired fully) and price was no object, I used Lubrication Engineers, Teflon fortified high tack EP synthetic grease, but at 2000 bucks a 150 pound drum, that got old pretty fast. It is good grease though. One of those 'get it on your hands, no amount of scrubbing gets it off greases.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am always suspicious of “Teflon” additives in lubricants. (Also called PTFE)

In greases it may or may not be appropriate but in OILs is is virtually ALWAYS a bad idea! I’m reminded of the PTFE advertised in certain engine oils and snake-oil engine additives. If it remains suspended in the oil after a few minutes it means your oil filter is not doing it’s job and it means the PTFE particles are contaminating your lubricating oil and interfering with the oils’ purpose.

PTFE/Teflon is a low-temperature, low-pressure anti-friction material. It does not belong in oil or greases, IMO.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Love the suggestions. Been looking for my next grease case - I guess I wanted ask w/ so much experience here about Cold weather specs? One of the suggested noted 40F or higher. And I run my gear down into the teens and negative temps here in MI. I'll check the mining/cont. brand noted ... but thought I would ask what ya'll thought about a cold weather grease and a summer time grease? 1 and the same... or two brands.
I don't have any issues with the Amsoil Off-road grease I use in cold weather but I do keep my gun in the house. If cold temps are a issue it also comes in NLGI#1 which would pump easier.

countryguy

Equipment
L2550/FEL/BH M6060/FEL ++
Nov 23, 2018
Fenton
Ahhhh ok, Got-it That was the pump-out spec. Here's the full text. and the link. Yeah, I keep my gun in the heated garage as well. So either would work. Thanks for the note back.

Note:AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Grease is designed to remain in place for long service intervals. The same properties that provide its enhanced tenacity can also make it harder to pump, particularly in cold temperatures. AMSOIL GPOR2 pumps best in temperatures above 40°F; GPOR1 pumps best in temperatures above 0°F. A heavy follower plate may be necessary when pumping grease from larger package sizes. AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Grease is not recommended for automatic or centralized lubrication systems on heavy equipment unless the system is designed to successfully pump a tackier grease.​

I don't have any issues with the Amsoil Off-road grease I use in cold weather but I do keep my gun in the house. If cold temps are a issue it also comes in NLGI#1 which would pump easier.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I am always suspicious of ***8220;Teflon***8221; additives in lubricants. (Also called PTFE)

In greases it may or may not be appropriate but in OILs is is virtually ALWAYS a bad idea! I***8217;m reminded of the PTFE advertised in certain engine oils and snake-oil engine additives. If it remains suspended in the oil after a few minutes it means your oil filter is not doing it***8217;s job and it means the PTFE particles are contaminating your lubricating oil and interfering with the oils***8217; purpose.

PTFE/Teflon is a low-temperature, low-pressure anti-friction material. It does not belong in oil or greases, IMO.
Your opinion and Lubrication Engineers opinions differ and in as much as they are considered by many in the heavy truck industry as the premier supplier of lubricants, I'll go with them...thank you.

Besides, I'm sure you alreagy know what has been said about opinions......

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Your opinion and Lubrication Engineers opinions differ and in as much as they are considered by many in the heavy truck industry as the premier supplier of lubricants, I'll go with them...thank you.

Besides, I'm sure you alreagy know what has been said about opinions......
My statement was not made out of thin-air as an opinion. It was arrived at after careful reading of information published by lubrication authorities who have no money at risk in snake-oil additives. Bob is the Oil Guy is a good place to find reliable info links. But it doesnt take a scientist to recognize that the Inventors of Teflon, DuPont advise AGAINST its use in lubricants. And simple logic prevails against teflon particles suspended in oil that is filtered to remove such solid particles or where it would obstruct oil from reaching bearing surfaces.
Its your equipment, do as you like.

Last edited: