Gaining traction

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Putting the spacers is an easy job, but having a healthy stout young man helping makes, it lots easyer. They say to check your torque after a couple hours,,,,, with loaded tires,, yeah thats not happening just sayin
Beware of not checking your bolt tightness. I did 2" spacers on a Grand L and somehow several came loose. One stripped the iron flange threads...had to heli-coil it. Use blue thread locker as well.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Well we finally got a plowable snow here in central Maine. My first foray with the B2601 and Bx5455hd snowblower combo struggled and slipped to get up some small inclines on the driveway.
So between tire loading, a ballast box, or tire chains which would give me the best chance at gaining traction? I thought chains but im really not excited about the prospect of installing wheel spacers outside in winter....
So it sounds like you have a heavy snowblower hanging on the front and no extra weight in the back. Is that right? Adding chains in back will help with traction but weight in the back should also be part of the plan because these little tractors are generally front-heavy even before mounting something to the front.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Tire chains are always the best option for snow/ice but other options will help somewhat in snow.

Your snow blower, if front mounted, is, no doubt, unloading your rear tires so rear ballast, especially behind the rear wheels, e.g., ballast box, will help.

Folks who install wheel spacers rarely, if ever, install/remove such seasonally. Put them on and leave them on. Unless the wheel spacing of your rear tires is adjustable, you will likely need wheel spacers to mount tire chains.

If your driveway is paved, choose the proper type of tire chains to minimize the likelyhood of pavement damage. Go to tirechains.com and read up.
That's not exactly so, as the snowblower rides in float mode, (it doesn't hang in the air off the front unloading your rear wheels) so all your tractor is doing is pushing it (or, raised, pulling it backwards)

You are correct that ballast can help, but I usually snowblow with NO BALLAST unless we get rock hard drifts, like recently , in which it can help somewhat.

That is to say, you're right, but not "exactly" why you think.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
B2601 here as well. I elected to go a little more conservative with my blower size at the 48" commercial blower as I am blowing uphill 50% of the time on my 650' gravel driveway in NH. When I was buying my tractor a couple years back I did a bunch of research and landed on the turf tires......I anticipated needing chains so I have spacers as well. That being said, I do not have chains, I rarely if ever break traction BUT I have loaded rear tires and I typically have my back blade behind me.

I clearly have enough traction with the turfs alone as I will blow uphill while also pulling the back blade uphill in Low 4WD........easy peasy.....

Hopefully the pic below gives a little perspective that my hill is no joke......no issues in 3 winters with this setup....

EDIT: Had another few inches of wet snow that came in overnight and pulled the blade in the aggressive direction while blowing uphill it never even thought of slipping......filled tires....weight on the back.....turfs....seem the prefect prescription for traction here.....love this setup.

IMG_4193.jpeg
IMG_4194.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I have a 4ft, front mount blower on a 24hp Massey with turfs. No counter weight and air in all tires. BUT, I am on flat ground. The tractor always does great.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
48" commercial (front) blower on turfs here too. My dealer told me he doubted I would ever get stuck in the snow with turfs. I didn't believe him so bought chains as insurance, but from what I read constantly, turfs seem to be pretty good in the snow ! (certainly with chains they are!)

Reactions: 1 users

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Tire chains are always the best option for snow/ice but other options will help somewhat in snow.

Your snow blower, if front mounted, is, no doubt, unloading your rear tires so rear ballast, especially behind the rear wheels, e.g., ballast box, will help.

Folks who install wheel spacers rarely, if ever, install/remove such seasonally. Put them on and leave them on. Unless the wheel spacing of your rear tires is adjustable, you will likely need wheel spacers to mount tire chains.

If your driveway is paved, choose the proper type of tire chains to minimize the likelyhood of pavement damage. Go to tirechains.com and read up.
I just, for the first time this season, chained up my front tires on the 3301. There is now an ice layer below the snow, compacted, and wind packed. Front only for now, as I got stuck and chaining only the front up involved less hand digging! Also because with the FEL it was easy enough to lift the front tires off the ground so easier to chain up. I have rear chains also, and the required wheel spacers, which I never take off since I put them on, filled rear tires also. Chains are the only way to effectively deal with an ice layer, especially on slopes like I'm dealing with.

Reactions: 1 user

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Well we finally got a plowable snow here in central Maine. My first foray with the B2601 and Bx5455hd snowblower combo struggled and slipped to get up some small inclines on the driveway.
So between tire loading, a ballast box, or tire chains which would give me the best chance at gaining traction? I thought chains but im really not excited about the prospect of installing wheel spacers outside in winter....
I have a b2301 with trigg chains and loaded ag tires I did not need spacers. the studded euro chains seem to do a good job the back hoe is ballast.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
We got about 3" of snow for the first time this winter, and I am stuck inside pushing a walker. I was hoping to be able to try out my new BX2822 Commercial snow blower. I have a cab, a heater, loaded tires, and 600+ pounds in the ballast box on the rear. A friend that also has a BX23S told me this evening he will come down in the morning and clean up the driveway with my machine. I will let you know how it works out.

• Wow

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
I personally would avoid chaining up the fronts as others have replied due to stress on driveline. Ballast is always the answer and tire design also plays a part. Add weight and chain up the rears if needed.