Kubota L2501 - initial review

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Thanks to this thread, I was able to send my dealer some pics and explain what and why shield should still be there (and isn't). He was VERY apologetic, absolutely agrees, and says they had a new guy doing that and he made a mistake. They want to come out (50 miles) and install it and I told them to just send it to me. Great forum. Now I feel like my 2501 is missing its loin cloth.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
The reason could be the bolts. It looks like the factory bolts that go through the guard might not be long enough to go through the brush guard AND bumper. The dealer might have to supply 4 new longer bolts and possibly they are too cheap or lazy.

Blondie70 further back up the thread said he bought and installed his guard. No mention of bolts being too short. Perhaps he can enlighten us on whether or not longer bolts were needed.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
The plate looks to be about 1/8" steel so I would doubt that new attachment hardware would be needed.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The plate looks to be about 1/8" steel so I would doubt that new attachment hardware would be needed.
So I got my new bumper guard from the dealer today. It was $44. They had two L2501 machines out front, and neither of them had the bumper. As such, they were not receptive to the idea of paying for the cost of mine. They acted like they had not seen such a piece before. Oh well.

By the way, I put it on the micrometer and the bumper is 1/4" plate...quite rugged, actually.

Also picked up engine oil and filter, plus hydraulic and HST filters. Take care of the 50 hour service.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
So I got my new bumper guard from the dealer today. It was $44. They had two L2501 machines out front, and neither of them had the bumper. As such, they were not receptive to the idea of paying for the cost of mine. They acted like they had not seen such a piece before.....
On Kubota's website (if I'm looking correctly) the base tractors appear to have the guard. https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/compact/l01

Just for the heck of it I may swing by the local dealer and check their L01's to see if they have them or not.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
So I got my new bumper guard from the dealer today. It was $44. They had two L2501 machines out front, and neither of them had the bumper. As such, they were not receptive to the idea of paying for the cost of mine. They acted like they had not seen such a piece before. Oh well.
Did the two L2501s they had have FEL on them?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I asked the guy I worked with if his 2501 had it and he confirmed it did. His was bought from a different dealer then mine was. Seems to be a thing with the dealers installing the loader and brush guard throwing the bumper out.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

By the way, I put it on the micrometer and the bumper is 1/4" plate...quite rugged, actually.

Also picked up engine oil and filter, plus hydraulic and HST filters. Take care of the 50 hour service.
That sounds like a load of BS they gave you. The part obviously exists and is missing from your tractor, and yet it is your problem? I was almost able to swing by the dealer today and ask about the plate on mine. I was running late for something more urgent and never made it. I intend to tomorrow. I am curious as to what I am told.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
My plate arrived today from my apologetic dealer who admitted that a "new guy" had installed the brush guard and left the plate off. Of course Troverman is correct insofar that this is a 1/4" plate (not 1/8" as I had speculated) - all the more reason to wonder why someone would leave it off. My dealer also shipped me (4) fine thread metric bolts and lock washers. The bolts are 45mm in length. I haven't installed it yet to know if these are correct but kinda curious why they elected to also send bolts along.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
My plate arrived today from my apologetic dealer who admitted that a "new guy" had installed the brush guard and left the plate off. Of course Troverman is correct insofar that this is a 1/4" plate (not 1/8" as I had speculated) - all the more reason to wonder why someone would leave it off. My dealer also shipped me (4) fine thread metric bolts and lock washers. The bolts are 45mm in length. I haven't installed it yet to know if these are correct but kinda curious why they elected to also send bolts along.
Our plate is/was still there after FEL install. Same dealer as yours probably but different location, Ventura. They did however put just water in rear tires as ballast and filled 100% not 75% as manual tells them.

Go figure.

GD

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I found time to make it to the dealer this evening. I talked to the salesman who sold me the tractor and told him the situation. I mentioned the forum and a member's (Troverman's) issue with damage due to the plate being absent. He agreed it should be there and asked if I had also damaged mine. I told him I had not, but the forum made me aware it was supposed to be there and it was not.

There were no excuses made. The mechanic went to look to see if they had one in the shop. He could not find one. He told me that he would have one for me next week. It was the situation I hoped would happen.

I think it is wrong you other guys are being made to pay for something that should be included with the tractor.

I also took note of all the 01 tractors in the lot when I arrived. All had loaders on them. I specifically looked for a 2501 model and saw at least 2. Both had the plate. I did not see any 01 models without the plate.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Our plate is/was still there after FEL install. Same dealer as yours probably but different location, Ventura. They did however put just water in rear tires as ballast and filled 100% not 75% as manual tells them.

Go figure.

GD
I don't think you can fill a tire 100%. Once the fluid gets to the valve stem, and the valve stem is at the 12:00 position, how are you going to get more in?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
I don't think you can fill a tire 100%. Once the fluid gets to the valve stem, and the valve stem is at the 12:00 position, how are you going to get more in?

Lay it on its side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
No idea how they did it, but considering we drained several gallons out to get to theoretical 75% at 12 o'clock valve stem I made the assumption they were full. And both sides were approximately the same.

After draining , inflating and rechecking the fill is right at valve stem, 12 o'clock.

GD

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I just watch a Paul & Kathy Short video, they had an L2501 delivered and it doesn't have the guard on it.

I hope we get to see some new mods from the Short's for the L01 series tractors.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
So last week I installed the new bumper piece that should have already been there all along. I think this will offer great added protection. I also replaced the brush bar that had been smashed by the log

I also did the 50 hour service...at 51.0 hours. Engine oil and filter change went as smooth as could be. Also replaced the HST and suction filters. Probably lost a half-gallon of hydraulic fluid out the suction filter side. HST lost nothing. I'll add more later today. I inspected the air filter and fuel filter...both look fine. I'm running Kubota-branded engine oil, in 10w30 weight. Kubota says either 10w30 or 15w40 is acceptable. The dealer was upset I wanted 10-30, but up here in NH it is getting colder and it only gets a lot colder. I've run 15-40 during the fall / winter before, and the result is usually the low oil pressure light staying on for a few seconds at startup. I don't like that.

Attachments