B2782B snowblower - loosening driveline

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The 2500 rpm input shaft on this snow blower has loosened at several places on me in its 5 winters of (I'm guessing) relatively hard work here in SE Manitoba. It's had the following issues i've caught before it damaged anything, and just finished a couple hours of working it over again to keep it tight.

1. A couple years ago the female pto #160 came completely loose from the reduction box shaft after it turned out that the pin bolt #190 had simply come loose and disappeared. The hex set screw #170 for the #70 1/4" key had loosened too, enough that the key was also gone. The shaft was at one point rotating at 2500 rpm with nothing on the blower moving (!!!) when it happened. Having that little chain hooked under the pto shaft holding it from flying off is all that kept the pto shaft in line and not flying off dangerously. Whew. Fixed, and added a new key and 2nd lock nut to the new bolt. Ok so far.

2. The blower has been running pretty noisy this winter so checked over the chain tension (good) and that pto shaft bolt and key set screw (good), so went further and felt some play between that high rpm input shaft #40 and the small chain sprocket #60. Both the sprocket's set screws, one to the shaft, and especially the key set screw, needed tightening. Play has all been removed now! The set screws on the 2 bearings #20 were all tight.

So folks with these type of reduction box front blowers, along with the scheduled chain tension maintenance, should include:

1. Check that #190 bolt and locknut, and

2. The hex set screws #060 and #170 for those shaft keys.

I almost messed up my blower reduction box and pto shaft when they loosened. Keep an eye.

BTW ran a full rpm and power snowbank removal test after tightening it up, SO much quieter!

Screenshot from 2022-11-30 18-24-44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I think after 5 years you should treat it to all new bearings in the spring, and check everything. The chain drive snowblowers take a beating, but they are very durable. I am switching to the gear reduction box snowblower for this year's snowfall, but I think that I am going to keep my chain drive in reserve in case something fails during the winter, and I am not up to fix it right away. Having a hip replacement in January, so I doubt that I will be up to doing much after that for a while.

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I had the exact thing happen to me with your situation # 1 last year. Guess I will be looking at situation # 2 very soon. Only difference on #1 is that my plastic PTO guard was damaged, and I didn’t want to pay the $180 for a new one.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I think after 5 years you should treat it to all new bearings in the spring, and check everything. The chain drive snowblowers take a beating, but they are very durable. I am switching to the gear reduction box snowblower for this year's snowfall, but I think that I am going to keep my chain drive in reserve in case something fails during the winter, and I am not up to fix it right away. Having a hip replacement in January, so I doubt that I will be up to doing much after that for a while.
The reduction box bearings all seem rock solid and quiet, as are the pto ujoints, so unless there's noticeable deterioration they'll not need renewing ie $.
I frequently squirt some chain oil onto the reduction box chain via the provided opening, way more than every 4 hours, likely closer to 1 or 2 hours at most. Usually at the end of a "job", and I rarely spend more than 2 hours at a time flinging snow around with it.

BUT, of course, I noticed a little play in the rear pillow block bearing for the mid-pto output shaft section in the sub-frame. Should get the 1" bearing on order! Frequent greasing and it'll be fine for a season, I hope. Ran perfect yesterday, no vivration.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A lot of those bearings can be purchased at a local bearing store for a fraction of what Kubota charges. Kubota doesn't even manufacture snowblowers. They are manufactured in Canada by Rad Tech. They also make snow plows and brooms for Kubota. There are many pictures on their website showing their products mounted to Kubota tractors. https://radtech.ca/en/products/

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Yup what was mentioned above. Any parts store can get you a brg , just make sure you get a high end brg. eg: NTN, BCA, NKG don't opt out for a cheap china made brgs.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
A lot of those bearings can be purchased at a local bearing store for a fraction of what Kubota charges. Kubota doesn't even manufacture snowblowers. They are manufactured in Canada by Rad Tech. They also make snow plows and brooms for Kubota. There are many pictures on their website showing their products mounted to Kubota tractors. https://radtech.ca/en/products/
Yes, I wasn't planning to even try asking for the Kubota-stealership price on a 1" pillow block bearing.
Thx for the suggestions on make, i'll ask for a decent quality bearing not any cheap units. Might buy a pair, they won't go bad sitting on my shelf, and prices will only climb.

Reactions: 1 users