Gear heads

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off thank you for the advice on the heater so far it is working stellar. Now a real dumb question I think I may know the answer but I have to ask anyways. Due to my neglect the pressure in my tires was low, and the display on the dash of my Silverado was showing the numbers. So I puled out the compressor and filed them up. Put air in the driver front, and it was still reading 30psi, like it was when I started, so I pumped in some more thinking my filler isnt working frozen up or something,, nope checked again and lo and behold the driver side rear was showing 50 psi, on the display. HUH???? I only had one tire I was filling and the display showed the wrong tire,, OK let air out to 35, in the front and the rear showed 35 psi. Went to the rear pumped to 35 and the display showed that the front tire had inflated. The same thing on the passenger side.
I know its not a big thing but any ideas why it is reading like that ?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It doesn’t update instantly, some of them you have to drive a little bit too before they will update on the dash. It shows the wrong tire likely do to it having tires rotated or replaced at some point and tire positions not relearned to the truck.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seems like if it's registering for a different position then the one your filling then the TPS monitors are mislabeled. Or perhaps the tires were rotated. 🤔🤔🤔

I would just check and set each tire per what the actual tire gauge reads and not go by what the monitor shows on the dash.

Haven't had one show up on my GMC yet so I couldn't tell you if it resets immediately or if you need to drive for a bit to reset it.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Maybe you have iSmart schrader valves and the air you are putting in is being diverted wirelessly to the tire that needs it the most

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Winkles_9

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Jun 24, 2021
Annandale MN
I just had this problem with my suburban. If the tires are rotated, the car doesn't know the position of the tire anymore. You need to code the truck with a tool to each tire. There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do it also.

1669847883383.png

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
i also have a silverado. My owners manual outlines the procedure to manually update the TPMS system so that each tire is registered to the correct position on the truck. It involves turning the ignition key on and off a couple times and using the setting buttons in the truck and letting air out of each tire in turn, starting with the driver side front tire and listening for the horn to sound when each tire is registered. After that procedure you need to put air back in each tire to the correct pressure and drive a short distance. The correct tire pressure will then show on the dash. My Silverado is a 2007 2500 Duramax. Other models and years may differ in the procedure. Check your owners manual. Since it sounds like you have the 1500 model, here is a link on how to reset your TPMS.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Put my winter tires on last Saturday, and they had to be programmed into the car. The machine that was used didn't recognize the sensors in the valves, but the car did. Marked the summer tires so they will go back on in the same place as they came off.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Marked the summer tires so they will go back on in the same place as they came off.
doesnt matter, they still gonna have to be programmed back…

edit: this is if you have seperate wheels/sensors for each set of tires. If it’s just a tire swap then wheels need marked or reprogrammed for position when swapped back (if it’s a vehicle that does display individual tire pressure or has a different pressure setting between front and rear tires)

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
JEZZUS BLOODY KRIST,,, this is more than should ever have to be on a truck !!! Aww well it is what it is I guess,, Ahh the heat yeah well like you guys said the sensors out side and inside were doing what they were suppose to do, so it is cold it blows hot till it warms up in side then regulates the temp like it should be. To much computer stuff to worry about,, and evolution marches on ward

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I wouldn't even think of filling my tires according to a TPMS system. They are notoriously inaccurate. I pay zero attention to it unless there is some sudden change. Then I use a quality gauge to investigate.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Wife’s car dash readout is showing all four tires at correct air pressure…but the dash keeps chiming and flashing low tire pressure warning. All four tested with gauge and ok!! 😡😡😡 hmm, just had a brain flash…maybe it’s the full size spare ???.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
JEZZUS BLOODY KRIST,,, this is more than should ever have to be on a truck !!! Aww well it is what it is I guess,, Ahh the heat yeah well like you guys said the sensors out side and inside were doing what they were suppose to do, so it is cold it blows hot till it warms up in side then regulates the temp like it should be. To much computer stuff to worry about,, and evolution marches on ward
That's why I just use my manual gauge and check each tire if one is showing low 😬😬😬

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife’s car dash readout is showing all four tires at correct air pressure…but the dash keeps chiming and flashing low tire pressure warning. All four tested with gauge and ok!! 😡😡😡 hmm, just had a brain flash…maybe it’s the full size spare ???.
Might have one on your spare, or the batteries are getting low.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
TPMS is one of the worst 'safety' items ever put into vehicles. It's hard to implement,hard to relearn when a tire is swapped, does next to anything for safety(readings can be 5PSI off, for sure 2PSI ) and EASY to bypass(fool)
As for putting tires back where they were, I swap mine every 5K,old skool X pattern and get a LOT of extra miles on them. IF you swap often, no 'ride/wear' issues.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I bought a cheap TPMS relearn tool since I have separate winter and summer tires for the truck and the wife’s car. GM vehicles after around 2012 have to have a tool to relearn the sensors.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's too bad 'they' just don't use a 'smart' TPMS computer. Takes about 200 lines of assembler for the 'computer' to figure out which sensor is at what wheel location, then 'lock them in'. When tires get changed ( twice a year...or a flat..), the smart computer KNOWS this and makes the appropriate changes.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
It's too bad 'they' just don't use a 'smart' TPMS computer. Takes about 200 lines of assembler for the 'computer' to figure out which sensor is at what wheel location, then 'lock them in'. When tires get changed ( twice a year...or a flat..), the smart computer KNOWS this and makes the appropriate changes.
Oh sure, they COULD do that, but it would probably be a $2000 option.