So confused ;) L4701 vs. MX5800 vs. M5660

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
Shopping for my first tractor. Have decided on Orange. Am horribly confused by the product line - and would hugely appreciate help/thoughts/advice.

Property is a 40 acre fairly hilly parcel. Work will mostly be non-ag - tree stumps, ponds, light grading, trenching and drains, brush hog, carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc. Will be building a home and outbuildings and at least one pond for sure.

I have been trying hard to understand the differences between the L, MX, M5660 and M7060 other than HP (which even I can figure out!).

Biggest differences seem to be:

• Loader capacity and backhoe dig depth (obvious and easy to measure)
  • Transmission. L and MX come with MST, M's all come with hydro-shuttle
  • Size and weight

What am I missing that I should care about?

From where I sit right now, the MX5800 seems like the choice - and I see lots of guys making the same decision (which makes me feel good lol). Any reason to step up to the M5660 or M7060 for this kind of application?

Is the smaller L4701 likely to do the job for me? It is only $3.5k less than the MX5800 for 10 fewer Engine HP and 11 fewer PTO HP, so I am having a hard time understanding why I would want an L.

Thanks much, really appreciate the advice!

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Shopping for my first tractor. Have decided on Orange. Am horribly confused by the product line - and would hugely appreciate help/thoughts/advice.

Property is a 40 acre fairly hilly parcel. Work will mostly be non-ag - tree stumps, ponds, light grading, trenching and drains, brush hog, carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc. Will be building a home and outbuildings and at least one pond for sure.

I have been trying hard to understand the differences between the L, MX, M5660 and M7060 other than HP (which even I can figure out!).

• Size and weight

From where I sit right now, the MX5800 seems like the choice - and I see lots of guys making the same decision (which makes me feel good lol). Any reason to step up to the M5660 or M7060 for this kind of application?

Is the smaller L4701 likely to do the job for me? It is only $3.5k less than the MX5800 for 10 fewer Engine HP and 11 fewer PTO HP, so I am having a hard time understanding why I would want an L.

The MX is an “economy” tractor. Fewer bells and whistles. Watch these videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-f9_zkW4U
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QbWem2lgf04

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT

• Size and weight

For the tasks you list, Horsepower consideration is only directly related to the brush hogging. Everything else is size and weight, with bigger and heavier also having more HP.

"Work will mostly be non-ag - tree stumps-
ponds, trenching and drains"- these are backhoe chores and best done with a real backhoe, or big rented equipment (excavator, skidder, bulldozer) or hired out. Tractors with backhoes are fine for the occasional hole digging or a stump here and there but not really designed to dig a whole pond out

"brush hog"- need PTO HP and size the brush hog accordingly

"light grading, carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc. "- heavier with bigger loader capacity is always better

The L 4701 is an odd model and dealers here sell few of them. I didn't see any reason to look at it vs an MX other than it is not as heavy and is the largest model you can easily trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup.

MX will be much more stable on side hill slopes

M series is a big heavy tractor and you can get them with a cab. Will need a big truck and trailer to take one anywhere

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
The L 4701 is an odd model and dealers here sell few of them. I didn't see any reason to look at it vs an MX other than it is not as heavy and is the largest model you can easily trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup.
Won't need to trailer it - the machine will live on the property. And I don't see any reason for the L either. So maybe I just rule that one out unless someone wants to make a case for it.

M series is a big heavy tractor ...
So maybe I should just boil this down to MX5800 vs. M7060.

The M is 1,300 lbs heavier, a foot longer, has 200 lbs more FEL capacity, quite a bit more hydraulic capacity (with the 12 speed) and costs $12k (30%) more.

My instinct is that for a first time buyer like me - the M is too much machine. The MX will do much of what I need, and as you suggest, I can always hire someone with a D4 or rent myself a bigger tractor when I need it.

Does that make sense?

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
The MX is an “economy” tractor. Fewer bells and whistles. Watch these videos.
Appreciate the pointer. I have watched both of those, and a dozen more, and am still very confused :confused:

For example, in the M vs MX video, they talk about "utility tasks" vs. "compact tractor tasks" - but I don't know what that means. I see my tasks as more construction oriented and less mowing type stuff - which I think means more "utility" like. But do I really want or need a machine that weighs 5,000 lbs bare?

The MX is one foot shorter than the M - which to me doesn't seem like that big a difference in a 10 foot long tractor. The FEL capacity is 10% less, again, not a huge difference like that between the L series and the MX series FEL.

I do think that the "easier to drive" HST transmission will be better for me - and I can't get that in the M...

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think either the MX or the M would be an excellent tractor for your tasks. The MX will be plenty of tractor, in stepping up to the M it's really a question of money and desire - you don't seem to need an M for any of the tasks you describe.

The M does have a nicer transmission, but there's nothing wrong with the MX transmission. There are probably a bunch of detail features that are different and one of them may matter for some particular task you want to do.

As others have said, generally better to not get the backhoe and instead hire out the tasks that need one - a bigger machine (with an operator perhaps) will do those jobs way faster. The exception is if you have small backhoe tasks quite often, and you don't want to drive to town to rent one, and drive back to take it back again. In that situation, having a backhoe sitting there that you just hook up and use is a real game changer.

If you're planning on doing a lot of the ground works for your house yourself that may be the situation you're in - lots of evenings or weekends where you do a few bits of the work, although again a lot of people would suggest buying a second hand mini-ex or small excavator for that time period and selling again at the end - then you can drive the excavator whilst the wife drives the tractor, and a dedicated excavator will do the job much better. You'll sell it again for most of what you bought it for, so it's money well spent. And of course, unless you're set on doing that work yourself, probably you'll find paying a professional to do it would be way faster and give a better end result - you can spend 2 years fiddling around with ground works and that's 2 years you're not building a house.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
The MX5800 amd the M5660 are the same price and if you go with the M5660 you get a little stronger loader, stronger transmission, little bigger and heavier tractor, a rear set of hydraulic remotes, a button on the dash to maintain pto speed while running a generator, a swinging drawbar. Both sell for about 34000 to 34500 with the front loader.

Good luck with your choice. :)

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Go and drive some and talk to a knowledgeable sales person. I would stay away from shuttle shift with a hilly property. They are known to freewheel when shifting on a hill. Scary... I would personally be considering a Grand L model with a cab. Might take a little more time but you’ll be in comfort... High HP implements are also more expensive, so you make sure you factor in the cost of implements matched to all that HP you think you want. Maybe you’ve already done your homework. Just my .02.

And I will never talk anyone out of a backhoe. I actually started a picture thread so we can all discuss how great they are. I’d personally rather roll out of bed and onto the seat then screw around with poorly maintained equipment that I’m not familiar with, and the time and hassle of renting (and more likely to break something from rushing while the clock ticks). Not to mention it will take many many many hours on backhoe/excavator controls before you are working efficiently. Learning on a rental is expensive. Every time I use my backhoe, even if it takes 2x long as renting a miniex, I can’t help but compare the cost of owning vs renting, and smile as I think “well, that machine just paid for itself.”

Thread I referenced: What made you happy you got the backhoe today?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=41997&share_type=t

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Go and drive some and talk to a knowledgeable sales person. I would stay away from shuttle shift with a hilly property. They are known to freewheel when shifting on a hill. Scary... I would personally be considering a Grand L model with a cab. Might take a little more time but you***8217;ll be in comfort... High HP implements are also more expensive, so you make sure you factor in the cost of implements matched to all that HP you think you want. Maybe you***8217;ve already done your homework. Just my .02.

And I will never talk anyone out of a backhoe. I actually started a picture thread so we can all discuss how great they are. I***8217;d personally rather roll out of bed and onto the seat then screw around with poorly maintained equipment that I***8217;m not familiar with, and the time and hassle of renting (and more likely to break something from rushing while the clock ticks). Not to mention it will take many many many hours on backhoe/excavator controls before you are working efficiently. Learning on a rental is expensive. Every time I use my backhoe, even if it takes 2x long as renting a miniex, I can***8217;t help but compare the cost of owning vs renting, and smile as I think ***8220;well, that machine just paid for itself.***8221;

Thread I referenced: What made you happy you got the backhoe today?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=41997&share_type=t

I like the Grand L 60 series. My little tractor has done well. I like the cab, but I don't like the heat nor the bugs, which the cab takes care of both. The HST+ transmission has been really easy to use and has worked great doing the various loader work that we have been trying to accomplish. If the picture feature worked, I would post some, but it keeps rejecting all my pictures.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I do not have a back hoe for my MX5800 but I like the HP it offers, the size is just right and it turns on a dime. I wish I would have added remotes and loaded rear tires in the deal. Keep those in mind. Without loaded tires you will be in 4 wheel drive all the time. As far as a back hoe I would spend the 10k on a mini ex. Tractors are not bull dozers.

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
I went with the MX5800 for the lighter weight. My tractor spends a lot of time in the yard and pasture (read untilled dirt) and I didn't want the soil compaction of a heavier tractor. I haven't even had it a week yet, but so far I love it. Filled tires, but I need to figure out more ballast for loader work. I did some mowing in ditches the first weekend I had it, and I think I felt much more stable on the inclines than I would've in a bigger tractor.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We have a M7060 (father on 100 acre farm). It is a big machine, and marketed as an entry Ag utility tractor. I would never put a BH on one of these machines. They are already pretty far off the ground and you would loose digging depth. They are designed for field work, but if you have a bunch of room to maneuver you might find a good use...I would just say no to a BH on them.

I think the right mix is the MX with a BH, but I do agree with Cathy...BHs on tractors are not designed for lots of stump digging. If I had say 30 stumps to pull I would rent a 20ton excavator and do it in a couple of hours. Now if I had one every few months...that is different. You can take your time and really dig out the dirt around the roots so you dont damage your backhoe.

MX is a great machine. If you dont need a cab it is a great size.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
You hit the nail on the head brother - Good advice.

We have a M7060 (father on 100 acre farm). It is a big machine, and marketed as an entry Ag utility tractor. I would never put a BH on one of these machines. They are already pretty far off the ground and you would loose digging depth. They are designed for field work, but if you have a bunch of room to maneuver you might find a good use...I would just say no to a BH on them.

I think the right mix is the MX with a BH, but I do agree with Cathy...BHs on tractors are not designed for lots of stump digging. If I had say 30 stumps to pull I would rent a 20ton excavator and do it in a couple of hours. Now if I had one every few months...that is different. You can take your time and really dig out the dirt around the roots so you dont damage your backhoe.

MX is a great machine. If you dont need a cab it is a great size.

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City
I went with the MX5800 for the lighter weight. My tractor spends a lot of time in the yard and pasture (read untilled dirt) and I didn't want the soil compaction of a heavier tractor. I haven't even had it a week yet, but so far I love it. Filled tires, but I need to figure out more ballast for loader work. I did some mowing in ditches the first weekend I had it, and I think I felt much more stable on the inclines than I would've in a bigger tractor.
Oh yeah, and HST. I do a lot of mowing in tight spaces and loader work, so I really wanted HST.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The only case I’ve seen for the L4701 is it’s size. Big engine in a small machine.

If that’s not a big deal for you, id have to agree that heavier is better for your uses and the MX is the better buy.

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
Ok, so slowly making progress in my thinking, but it is one step forward and two steps back :confused:

I am pretty much settled on an MX5800.

But then a local guy shows up with a lightly used M62 that he wants to get rid of. And I am thinking to myself that for many of my road maintenance and constructions type tasks, not to mention pulling stumps, that would be a great machine.

Any thoughts on the pluses and minuses of the bigger TLB?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I have a MX5800 with the BH92 backhoe attachment I also have a M59 TLB which is the pre emissions version as the M62 TLB there is no comparison between the MX5800 and the M59 for backhoe and loader work the TLB is a much stronger machine and heavier built.

I can tell you this any tractor with a backhoe attachment on it will not preform anywhere near as good as a equally sized TLB machine which was factory built to be a backhoe/loader from the ground up.

That said I love the versatility of my MX5800 it's one of the best brush cutting mowers I've ever operated. I've mowed a lot of acres over the years with different machines the only other machine I really liked was an old IH 544 Hydro - Yeah I miss that old girl ;)

Ok, so slowly making progress in my thinking, but it is one step forward and two steps back :confused:

But then a local guy shows up with a lightly used M62 that he wants to get rid of. And I am thinking to myself that for many of my road maintenance and constructions type tasks, not to mention pulling stumps, that would be a great machine.

FarmFreshKS

Equipment
MX5800, ZD221
Aug 13, 2019
Kansas City

I think HST is going to be your big question to answer. I occasionally see a size-up from the MX5800 and think maybe I should've gone for that, but then I remember the HST. When I bought my MX5800 I was going from a smaller shuttle shift machine. Let's look at your task list:

tree stumps - Only minor benefit from HST, bigger benefit from higher HP and better BH capabilities
ponds - Not sure what you're doing to the ponds, but mowing around them will benefit greatly from HST as you can more easily maneuver and hang your deck out over undriveable areas.
light grading - Depends, bigger tractor probably won't help, HST might help if you want to do some "back and forth" movements instead of always moving forward. I use a box blade and certainly have *some* back and forth movements.
trenching and drains - Sounds like backhoe work that would likely be very possible with either machine.
brush hog - You don't need the extra HP. Gear drive is great for wide open expanses, but even then it isn't as easy to slow down to make turns at the end or backup and catch missed passes. If you have any trees or especially highly-treed areas, the HST is a life saver and makes this job much more enjoyable, faster, and easier.
carrying and spreading gravel/rock, etc - loader work is much easier with HST, but of course the bigger tractor can handle bigger loads
Will be building a home and outbuildings and at least one pond for sure. - The HST, I think, makes it easier to swap front and rear implements, which sounds like something you'll be doing a fair amount of. Also, if you're getting pallet forks, you'll be able to get under loads and place loads more easily with HST.

There is certainly a trade off here you have to decide. Besides the extra weight and HP, the M probably has some standard features the MX doesn't (bucket level indicator?, rear remotes?, 3pt draft control?) There is also slightly more maintenance on the HST machine than a gear drive machine. After having a shuttle shift machine, I knew I wanted to get an HST machine as my next machine. My hope was that having an HST machine would help me get over my window shopping skid steers... and it mostly has.

Garrik

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Aug 7, 2019
San Jose, CA
I think HST is going to be your big question to answer.
This aligns perfectly with my own thinking.

The smaller HST MX machine will be easier to drive (remember, I am a newbie), easier to maneuver, easier to deal with on hills (and I have plenty of those, once I am experienced enough to try them).

The larger M machine will be heavier, more stable, and more capable both in terms of the FEL and the BH. And also quite a bit more expensive...

And funny enough, the MX actually has more PTO HP than the M62 - although both are in the 60HP range which is probably enough for all of my PTO needs.

Anyone else want to weigh in, perhaps with real life experiences using the M59 or M62 for 3 point work after removing the hoe?