Morton Building Project - NH

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Too late now but for others...... I use a 2X4 or better a 2X6 of the most rot resistant pressure treated wood to close off the entrance edge of the concrete. Then I form an apron in front of it at the approach to the door. I leave the outer edge of that apron open so the truck can back (or if you are lucky, drive) up to the internal pour. When the floor is filled I ask the driver how much concrete is left and adjust the outer form to accommodate the remainder. That way the overage you must order to be sure of having enough becomes an apron approaching the door. The pressure treated 2X6 stays in place dividing the apron from the floor to avoid cracking. I have been doing this for 20 years with great success. Recently I put 1"-2” of blue or pink insulation under the apron just before the concrete goes down and it does not heave due to frost here in the north land. If I am really thinking I frame another pad in front of the man door and the last bit of concrete goes there too. If we run out I mix it later in my borrowed mixer with gravel from the perimeter back-fill and Portland cement with rebar and insulation. It always feels like I get something for nothing as the concrete would be wasted otherwise.
Pictures?

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
Sorry I’m in AZ for the winter. I’ve been building my whole life so I seldom have pictures of mundane processes. BTW I hold the PT in place with forming rods just like always but do not use any nails or screws as the rods must be pulled when the apron pour happens. I use stones or bricks to keep the top of the PT to grade. That apron might have extended 6 feet if I had more concrete left. It got brush finished as we had lots of finishing to do inside the building and under an attached shed. I had only two helpers and one is 80. The only picture I can find is poor:
IMG_0894 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Sorry I’m in AZ for the winter. I’ve been building my whole life so I seldom have pictures of mundane processes. BTW I hold the PT in place with forming rods just like always but do not use any nails or screws as the rods must be pulled when the apron pour happens. I use stones or bricks to keep the top of the PT to grade. That apron might have extended 6 feet if I had more concrete left. It got brush finished as we had lots of finishing to do inside the building and under an attached shed. I had only two helpers and one is 80. The only picture I can find is poor:
View attachment 90923
Thanks. (Words, descriptions, Instructions etc. I'm a visual person.)

Nice, RVing in AZ?

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
Thanks. (Words, descriptions, Instructions etc. I'm a visual person.)

Nice, RVing in AZ?
Since I was a builder, 20 years ago I built a small Santa Fe in an old mining town down near the MX border. Yes it is nice right now. 45 overnight but 70º and full Sun every day. RVing is good too!

Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Since I was a builder, 20 years ago I built a small Santa Fe in an old mining town down near the MX border. Yes it is nice right now. 45 overnight but 70º and full Sun every day. RVing is good too!
Very nice.

Yeah I built a RV pad here at my farm with full hooks last October, I had it rented for this month, but the couple said they now can't make it now, good thing it's paid this month but I was hoping some other snow birds would finish renting it out till March/April.
So if you run into someone headed further South, let me know.

Screenshot_20221121_093003.jpg
Screenshot_20221121_093029.jpg
Screenshot_20221121_093057.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

RichardD

Equipment
MX5100
Nov 10, 2021
Kansas
Very nice.

Yeah I built a RV pad here at my farm with full hooks last October, I had it rented for this month, but the couple said they now can't make it now, good thing it's paid this month but I was hoping some other snow birds would finish renting it out till March/April.
So if you run into someone headed further South, let me know.

View attachment 90975 View attachment 90976 View attachment 90977
Great looking place! Looks like the Texas Hill country. Especially like the Texas Longhorn cow! We raised them for 20 years and I also was the TLBAA President in the late 1980s. While we live in the flint hills grass country in Kansas, I spent a lot of time in Texas.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Great looking place! Looks like the Texas Hill country. Especially like the Texas Longhorn cow! We raised them for 20 years and I also was the TLBAA President in the late 1980s. While we live in the flint hills grass country in Kansas, I spent a lot of time in Texas.
Thanks. Very nice.

I'm in South Texas, Bee county, rolling terrain, not flat

RichardD

Equipment
MX5100
Nov 10, 2021
Kansas
Thanks!

22 minutes North of Beeville, Texas

1 hour North of Corpus Christi

1.2 Hours South of San Antonio
Neat area. We have old friends who have a ranch near Victoria And we have visited the there several times. I bet anyone who might rent your RV would like the area.

Reactions: 1 user

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Well.......we finally got here.

Cement floor was poured today......it had some wild moments but overall it came out well. The second truck evidently mixed in more calcium carbonate than they should have so there was a little "urgency" to some of the work. There was also about 2 yds of cement "leftover" that was piled up wet outside the door that the contractor and I teamed up with the B2601 to take about 6 buckets of wet cement out back and dump.......I didn't have a great plan for extra cement. I ended up making a small pad off to the side of the yard that I can drop the pallet forks, box blade etc. on for storage......I flattened it out with the tractor bucket then tamped it down with my hand steel tamper......glad I had one.

Came out well overall. Gotta let it sit for a couple days and dry before putting some "stuff" in there.

I also need to think about what I want to spread around outside the building to raise the grade a touch......gravel, stay-mat etc

EDIT: Just looked back at my original post.....May 25th.....so roughly 6 months to the day from start to finish when I gave my deposit and then through the site work, inspections etc. Targeted a budget of $50K and came in at about $57-58K for those who are interested.

View attachment 90778 View attachment 90779 View attachment 90780 View attachment 90781 View attachment 90782
Awesome building, looks great! can't wait to get one built on my place.

Reactions: 1 user