B series Three Point Hitch compatibility

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi, first off, this is a great site and a credit to all who've made it happen, the quality of content is amazing. So, onto my question. I've just bought a B6000 without a 3PH and wanting to get one. I've found a wrecker who has them for a B7100 and B6100. Are either compatible? Are there extra brackets or such I might need to ask specifically for?

thanks, Ben

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi,
thanks for the response, much appreciated. I have another related question. Could the rear be missing any other parts around the PTO judging from the picture below? Sorry for the image size and quality. Also, I guess there's no way to test out the hydraulics without adding a 3 point hitch? I haven't managed to get out to the tractor yet, but will have the weekend for a good look around it.

thanks so much,
Dookanooka

Last edited:

HeyDoc

Equipment
B 7510
Oct 18, 2009
Conn.
Hey Guys, GREAT FORUM! Really informative and enjoyable. Along the same lines of this topic, I have an old 5100 that which needs 3PH hard ware. It is classified as Cat. 1 and I am finding 2 different lengths: 28" lower arms with 20-25" lift arms and top link OR 23" lower arms with 15-19" lifts and top link. From what I can tell, the shorter hardware seems to be correct for my tractor but anyone know for sure? Thanks, Doc

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi SD Vic,
thanks for taking a look for me. I got the tractor for a great price and she runs beautifully, but this might be her Achilles Heal? It would be great to know exactly what i'm up for installing.

As you can see, what you thought was some kind of cap is the previous owner being overzealous with a paintbrush, I think it's undercoat.

cheers,
Dookanooka

Attachments

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Hey dookanooka, it also looks like the stub shaft isn't correct for the snaplock type drivelines (driveshaft). others may can correct me but check out rotation direction and such before investing in those kinds of implements.

good luck, tim

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi Kytim, Dusty-t, SD Vic
thanks for the info. I did see there was no horizontal depressions up the pto shaft, but it's still 18 splines. I'll confirm the direction, but i'm not expecting it to be different from the normal B6000.

Dusty-t, your picture shows quite well what I can't find in the B6000 parts manual, ie. (for want of a better word :confused:) the assemblage around the PTO Shaft for which the tractor just has holes or protruding threads for bolts or nuts.

I think i'm getting the picture on the 3pt hitch end of things. Would the Rockshaft be the bit that the bottom hitch arms move on? I guess this isn't included in the normal 3pt hitch assembly then.

Another thing, having studied the parts manual, is that the lever control (66571-36442) has been sawn off, which makes me wonder what they were thinking there. I'd think one of my first jobs would be to replace that and see if the hydraulics are working ok? Would that be the best way to start and the best way to test the hydraulics?

thanks for your assistance all,
Dookanooka

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
Hi dookanooka

There is nothing missing from your pto shaft. Its standard 18 spline b6000. The four bolts you see are too hook up a rotary hoe for the unit - S850. The hoe uses the 18 spline pto shaft and the four bolt holes for attachment rather than a standard 3 ph.

You will need to buy an adaptor to use a standard slasher though that converts your 18 spline pto shaft to the standard 6 spline 1 3/8 dia. shaft see http://www.bareco.com.au/files/pto2002/pto8.htm these are around $70 AUD.

Your pto will run CCW but I don't think this is much of a problem for slashers - see my earlier posts.

Hope this helps.

Cheers John

P.S. for the 3 ph lever thats been cut off you should be able to grab onto it with pliers and rotate it and see if it lifts the hitch up and down.

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
thanks TopGear, bang on the money.

I took the pliers to what's left of the hydraulic control lever... moving backwards did nothing. Moving it forwards created a crunching gear kind of a noise somewhere in the engine, like metal engaging on metal but not a scream. I couldn't say for sure where. However, I backed it straight back to vertical upon hearing that.
Any thoughts what might be going on?

cheers,
Dookanooka

TopGear

Mar 21, 2009
Australia
Hi Doonkanooka

Not sure what the problem would be. If the noise is coming from the motor its probably the hydraulic pump. However I wonder why you don't get this noise all the time? As the pump should be running whenever the motor runs. Have you traced the return and delivery hydraulic lines from the pump back to the rear end and are they all OK? You should be able to see them in the parts manual. At the motor end I think the pump is about the only thing that would cause this noise? Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

My guess is that the control lever was cut off for some reason or due to some problem. You just need to diagonise what that problem is:eek:

Maybe others will have some suggestions.

Cheers John

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi TopGear,
it was my thought too that the noise was from the pump. I've done some research since, and it would appear the hydraulic pump on a B6000 is a gear pump. Hearing those noises and thinking it's like disengaged gears coming together...mmmm...is a possible cause coming together here.

What I also thought is that the noise didn't sound 'wet', moist maybe ;). So, potentially there's no oil making it to the pump, or perhaps whatever is supposed to mesh together is worn. As you say though TopGear, why the scrunching only at one extreme of the lever?

I traced the 2 pipes and they both look correct. I didn't try to tighten things up, I shall do that tonight. I also haven't looked at the filter.

Also, the previous owner of the tractor said he'd just done a transmission fluid change. From further reading I came across 'cavitation', which seems to be air in the fluid, but given someones sawn off the lever earlier, I wouldn't say that's likely to be the core problem.

I also came across this,

The B6000 has a hydraulic pump like all the Kubota compacts.i.e. a tang engages with a slot in the fuel pump drive shaft.
but don't really understand this interaction and whether this could have something to do with the noise/problem?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated from folks out there. Being a rank amateur at all this the more knowledge i'm armed with the better, especially as i'm cautious over emptying the transmission of oil without having a full plan over seeing what could be wrong.

thanks,
Ben

Last edited:

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
B6000 hydraulic problems

hi,
well, I finally got an opportunity to check out the B6000's hydraulic problems. For starters, I emptied out the transmission oil which I think is about a litre under what it should be....not a great start. It looked a bit dirty, and a little silty right at the bottom. No strange smell, no milkyness in the main fluid.

I then checked out the hydraulic filter and that was really very clean, just the odd, maybe 1mm square gummy white bits, which I cleaned off with Kerosene. Just inside the transmission bottom there's a few very fine metal shavings and a few grains of dirt.

Then I unscrewed and took off the control valve. Moving the valve with the pliers, it certainly was moving ok. It seems to partially cover the exit to the rockshaft and such on either side when moved backward and forward, one half covered, then the other. I guess this is correct behaviour! I decided against proceeding in taking apart the valve assembly further. One thing I couldn't look at or get to was the relief valve, which I believe is inside top.
One thing I noticed here was there didn't seem to be much oil really, and there was a little milkyness, only slight, in what came out of the valve.

Then, I removed the 9 top screws that appear to hold on the rear case top. However, it wouldn't budge for love or money! I then tried to remove the front section where you can feed off the hydraulics. On my Japanese B6000 there's just a bolt there. Here, the oil was quite dirty and there was a noticeable burnt kind of smell. Also, a fair small fingernails worth of white gummy material. I unscrewed the 4 bolts holding this on, but again, while there was some play, I couldn't get this to budge either.

I added a few pictures below. What's on the tip of the screwdriver is what looked a lot more milky in the other photo shining into the auxilliary hydraulic outlet. There are 2 showing what bolts I removed on the top to try to get the top off. The last just shows where I took off the control valve.

I don't have any easy way to check hydraulic pressure or flow, so I haven't done that.

So, onto my questions...

* is there enough evidence hear to start drawing a conclusion over the problem, what are your thoughts?

* could gummyness be due to this oil not having been changed for a long time (I have no idea when it was last done)? I guess milkyness is water? What could the burnt sort of smell be caused by up where the auxilliary hydraulics would exit?

* How do you remove the top rear case, and the front hydraulic feed? I'd like to see if the piston seals are ok. There are 2 screws on the horizontal below the top case on the back of the tractor that are connected by a piece of wire. The diagrams I have suggest these hold on a plate inside, so is not a good idea to take these out then? Is there anything else I need to undo to take this top off, or is just a matter of brute force? If I took it off, would I be up for a new case seal?

Sorry there's so many questions. I took on this myself as I want to learn, but then I don't want to do anything wrong either, lol! And I have noone but you guys to ask.

thanks for any help,
Dookanooka

Attachments

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey dookanooka. I believe the rock shaft is the top shaft with the splines. Everything you have discovered at the back of the tractor seems to indicate that the hydraulics have not been used for a long time. I imagine the tph lever was cut off so that it didn't get used and make that awfull grinding sound. I would have a look at the hydraulic pump. That is where I would start. There may be nothing wrong with the rest of the hydraulic system. Just my opinion, and I have been wrong before. Good luck and keep us posted. :D:D Dusty

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
Thanks Dusty-t, that makes sense! I might just take off that pump and check it out.
cheers,
Dookanooka

Last edited:

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi Vic/Dusty-t, so, it sounds like that piston cover should come off without much trouble...interesting! It did feel odd, it twists left and right, top and bottom about 2mm, but take pressure off and it returns back into position. I was reluctant to really give it some stick, but wasn't exactly gentle.To me it felt like something rubbery with a memory was holding it in. Maybe it was the O ring twisting and it's the piston that's seized then.

I'm still a bit confused over why the rockshaft had an inch odd of rotating play when I first got the tractor, and now having moved the lever forward and got the grinding noise, there's no movement whatsoever?

I'm thinking i'll get a new pump, swap it over and get some oil circulating round and hope that gets everything moving again. If that doesn't work, I have a feeling things might get complicated, and perhaps I should cross that bridge if I come to it!

thanks guys, i'll keep you posted,

cheers,
Dookanooka

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi,
I just ran the tractor for a few minutes with the existing pump and a proper level of transmission oil. It seems the problem is now showing itself elsewhere, no noise from the pump now, so that was I guess to do with the low oil level before. I'm still not 100% sure the pumps working, but the effect on the engine I mention below suggests something, whatever that might be, hahaha.

Now when the control valve lever is pulled towards the back of the tractor there is a little vibration felt from around the control valve area, a kind of screech 2/3rds backwards and finally it seems to change the tractors revs, the engine acts like i'm reducing the diesel to it. Push it forward and nothing happen at all. The rockshaft doesn't turn at all. So what do you think might be going on here?

thanks,
Dookanooka

dookanooka

Equipment
B6000
Oct 25, 2009
Australia
hi Vic,
How would I get that piston case cover off. Would a couple of pry bars or something of that sort be the only way? How would you go about it? While the control lever/valve appears to be vibrating and acting strangely, it does seem highly likely that piston is stuck.

much appreciate any assistance,
cheers,
Dookanooka