To Plow or not To Plow

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have a long driveway in the forest. In a couple spots, one 30 yards long and the other about 100 yards long, it's moderatly sloped.
I get the best traction on the sloped areas in unplowed snow. Snow is about 7 to 8" deep now and my SuperDuty is tall and glides over it with it no problem. 35" mud terrain tires and leveling lift. I figure that I can drive thru snow up to about 15". Just less than 1/2 diameter of the tire/wheel.

Dirt and some gravel driveway. Not paved.

My question is, will I regret it if I don't plow the snow now?

It seems that when I plow the snow I'm just driving on ice. If I plow it and salt it, I get mud. Neither are good for traction.

My first time wintering it up here in the forest in North Wisconsin.

I know eventually I will have to plow it if it gets too deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would plow it, then sand if/when needed. Wood or coal stove ashes are a good substitute.

Salt is useless on a gravel drive IMO. You get ice with salt holes in it at lower application rates, and if you apply a lot, get mud.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
What county are you located? I live in Waupaca County with my land in Waushara County which is central Wi. I am real familiar with Forest county , the Crandon area in particular. There is a big difference in snow fall per winter between where I live and Forest county for example.

If it was me I think I would drive your driveways initially in the season to build up a base, and then plow leaving that base if possible. I have found my Jeep Cherokee gets the best traction on my two track trails at my land when I have that base and it is well below 32 degrees F.
The downside to leaving a base is spring break up. You end up with a lot of slush/ice with thawing/ freezing spring temps.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and enjoy the beautiful Wisconsin north woods!

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Living in the north country I'm sure you know if you don't plow it will pack. Virgin snow is only virgin the first time you cross it. After snow packs it tends to form an ice like coat over time. You need to make your own choices on this one.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Compressed snow becomes ice !.

Worst case: Ice on top of gravel and UNDER light snow cover. Slip , fall and ouch. 100% quadrecip tear and crawl on your elbows to the house. Find surgeon and do not wait. Months in a brace and over a year of therapy.
I now plow as low as I can go and then salt like crazy.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
What county are you located? I live in Waupaca County with my land in Waushara County which is central Wi. I am real familiar with Forest county , the Crandon area in particular. There is a big difference in snow fall per winter between where I live and Forest county for example.

If it was me I think I would drive your driveways initially in the season to build up a base, and then plow leaving that base if possible. I have found my Jeep Cherokee gets the best traction on my two track trails at my land when I have that base and it is well below 32 degrees F.
The downside to leaving a base is spring break up. You end up with a lot of slush/ice with thawing/ freezing spring temps.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and enjoy the beautiful Wisconsin north woods!
I live in Burnett County. 20 mike's or so Northwest from Rice Lake.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Move to a warmer climate and leave the snow and trails to the deer!
Got a place in CA. Selling it. I'll take the 4 seasons, snow, blizzards, rain in the summer.... in Wisconsin, over insane CA politics Anyday.

Thanks tho.

Reactions: 5 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Plow ! (snowblow is even better)

If I didn't snowblow, I'd be able to "get away" with what you're doing maybe twice (I drive a car as a DD, not a truck) . After that it would be fighting with ice, ruts, bumps, lost mufflers and many curse words would ensue.

I watch the young fella across the street go through this EVERY winter. He's real lax and doesn't snowblow on a regular basis whatsoever, so is constantly getting cars stuck, breaking equipment, hacking at his driveway, calling tow trucks--you name it etc. The first winter it was kind of curious or even funny. Now in his 4th or 5th year across the street from me, it's just sad. Slow learner I guess.

Keep on top of it and you'll rarely go wrong.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I like to remove as much snow as possible because snowmelt into the road bed softens it too much. I like to keep the gravel road as dry as possible.

windy city

Equipment
Jul 3, 2022
USA
Got a place in CA. Selling it. I'll take the 4 seasons, snow, blizzards, rain in the summer.... in Wisconsin, over insane CA politics Anyday.

Thanks tho.
Glad to hear your head is in the right place, politically.

You should stay on top of moving the white stuff, you never know what the weather is going to do.
It just becomes a PITA if you dont.

I'm a bit North of you in Iron county, we get a fair amount more of it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like others have said, Plow it before you compact it, or you'll severely regret it in the spring.
Spring breakup is amplified by heavy packed snow turning to sloppy slush!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

Thanks tho.
I suggested South, not West. South would be Alabama, North or South Carolina, or Georgia, you get my snow drift?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't think there is "one" answer. Sometimes, ours melts pretty easily after plowing. Sometimes, it just melts and turns to ice. I think a lot has to do with expected temperatures and what kind of tires you have. I have 3 peak tires on our SUVs and truck. They are a lot better in colder temperatures.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We plow it. However, here, once the snow is off (mostly) the sun will take care of the rest and it'll be gravel in short order. Been there with just driving on it. Once compacted, the ice on the driveway will be there long after the snow in the yard melts. Then it becomes a sloppy mess.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
It seems that when I plow the snow I'm just driving on ice. If I plow it and salt it, I get mud.

Salt and gravel driveways are a very bad mix. The salt causes the melted ice to penetrate down into the soil and make mush. Over the years, it builds up and makes for a mushy substrate.