Let it snow!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
hmm... you got any concerns over that HILL that seems real close to the house(3rd picture) ?
You caught that! :D
It's about 8 foot tall.

That's a back filled bench that the Trailer, that we call home right now, is sitting on.
As soon as we can get moved out of the trailer it will be destroyed and the bench will be pushed off with a dozer and turned back into the normal mountain slope that it was originally. ;)

Up that hill is the power pole and meter that feeds the trailer and will feed the new house and when I put the main power pipe in for the new house I dug it 16 foot plus underground ( Thanks to awesome friends that have a big excavator), the electrical inspector was a little shocked and said "well nobody's going to hit it that deep!"

Then I explained that we would be restoring the original slope and didn't want to have to worry about hitting or having to rerun the line, he thought that was pretty smart of us.

All of my water lines, sewer lines, and power lines are 6 foot or more deep under finish grade, thankfully we have all sand, so easy digging.

My reasons for so deep:

#1: I don't want to hit any of them, like ever, as I'm finishing building out the place.

#2: We have a lot of trees and most of the big ones have roots down to 4 + feet so I don't want issues with roots and lines. We had Bearskinner over with his BX to dig in the trees so we didn't have to knock any of them down, he did a perfect job and getting the sewer line in and under some big trees and roots!

#3: They aint ever going to freeze!, we have had frost down 3 feet in a bad winter.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
NIW it looks fabulous! Enjoy making it the way you want from scratch! As I try to make "improvements" to my house which was a granary first, then the hired man's house, and then was completely remodeled 50 some odd years ago, I often think it would be easier to tear it down and start over.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW it looks fabulous! Enjoy making it the way you want from scratch! As I try to make "improvements" to my house which was a granary first, then the hired man's house, and then was completely remodeled 50 some odd years ago, I often think it would be easier to tear it down and start over.
When we bought our property they gave us the trailer (not attached to a foundation) for free (they didn't want to pay to move it).
So it worked out well for us as we were able to whip it into some shape to use it for a while...only originally planned on using it for a couple years, this is now year 10. :rolleyes:

Water well, Power, and Septic tank and leach field were all brand new and done to code and inspected, so that was a good start to solid back bones.

We originally played with the idea of building a foundation under the trailer and turning it into a permanent house but there was just way too many issues with it.
The county wanted us to hire a engineer to certify that the trailer was "tied down permanently" and that was stupid expensive $5K Plus.
The trailer is also a 1970's trailer and was very cheaply built, so not much of a base to work with.

So best option was to build something new as we wanted super efficient (R30+ walls, R60+ ceiling) and solid construction.

This house is designed so as we get older ( I'll be there way before the wife ) it won't become a burden to us.
It's a single floor design, everything is level, no steps or stairs, all 36" or greater doors, with the exception to the 1/2 bath that is a 30" door.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Sounds like you have a very solid long range plan. ;)

I very rarely see snow and never that deep. Does it only come in Vanilla?? :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sounds like you have a very solid long range plan. ;)

I very rarely see snow and never that deep. Does it only come in Vanilla?? :D
Also comes in lemon and chocolate :eek:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We got off pretty easy, got about 4" overnight, then it turned to rain making a really sloppy mess. Was able to get the drives cleaned up before it cooled off and started freezing this evening.
Same here but we got 6 and it's mostly slush now. Didn't even bother wasting diesel fuel. Let Mother Nature remove it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This is a proper snowstorm in Newfoundland today
Looks like you and bearbait are practically neighbors if I remember where he is correctly. He said something about battening down the hatches a couple days ago. I hope it wasn't like that at your front door!

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Looks like you and bearbait are practically neighbors if I remember where he is correctly. He said something about battening down the hatches a couple days ago. I hope it wasn't like that at your front door!
The storm was in Newfoundland, the next province over and we missed the worst of it. I just took those pictures from people posting them. It was an unusually big storm in a place that gets a lot of big ones!
Where snowstorms cause the most chaos and are the most dangerous are when they hit cities that aren't set up to deal with them. We might curse and swear but things return to normal quickly.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thank goodness we didn't get what our neighbours got sheepfarmer but we're in for a pretty good hit today assuming they're right. This one could go down as the winter of 2020 if it keeps up. All the best to our friends on the rock, Wildfire is gonna be a busy man by the looks of it.:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
WOW well all I can say is thank you keeping that stuff up there,,, and yeah I saw on wildfires youtube channel they got dinged pretty good,
Stay warm my friend,, the stove is burning no snow but the wind is pretty chilly :D

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
WOW well all I can say is thank you keeping that stuff up there,,, and yeah I saw on wildfires youtube channel they got dinged pretty good,
Stay warm my friend,, the stove is burning no snow but the wind is pretty chilly :D
Thanks my brother, just got back from a workout out in the torture chamber and boy is it coming down. Worst is they're saying it may change to rain which means a long hard clean up just before the change over. Boy I wish I hadda been born rich.:rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know the feeling,, keep your stick on the ice, we are all in this together

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Kinda what I was wondering? Why??

I have never plowed/pushed/removed snow, but surely you would wait until there was more than that??