Shop/Shed 30x60

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
5/28, 29, 30 - day 3, 4, 5. Plumbed, squared, straightened, and braced the near end. Got the last frame up on one long side. Doesn't look like much progress, but we're getting there.
IMG_20230530_181342698.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
5/28, 29, 30 - day 3, 4, 5. Plumbed, squared, straightened, and braced the near end. Got the last frame up on one long side. Doesn't look like much progress, but we're getting there.
View attachment 103847
The shop looks really good. Keep your standards high. In the end, it will show in the finished building. Dad always said, “Do it right, or you will do it again.”
1 request, how about a pic from a corner down the long side? (I have building envy pretty bad)

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Productive weekend! Nail gun or old school?
You've reminded me to do a mini review. I didn't want to lug a generator and air compressor around, and since I have a fair collection of Ryobi One+ tools, I bought the recently released 30° framing nailer. Having driven most of a box of nails, I can say it's reliable and it withstood 2 drops from 10' (not on concrete, fortunately) without flinching. I'm surprised at how many nails it'll drive on one charge. But, boy, it's heavy. It weighs a smidge over 9 pounds, plus another pound? for the battery.

In comparison, a Paslode battery/gas nailer weighs 7# and a Paslode pneumatic weighs about 6#. When it comes time to nail up siding, I may consider a different tool.

Does anybody hand nail any more? Not around here. My BIL is in the business and they never sell more than a pound of loose nails anymore.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Very Nice man!

How thick is that concrete?
I specified 5" in the slab, but I think it's a little more. I wanted an 8" wide footing, 12" minimum depth below grade. But Humberto's used to local code, so he made the footing 16" wide and same depth. I calculated 37 yards, his worker said they used 5 - 8 yd loads, but Humberto told me they used 6 - 8 yd loads, which I don't doubt for that huge footing.

There's 3 - #4 rebar in the footing and wire mesh in the slab. I didn't see any effort to raise the mesh, so it's probably not adding much. He preferred mesh over fiber, but I'm not sure why. Maybe the fiber doesn't finish as well?

It's supposed to be 3500 psi mix. I tried to keep it damp for 4 days. There's one small shrinkage crack about 1/3 from one end, all the way across. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
The shop looks really good. Keep your standards high. In the end, it will show in the finished building. Dad always said, “Do it right, or you will do it again.”
1 request, how about a pic from a corner down the long side? (I have building envy pretty bad)
Izzat what you meant? It's not straight/plumb yet. BTW, I'm using 2x6 top top plate to stiffen the wall since there aren't any lateral walls to help out.

I have to take a few days off to catch up back home and recuperate.

IMG_20230531_104033759.jpg

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Izzat what you meant? It's not straight/plumb yet. BTW, I'm using 2x6 top top plate to stiffen the wall since there aren't any lateral walls to help out.

I have to take a few days off to catch up back home and recuperate.

View attachment 103879
Wasn’t checking your work, just getting a sense of the size. You’re about 6 months ahead of me, living my dream. I do not have my footprint determined yet. I like the depth of your shop.
I want to put a small living quarters on the back of my shop. Not really to live in, but maybe spend a night or 2, clean up, fix some food, nap, ………

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You've reminded me to do a mini review. I didn't want to lug a generator and air compressor around, and since I have a fair collection of Ryobi One+ tools, I bought the recently released 30° framing nailer. Having driven most of a box of nails, I can say it's reliable and it withstood 2 drops from 10' (not on concrete, fortunately) without flinching. I'm surprised at how many nails it'll drive on one charge. But, boy, it's heavy. It weighs a smidge over 9 pounds, plus another pound? for the battery.

In comparison, a Paslode battery/gas nailer weighs 7# and a Paslode pneumatic weighs about 6#. When it comes time to nail up siding, I may consider a different tool.

Does anybody hand nail any more? Not around here. My BIL is in the business and they never sell more than a pound of loose nails anymore.
I have about 25 of air nail guns and I wanted to be able to take them on little jobs, But hauling the big compressor was such a pain.
I ended up getting a battery operated compressor.
One battery will run a framing nail gun about half a day of moderate use.
It will run a trim nail gun all day.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Wasn’t checking your work, just getting a sense of the size. You’re about 6 months ahead of me, living my dream. I do not have my footprint determined yet. I like the depth of your shop.
I want to put a small living quarters on the back of my shop. Not really to live in, but maybe spend a night or 2, clean up, fix some food, nap, ………
I went back-and-forth, round-and-round deciding. My dad and BIL had a 30x50 pole barn built years ago, 6x6 posts, site-built wood trusses on 5' centers. It originally had a dirt floor, but later they had a slab poured. It has a 10' door in the middle of one long side. So Dad's Ford 3930 with 6' brush cutter backed in with the tailwheel in one corner, and my BIL's Ford 1520 with a rear mower fit in with room to spare. Recently Katy, my L35, relegated the 3930 to my sister's 'unused' horse barn hall. I don't think she appreciated Katy's drips.

I'm building in north Mississippi, so no real frost or snow consideration, and no local code for a non-occupied building. My thoughts:
* I knew I wanted a finished floor, so why not pour it first and have a flat work surface? Also avoids wood in ground contact.
* 30' width has held everything we need so far, and I could duplicate the trusses we have if I had to, although they're crude with overlapping joints, etc. 30' - 32' long wood trusses are pretty economical. 32' would have saved a little material waste.
* 60' length 'cause that fit. I started out thinking maybe 80', but when I got the site cleared, it turned out that 60' fit better. I don't have a definite use planned for that area, so it should be plenty. Using a 4' module makes for more efficient material usage.
* Stud frame/wood siding. Here the logic is a little fuzzier and I may have long term regrets. I won't have wood in ground contact, and 3/8" LP SmartSide siding can be applied directly to 16" stud spacing. If I need to add a door, it'll be pretty easy with wood. I think I could have used 4x4 studs on 4' centers with girts to use metal siding.
* Insulation. I don't plan to install insulation right now, but I should be able to install batts in the walls and foil-back sheets under the roof if I decide to insulate.

Good luck with your venture. I thought about living quarters. But, for me, it would have been a place to live until I built a house. So I would have wanted a bigger space, plus any walls, finishing, etc. would have been throw-away cost. And finally, the whole shebang would have to meet local code.

I think I'll come in at around $40k. We'll see.

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have about 25 of air nail guns and I wanted to be able to take them on little jobs, But hauling the big compressor was such a pain.
I ended up getting a battery operated compressor.
One battery will run a framing nail gun about half a day of moderate use.
It will run a trim nail gun all day.
Hmmm. I didn't really think about that. That's what I should have done. The only Ryobi compressor is 18v, rated at 0.5 cfm. What compressor do you have?

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama

Thank you for posting that! I've been looking at that Ryobi framing gun. I've got most of the old blue tools that still work plus a lot of green ones. The finish nailers are awesome. Now that you have informed me, I'll be getting the framer. I just looked at it today and walked out without it. Next time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thank you for posting that! I've been looking at that Ryobi framing gun. I've got most of the old blue tools that still work plus a lot of green ones. The finish nailers are awesome. Now that you have informed me, I'll be getting the framer. I just looked at it today and walked out without it. Next time.
Did I mention it's heavy? 🐘
I'd make you a deal on it.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
6/2 - day 6. One more frame fabbed and raised + 2 braces. Had to take midday off for heat. Decided to move man door from center of far end nearer the right corner.
IMG_20230603_185026196.jpg