Trailering accident - Any idea what happened here?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
was watching a 'mayday:air disaster' show last night, reminded me of this post.
short version...
A private 747, hauling 'super hummers' ,my name, not theirs (24,000 'jeeps'), took off from 2nd air force runway, seconds later all 7 died. seems some 'engineer' decided that 24 - 1,000# rated 1" wide straps WOULD safely secure a 24,000 # vehicle to a 747. There were 4 or 5 of them. NOT a weight problem..a strap,then another after V1, back vehicle slammed into rear cargo wall, took out hydraulics, both 'recorders' and the elevator screwjack. The 7 that died NEVER had a chance. sad.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well, because I've seen this a time or two with motorcycles...... here is my take:
It happened while loading. Otherwise the binder wouldn't be sitting next to the trailer. I would guess the tongue of the trailer came off the ball while the tractor was near the balance point and when it came off and slammed to the ground the operator couldn't stop the tractor. Or, still had the fun pedal mashed forward.
As someone previously said, a jack stand at the rear of the trailer is worth the extra effort.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Well, because I've seen this a time or two with motorcycles...... here is my take:
It happened while loading. Otherwise the binder wouldn't be sitting next to the trailer. I would guess the tongue of the trailer came off the ball...
Ya maybe. It looks like an F150 and a 7K trailer. Definitely NOT up to the task. We need a picture of the hitch. Class 4 or Class 5?

The way modern truck frames rust out these days, it wouldn't surprise me if the truck frame failed at the hitch attachment points.

-Paul

PS, I once had a near-failure of a trailer hitch. Was hauling a W350 (1-ton) Dodge Cummins on a 7K trailer from CT to PA. Was on some TERRIBLE roads, the kind where every expansion joint is a dip. Lots of up-and-down. When we arrived at the destination, we found BOTH 5" channel irons near the hitch cracked from the bottom. The top flanges of the channel was about all that was holding things together.
Close call!
Funny thing is, we unhooked the trailer in the dark, and did not notice the damage until the next time we hooked the trailer up!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Seen this dozens of times

people pick their stuff up from the shop or take it to beer camp or whatever. Drive it on, throw a chain across the loader frame or the front bumper bracket to keep it from falling off "I ain't going far" and that's the extent of the tie down process. Get going down the road, mash the brakes when some soccer mom pulls out in front of 'em while on the phone and putting on the lip gloss, and with nothing holding the back of the tractor from going FORWARD, the tractor rolls forward, up over the trailer and into the back of the truck. I saw a boat do this once. I'm going down the highway and rounding a curve. There's an intersection just round the curve and everyone knows it's there. Right toward the tail end of the curve I see a flat bottom boat with a motor come flying through the air right toward me, smashes to teh ground and skids off the roadway. Guy coming the opposite direction, someone pulled out in front of him, he hit em, and no tie downs on the boat aside from the winch strap on the front. It went right over the front of the trailer, hit the back of the cab of the truck, and being that boats are kinda pointy on the front, rode right up over the cab.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Guess he will be late to the job site...My Kubota and Ford need to go shop today?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Ya maybe. It looks like an F150 and a 7K trailer. Definitely NOT up to the task. We need a picture of the hitch. Class 4 or Class 5?

The way modern truck frames rust out these days, it wouldn't surprise me if the truck frame failed at the hitch attachment points.

-Paul

PS, I once had a near-failure of a trailer hitch. Was hauling a W350 (1-ton) Dodge Cummins on a 7K trailer from CT to PA. Was on some TERRIBLE roads, the kind where every expansion joint is a dip. Lots of up-and-down. When we arrived at the destination, we found BOTH 5" channel irons near the hitch cracked from the bottom. The top flanges of the channel was about all that was holding things together.
Close call!
Funny thing is, we unhooked the trailer in the dark, and did not notice the damage until the next time we hooked the trailer up!
Mirrors, side badge and 8 lug hub caps indicate 250 or 350. Mirror design indicates 2017+. Mine came with a class 5 from the factory and has 40k miles pulling 12k. No rust, no cracks. I do inspect and paint if meeded. Not to say it couldn't be rusted out but unlikely.

Reactions: 1 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Glad some have addressed the truck's size. Maybe it was adequate or maybe it's the picture, but that tlb LOOKS far too big/heavy for that truck. And as has been noted, the trailer appears minimal, at least in length.

I'm so scared of towing, at my age and having not done it for years, I'd have to spend a small fortune to feel safe though.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Glad some have addressed the truck's size. Maybe it was adequate or maybe it's the picture, but that tlb LOOKS far too big/heavy for that truck. And as has been noted, the trailer appears minimal, at least in length.

I'm so scared of towing, at my age and having not done it for years, I'd have to spend a small fortune to feel safe though.
It's a Super Duty.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
It will buff out. Never notice it

• Haha

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
It's a Super Duty.
So presumably more than adequate. But does it matter that the tlb/trailer combo appears to greatly outweigh the truck? Maybe it doesn't. But the backhoe adds a lot, and I'm thinking the tractor's rear wheels are loaded too. Then again, I guess tractor-trailers are commonly run with trailer loads far heavier than the tractor. Color me amazed by basic everyday stuff, like the miracle of brakes . . .

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, never really noticed but looks like a 4way (clam shell) bucket AND a forklift attachment up front.
also, trailer looks 'beefy', could be a tri axle unit ??
would be nice to see more pictures....

BTW anyone know what Tractor that is ? Curious about the weight. 4 way buckets ain't common here in Canada,eh !

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
So presumably more than adequate. But does it matter that the tlb/trailer combo appears to greatly outweigh the truck? Maybe it doesn't. But the backhoe adds a lot, and I'm thinking the tractor's rear wheels are loaded too. Then again, I guess tractor-trailers are commonly run with trailer loads far heavier than the tractor. Color me amazed by basic everyday stuff, like the miracle of brakes . . .
Common for pickups to have tow ratings above their own weight also. My last truck (Nissan Frontier) and current truck (Toyota Tundra) both have tow ratings well above their weight and they’re not exactly first option for serious towing.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Thats a Superduty and prob rated for 12k or more towing. so more than enough truck. My guess is one of those fancy aluminum drop hitches broke while loading, dropped the tongue so fast brakes wouldnt work on the tractor. The trailer tongue looks like it must be on the ground, the truck isnt squatting much

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Doesn't matter at all. Mine is rated to tow twice it's own weight. Add a gooseneck or 5er and it almost triples. I regularly pull twice my curb weight.
Heavy duty trucks are a bit different from the consumer light duty 350/3500's.

Solstice Farms

Equipment
L2501
May 25, 2020
Sandia Park, NM
I'll take a stab at it. I'm in the "while loading" camp. Bucket is up as is the backhoe. Guessing that - as others have suggested - that the truck got light in the back end when the tractor was heading up the ramps. If it started rolling down hill, a way to overcome this is keep moving on the trailer to put weight back on the back wheels of the truck - engaging the emergency brake. If the operator panicked and stomped on the peddle (looks like an HST, so hard to confuse the brake with the HST treadle), and forgot to back off, the loader - in this position - could have "skied" up the tailgate - bridging the gap with the front wheels. Looks like it didn't stop until the rear wheels came off the trailer and the backhoe bucket hit the deck. I'm guessing there was an underwear change involved at some point. My two cents. Chock your front wheels and block the back of the trailer.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I'll take a stab at it. I'm in the "while loading" camp. Bucket is up as is the backhoe. Guessing that - as others have suggested - that the truck got light in the back end when the tractor was heading up the ramps. If it started rolling down hill, a way to overcome this is keep moving on the trailer to put weight back on the back wheels of the truck - engaging the emergency brake. If the operator panicked and stomped on the peddle (looks like an HST, so hard to confuse the brake with the HST treadle), and forgot to back off, the loader - in this position - could have "skied" up the tailgate - bridging the gap with the front wheels. Looks like it didn't stop until the rear wheels came off the trailer and the backhoe bucket hit the deck. I'm guessing there was an underwear change involved at some point. My two cents. Chock your front wheels and block the back of the trailer.
I think you’re spot on with your assessment.

Was recently at my brother’s farm delivering a tractor with my equipment trailer with slide in ramps (read no automatic brace to hold up back of trailer). I was going through the process and he was asking me what all I was doing as I set two jackstands under the back of the trailer, blocked the trailer wheels, set the parking brake on the truck, put the transmission in park, and transfer case in 4WD. Told him I’ve never had the back of the truck lift but I’ve had to be part of the cleanup several times where others have so I ain’t going on that wild ride.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Most trailer fold up ramps have support legs built under them to prevent the trailer tail from dropping while being loaded.

allis15

Equipment
BX-23S, Rr mount sickle, Rr blade
Nov 17, 2022
Ontario, CAN
Not sure but tractor looks no worse for the wear. Cant say the same about the truck or trailer.

Not sure if it was mentioned - but also could have been a health issue suddenly occurred with the TLB driver.
Tractor was in 2 wheel drive and kept going until the rear wheels were in space - and no traction.

G

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
That's my opinion as well. If this happened in transit, the binders wouldn't be on the ground under the trailer.

I'm thinking either the throttle got stuck while loading onto the trailer and the tractor just kept pushing forward, or he was taking it off of the trailer and the rear of the truck lifted up so he shot forward in a panic to level things out again and he went a little too far forward.

Yep. There's too much damage for this to have been just because the tractor rolled forward under gravity. The throttle had to have been applied vigorously.

Maybe one of those idiots who thinks the right foot is for the go pedal and the left foot is for the brake pedal. But I don't know the pedal arrangement for that tractor, so that may not apply.