4x4 lever Grand L 60 series is hard to engage / disengage

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
This L4060 is my 5th Kubota. The 4x4 lever is by far the worst. For one thing, the operation is backward to all my other Kubotas (on this one, pulling the lever up puts it in 4x2 while pushing down is 4x4). The lever travel is long, and the engagement and disengagement is not positive. In fact, getting it to disengage is a challenge and it often feels like I am really forcing it, complete with a 'pop' when it does disengage.

No, I am not trying to engage and disengage while the wheels are spinning or under load. All the other tractors could smoothly pop in and out especially while moving in a straight line with the wheels not spinning. This one needs to have the steering wheel cranked all the way left or right to disengage.

What gives? Does it get better over time?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
This L4060 is my 5th Kubota. The 4x4 lever is by far the worst. For one thing, the operation is backward to all my other Kubotas (on this one, pulling the lever up puts it in 4x2 while pushing down is 4x4). The lever travel is long, and the engagement and disengagement is not positive. In fact, getting it to disengage is a challenge and it often feels like I am really forcing it, complete with a 'pop' when it does disengage.

No, I am not trying to engage and disengage while the wheels are spinning or under load. All the other tractors could smoothly pop in and out especially while moving in a straight line with the wheels not spinning. This one needs to have the steering wheel cranked all the way left or right to disengage.

Make sure your tractor has the right tire combination installed. I had one a few years ago that had 12 inch front wheels installed where they should have been 10 inch,of course causing extreme binding because the lead ratio was way off. It isn't hard to get the wheels mixed up at the dealership when they are assembling them.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No don't force the lever, I forget the trick, but I think leave the wheels straight ahead and then inch it forward or backward a smidge. I'll check and try to get back this afternoon. One of the tractors recommends stepping on the brakes, but I forget if it is the B or? Sorry brain turned to mush.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Mine works fine.

Of course, I do not attempt to engage/disengage when the front wheels are not directed straight ahead or when the tractor is under load.

I, too, suspect incompatible tires and/or severe underinflation.

SDT

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Tires are correct. Seems like to disengage I have to be stopped with the wheels cranked. That seems ridiculous.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Both my M's are hared to get in and out of FWA My cab unit always had been and my new / used M is the same way Do a little wiggling and they both pop in and but but sitting still, no way.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Okay what I take from directions is

Tractor must be stopped to either engage or disengage lever.
If lever is difficult to disengage turn the steering wheel a little, while trying to move the lever. It is sort of like feeling for a gear.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
On my L4240 it is like yours. Up is 4x2 and down is 4x4. If I have any resistance I simply move the HST peddle a tad in reverse if I was going forward, and visa versa if I was in Reverse. Usually just a few inches relieves any pressure and engagement is easy. I've never tried to turn the wheels.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My L4060 4wd lever does seem a little sloppy, but I have never had to turn the steering wheel to engage or disengage.
I do generally shift with the tractor moving slowly, which is contrary to what the manual says. I stop, get my hand on the shift lever, then creep forward while shifting into or out of 4wd.
Some people here have also recommended taking weight off the front axle with the loader for difficult shifting machines, but I have never needed to try this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jk96

Equipment
L6060
Oct 17, 2019
St. Joseph
I'm still waiting on my manual for my L6060 from the dealer so was not aware as others mentioned that it should not be engaged while moving. I've been engaging or disengaging on the move making sure all tires are moving at the same speed. It moves in and out effortlessly so I'm not seeing any harm done. Obviously you would not want to do this if the rears are already slipping and not moving in sync with the fronts.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I'm still waiting on my manual for my L6060 from the dealer so was not aware as others mentioned that it should not be engaged while moving. I've been engaging or disengaging on the move making sure all tires are moving at the same speed. It moves in and out effortlessly so I'm not seeing any harm done. Obviously you would not want to do this if the rears are already slipping and not moving in sync with the fronts.

I got a pdf operators manual off the internet, but also the hard copy upon delivery.
I mark up the PDF with notes, check off maintenance, filter location, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
May be irrelevant to your tractor, but on mine sometimes driving straight it will go in or out easy, sometimes turning the wheel (seems like turning left is easier but don’t see why that matters), and some times acellerating with foot throttle hard then pushing in clutch and shifting on decel makes it smooth. I know totally different machine and mine is gear drive, just my experience.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Had occasion to run the L3560 yesterday and it had been in 4wd for weeks. To get it out after going forward and finding the lever difficult to move, I backed up a smidge and it shifted right away easy.

jk96

Equipment
L6060
Oct 17, 2019
St. Joseph
Had occasion to run the L3560 yesterday and it had been in 4wd for weeks. To get it out after going forward and finding the lever difficult to move, I backed up a smidge and it shifted right away easy.
I had so many problems with my Case 55C front end I'm almost paranoid about using FWD on this tractor. Only been using on hills or when needed and then right back to 2WD.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The life of this tractor is largely carrying bucket loads of manure out to a compost pile which is down in a low spot, need I say more? :D