Tractors cranks but won’t start

Aaron G

Equipment
Kubota Bx23S
Dec 5, 2022
Hawaii
Hi,
I have a kubota Bx23S I was running the back hole turned it off and when I jumped back on and try to start it, it would not start . It cranks but will not start . It was strange because it was working fine . I recently serviced it and was running great . Did some research and some say it’s the jets or possibles a relay . Any help would be great appreciate it

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi,
I have a kubota Bx23S I was running the back hole turned it off and when I jumped back on and try to start it, it would not start . It cranks but will not start . It was strange because it was working fine . I recently serviced it and was running great . Did some research and some say it’s the jets or possibles a relay . Any help would be great appreciate it
"jets"..... injectors?
I think not!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi,
You need to understand the safety systems to figure out what is not working.
This is from memory..... the engine stop solenoid is powered for a few seconds by a timer to shut down the engine............. i.e. you need power to stop the engine. Some tractors work the opposite way.
Unplug the connector for the stop solenoid and try and start the engine.
Report back what happens.
forum BX23 trouble nno start.jpg

When the main switch is turned to the GLOW position, the terminal BAT is connected to the terminal
ON and AC. The glow plugs become red-hot, and the preheat indicator lamp also lights on while
preheating.
When the main switch is then turned to the START position with the safety switches on, the terminal
BAT is connected to the terminals GLOW and ST. Consequently, battery current flows to the starter
motor and start the engine.
The main switch automatically returns to the ON position, the terminal BAT is connected only to the
terminal GLOW, thereby causing the starting circuit to be opened, stopping the starter motor.
When the main switch turned from the ON position to the OFF position, the fuel
cut-off solenoid moves the fuel injection pump control rack to the no fuel injection position
and stops the engine.
The OPC timer equipped is the operator presence control (OPC) system which
automatically stops the engine in approximately one second when operator stands from the seat
while shifting the PTO clutch lever and range gear shift lever.
8. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
 MECHANISM
4. Starting system
8-

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If it turns over your safeties are all satisfied. Start by checking the fuel flow. You may have a blockage somewhere.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
You need to understand the safety systems to figure out what is not working.
This is from memory..... the engine stop solenoid is powered for a few seconds by a timer to shut down the engine............. i.e. you need power to stop the engine. Some tractors work the opposite way.
Unplug the connector for the stop solenoid and try and start the engine.
Report back what happens.
View attachment 91705
When the main switch is turned to the GLOW position, the terminal BAT is connected to the terminal
ON and AC. The glow plugs become red-hot, and the preheat indicator lamp also lights on while
preheating.
When the main switch is then turned to the START position with the safety switches on, the terminal
BAT is connected to the terminals GLOW and ST. Consequently, battery current flows to the starter
motor and start the engine.
The main switch automatically returns to the ON position, the terminal BAT is connected only to the
terminal GLOW, thereby causing the starting circuit to be opened, stopping the starter motor.
When the main switch turned from the ON position to the OFF position, the fuel
cut-off solenoid moves the fuel injection pump control rack to the no fuel injection position
and stops the engine.
The OPC timer equipped is the operator presence control (OPC) system which
automatically stops the engine in approximately one second when operator stands from the seat
while shifting the PTO clutch lever and range gear shift lever.
8. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
 MECHANISM
4. Starting system
8-

Dave
I had the same problem with L4330, crank all day long, no pops. It started out being intermittent, then failed hard.

Traced it to the OPC Timer. $105 plus shipping from Messick's; no aftermarket available. Screw that. I bypassed it; never a problem since.

kbates

Equipment
B6200 with loader - B7500 - LX3310 with loader
Jan 2, 2012
Regina, Sk
Hi,

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I can start my BX23S standing next to it, so I doubt a safety switch,,
Can you HEAR the tic-tic-tic of the fuel pump ?
If not either bad pump or blown fuse or maybe wire came off pump ?