Does anyone have a hip replacement?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I am having mine done in January. What advice do you have? Presently it is bone on bone and has been for a very long time. What I used to be able to do in an hour now takes me all day. I can barely walk to the car.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Yes... after surgery motion / movement is your friend. Walk, stretch, follow the exercise regime given to you when discharged.

If you give into the pain and think not moving will make it all better you are wrong. Movement is critical.

Take your med's. You will not get addicted if you truly have pain. I was on morphine for many many years. After my final replacement I was finally w/o serious pain and I stopped the morphine overnight.

Reactions: 2 users

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Not hip, but double knee replacement. My #1 advice is to do your pre and post op exercises. And be diligent about PT. Take your pain meds when you need them. And walk. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I had both done. They are now over 20 years old and still good to go! You will be walking and going home the same day! Also had the right shoulder replaced and next year both knees. NO I do not feel like the bionic man! LOL! Should have gotten a good education and worked with my brain instead of my body. I love to work and stay busy I just do it in a slower more methodical way!

Bakerman

Equipment
L3301D
Aug 11, 2021
Tallahassee
I agree with the others about motion and movement being so important. For me I had my right side replaced and thought I had a new problem post-surgery when everything on my left side felt sore but then I realized that I had been over-compensating for the pain & discomfort and now I was walking like I was supposed to. I'm past the one year mark and it's rock solid so give it time and keep moving.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
as others have said DO THE EXERCISES !!!!!
one friend didn't and he's damn near wheelchair bound, again...
brother did everything and he's 40 years younger !!!

if you're a tad overweight', shed some pounds,slowly, if you can. even 5-10 less pounds makes it easier on your body. the friend actually eats MORE now, which is stupid but I've given up telling him that's wrong.

Reactions: 1 users

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
As all of the others said, do your exercises. Also, prep your house now for the upcoming surgery. Grab bars in the shower and toilet will make a huge difference. Make sure that you get some sort of extension for your toilet. The first couple of weeks it will be difficult to sit at a lower position. Maybe make sure your sofa or recliner is raised up on some sort of base as well. It will make it easier the first few weeks. Also, start taking some stool softeners starting about a week before surgery. The pain meds did a number on me.

Not sure what type of replacement you will have, I had an anterior procedure done. I have a 4-5" scar on the front of my hip. It is one of the easiest types to recover from. Although I still have some numbness in my thigh from the nerves being cut, and it's been over a year since I had mine done.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My wife had the anterior procedure done 12/7---four years ago. She was miserable for a couple of years before the surgery and then a couple of weeks afterwards but she tells folks all the time she'd do it over again in a heart beat. She was/is always active, walking a couple of miles three days a week and outside all the nice days. Being 5'-1" and 110# make it easier for her and the surgeon.

The surgery took 45 minutes. I was waiting in the waiting room when the nurse came out to tell me it went OK and she can have company after a bit of time for recovery. It was so quick I thought there may have been problems.

The first night at home was the worst for her. She was in a pain that made her feel like she made a wrong decision about the surgery.

Before the surgery the Dr. gave her some pain meds, but she didn't want to take them. She argued. Said she didn't want to take them and was told to not drink liquids prior to surgery, so she said how can I take the meds and not drink? Doc said this small amount of water is just to get the pills down. She still argued. He finally said, "You want to take these pain pills. You'll need them for all the pain I'm going to put you through!" She finally took them.

I think she went to therapy 3 times a week for about 6 weeks, but she did exercises daily. She was focused on getting things right and getting back to a normal life without restricted movement and pain.

She had an excellent Doctor and she was an excellent patient, being active and not overweight. Her Dr. was/is orthopedic Dr. for the Chiefs and had to wait for him to have time to fit her in. She has a 4 year follow up next month.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
The physical therapy is the real answer. Don't even try to shorten it or skip. That is the most important part of getting over the operation. You can be better than ever if you follow up the P. T.
Dave

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Luckily, I don't have joint issues. The people I know that do have had good luck doing the exercises and have healed. It will take some time to heal. I don't think there is a magic rule to follow. There is a fine line between doing too much and just enough.

I hope it goes well for you.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I had my right hip done last January. I had it done on a Friday and returned to work on the Monday 2 weeks later. Desk jockey most of the time. The surgeon said no running or jumping, no trouble with that. I was able to get back in the truck in April to do some deliveries, again do not jump down. As the rest have said do the exercises and have the rails and handles in the bathroom. I still use the bars for the shower. My brother just had his second one done last month and is getting around again. His first one gave some issues and had to be replaced again with a different model. This was primarily due to his falling down the steps and tearing things loose. Hopefully you do not have to negotiate too many steps. I have 3 to get into the house and stayed out of the basement for a period of time. Here is a video from the hospital I used. Might help you some. I was treated royally and would recommend this place to anyone. Follow the rules and do the exercises and you will do fine. The surgeon said the new joint is good for 50 years. Most likely out last me.

Preparing for Joint Replacement Surgery - YouTube

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well Mom had hers hip done at 90 and was up and about next day, I had a knee replacement that took the better part of 3 days. Little Brother had a shoulder replacement that was about 2 weeks,
Do what Doc tells you, do the exercises even if they sound silly or dumb, and most of all PUSH and keep pushing in PT, when you slack up that when things go wrong. You will do well, oh and I dont know about you, but they gave me some heavy duty meds, when I came home. I stopped taking them, they made me a very bad person, so watch them.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks for all the advice. I found the Amazon link quite interesting. Seems that all the pictures are the same, and the only thing that changes are the prices. I am going to order some of the suction cup-style grips for the shower. The one thing that I can say about my condition, is that I am in good shape physically. January 9th is my surgery date. Thanks again.
PS. How long do you estimate that it will be before I can get onto the tractor to snowblower? It is a BX23S with a cab and heater. I figure that I will need a plastic stool to make the transition from the ground to the floor of the tractor.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
in my case... which I assume is normal as I had no problems with surgery but no PT afterwards as here we have to do this ourselves, if front mount and no twisting or sitting on a hip I could have done it after the first week. I have rear mount snow blower and bear on my hips as I turn so probably 3 weeks. I was running my wood processor within 2 weeks.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
PS. How long do you estimate that it will be before I can get onto the tractor to snowblower? It is a BX23S with a cab and heater. I figure that I will need a plastic stool to make the transition from the ground to the floor of the tractor.
[/QUOTE]

I was in my BX2680 in less than 2 Weeks. I have the cab and heat also. Got to watch how you operate it though. I have a curb I go up and down and backed off a little fast and felt it. Other than that no issues. I did install (had my son) a step below the door before winter started. Makes a difference. I do not use a mower deck so it can hang down without issues. Sorry no pictures. It is a stirrup step for a Wilson trailer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As the scar heals get some vit E capsules, bite open the capsule and squeeze the oil onto the scar. I believe it makes it heal quicker and the scar is less protruding and less friction on clothing. Any moisturizing cream helps.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
As the scar heals get some vit E capsules, bit open the capsule and squeeze the oil onto the scar. I believe it makes it heal quicker and the scar is less protruding and less friction on clothing. Any moisturizing cream helps.
Thanks for the suggestions. I also have a very large Aloe plant that I can take a leaf or two.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ask your doctor if he/she has any experience with using Exparel as a pain medication. A friend of mine who is a surgeon pioneered its use in our city and claims its a "game changer". Good luck.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
GF's dad has to have both knees done

he's 77.

This surgery at 77 years old isn't gonna be an easy one; especially considering that he's mostly a sit-around-the-house type person. Rarely gets any exercise now, so how's he gonna do the exercise afterwards? He won't.

In his case because of his age and his refusal to exercise, he's probably better off not doing it and just living out his days sitting on the recliner watching football and basketball.