Status
Not open for further replies.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
hmm.. 'reverse mortage'....devil in the details...
say you get one for $100K ( house is valued at $200K)...
time passes, a lot of time... now you owe ($100K + $50K interest)...
market tanks and house now worth $125K)..
so.. you (well your heirs...) owe $150K ,sell house for $125K..
does the estate( heirs) OWE the RM company $25K ???

Wonder if THAT is in the 'fine print' ????

I'm thinking it is... sure be nice to know BEFORE you sign on the dotted line !!
No one is responsibe for someone else's debt at their death. For the debt to be a heirs responsibility they have to have their name on the note/deed.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
No one is responsibe for someone else's debt at their death. For the debt to be a heirs responsibility they have to have their name on the note/deed.
Correct, there is no duty to settle an insolvent estate.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
About 25 years ago I thought I had a great business idea and I shared it with my extended family at Thanksgiving dinner. Offer to buy out old peoples homes in town for a nominal amount with an agreement that they get to live their rent/property tax free for the rest of their lives.

When they moved out or died the property was mine to do with as I sought fit. In the older parts of town there were a lot of old tiny houses on huge lots which today are considered to be "estate lots" that capture a premium. You could either build monster McMansions or multiplexes easily for a good return. Everyone told me I was being ghoulish and no-one in their right minds would sign up for such a deal.

Now it's a mainstream idea and called a reverse mortgage.
Another form of transfer that works similarly is granting a life estate. Been around a long time. You buy the property and allow the person to live there. When they die you get it. An attractive option for some people. But not the majority of people.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: No one is responsibe for someone else's debt at their death.

ok, the 'ESTATE' has to settle the revmort debt,after that THEN the estate gets dispersed. The 'money lender' will have the house/property listed as collateral on the loan, same as a 'line of credit' here in Ontario( at least with Royal Bank)

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Another form of transfer that works similarly is granting a life estate. Been around a long time. You buy the property and allow the person to live there. When they die you get it. An attractive option for some people. But not the majority of people.
Except that at least in Minnesota, if one has a life estate on a piece of property, and they then accept county aid to pay for any assisted living, the county will place a lien against that property, for that amount, and you will be on the hook for that lien.

We went through it with my in-laws on a cabin, and acreage that they gave us with a life interest. There is much more to the story, but when they both had passed, we didn’t actually owe any money, but we could have if my Mother-in-law had lived even a month longer.

Reactions: 1 user

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
The reverse mortgage companies say "it's not a scam to take your house" but that's exactly what it is. It's not a scam, they give the owner money. But they could make a year or 2 of payments, them you die or have to be moved into a nursing home and then they take your house for peanuts.
I guess if your kids are disappoints and you don't want them to get your house it's a good deal.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Lets face it, there are some elderly that are cash poor but property rich. They may be too proud to admit their station or they have no support from relatives. As bad as a reverse mortgage can be it may be a life line to these people.
It is a shame that so few people are willing to take in their elderly parents late in life.
We maintain a standing offer to have mom take over the downstairs as long as she she does not preach to me about cigars and bourbon.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My dementia Mother was secretly talked-into a “life estate deed” by my brother who worked with a sneaky-lawyer who was my Moms neighbor. (He knew Mom had been adjudged incapable of making decisions two years earlier but our brother had hired him to get-around the will.)
Basically… brother gets the house when Mom dies… despite the will she and Dad had made years previously which gave the estate (and house) equally to all 3 of us.

When I found out… My sister and I retained a lawyer who pointed out that Mom’s “life-estate deed” could only give the crooked brother the house…IF she still owned the house at her death.

So my sister and I (we were Moms’ executor and standby-executor) SOLD the house before Moms’ death. (Sneaky Brother cannot inherit a house Mom doesn’t own at her death.)

The money went into the estate which was equally shared by all of us as Mom and Dad had planned years earlier in their will.

Brother and his Filipino wife (who had convinced him to pull the stunt) didn’t get what they thought they’d get… in fact….in anticipation of their sneaky windfall…they’d spent a ton of money they didn’t get after-all… and are now deep in debt. My sis and I have disowned them.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ron Reagan signed it into law. Tom Selleck sells it. Nuff said?

Who controlled Congress in 1988?

Democrats regained control of the Senate and held the House after the 1986 elections.
Texan Jim Wright succeeded the retiring Thomas P. “Tip” O'Neill of Massachusetts as Speaker. The 100th Congress (1987–1989) reacted to several crises.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
hmm.. 'reverse mortage'....devil in the details...
say you get one for $100K ( house is valued at $200K)...
time passes, a lot of time... now you owe ($100K + $50K interest)...
market tanks and house now worth $125K)..
so.. you (well your heirs...) owe $150K ,sell house for $125K..
does the estate( heirs) OWE the RM company $25K ???

Wonder if THAT is in the 'fine print' ????

I'm thinking it is... sure be nice to know BEFORE you sign on the dotted line !!
Reverse mortgages are “non-recourse” loans, which means that if you default on the loan, or if the loan cannot otherwise be repaid, the lender cannot look to your other assets (or your estate’s assets) to meet the outstanding balance on your loan.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
the home is the collateral for a reverse mortgage. When the homeowner moves or dies, the proceeds from the home’s sale go to the lender to repay the reverse mortgage’s principal, interest, mortgage insurance, and fees. Any sale proceeds beyond what was borrowed go to the homeowner (if still living) or the homeowner’s estate (if the homeowner has died). In some cases, the heirs may choose to pay off the mortgage so that they can keep the home.

so the estate is liable to pay off the entire reverse mortgage amounts.....from the asset of the house.
Odds are real good the value of the house will have gone up,so selling the house will pay for the amount of the reverse mortgage.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Who controlled Congress in 1988?

Democrats regained control of the Senate and held the House after the 1986 elections.
Texan Jim Wright succeeded the retiring Thomas P. “Tip” O'Neill of Massachusetts as Speaker. The 100th Congress (1987–1989) reacted to several crises.
The First Proposal, approved by the Senate, was in 1983 and was brought by Republican Senator John Heinz.

Status
Not open for further replies.