Compression Test Adapter

webert1316

Equipment
L2850
May 15, 2021
Mesquite TX
Working on an L2850DT no start. Checked the valve clearance twice, want to check the compression. ( the tractor was running before pulling the head.) purchased this
DAYUAN 17 pc Diesel Engine Compression Tester Kit Tool Set Automotive Compressor

which has an adapter that almost fits the glow plug. It's just a little too long and the threads won't catch. Does anyone have a source for the correct adapter? The threads on the adapter I have are 1.25.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm just going to say off the top of my head, very unlikely that your no start is caused by non or low compression.
I'll put my bet on no fuel delivery...

You can get the adapter on eBay or Amazon, lots of choices just match the model adapter to your glow plug.

A few examples:

webert1316

Equipment
L2850
May 15, 2021
Mesquite TX
I'm just going to say off the top of my head, very unlikely that your no start is caused by non or low compression.

You can get the adapter on eBay or Amazon, lots of choices just match the model adapter to your glow plug.

A few examples:
Thanks for the reply. I just want to check the compression before I go to far down other paths of troubleshooting. I bled the fuel lines and made sure there was fuel getting to the injectors. I also pulled the injectors and ordered replacements. A couple of the injector bolts weren't very tight. I'll check out the links you sent. This is the first time I'm checking compression on a diesel so not familiar with the adadters. Do they seal at the top of the threads or do they seal at the glow plug seat? The one I have bottoms out at the seat.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do they seal at the top of the threads or do they seal at the glow plug seat? The one I have bottoms out at the seat.
Glow plugs for the Kubota engines vary, that's why I can't get you an exact adapter model to use.
Some seat at the base and some at the middle (so at the tip of an adapter) look at your glow plug and see where it's seating and then match the adapter up to that, the adapter will be the same or close to same length of threads back from the seat point.

webert1316

Equipment
L2850
May 15, 2021
Mesquite TX
Glow plugs for the Kubota engines vary, that's why I can't get you an exact adapter model to use.
Some seat at the base and some at the middle (so at the tip of an adapter) look at your glow plug and see where it's seating and then match the adapter up to that, the adapter will be the same or close to same length of threads back from the seat point.
I didn't know there was so much variation. One of the reasons I was reaching out here is that the adapters I see with the right pitch, don't have the dimensions listed and you can't really tell from a photo. The glow plug for my tractor seats at the middle. The closest adapter I have in the compression test kit is about 1/4 inch off. The distance between the threads and the seat is too long. I may see if a machine shop can shorten the adapter I have to match the GP. Probably cost the same as a new adapter. I'm cheap so I don't want to keep buying adapters until I find the one that fits. Thanks.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I didn't know there was so much variation. ... I don't want to keep buying adapters until I find the one that fits.
If you post a good image of the glow plug and your current adapter side-by-side, plus a ruler with the zero at the tip of the glow end, or the seat, it might help some people like me understand better.

Good to avoid swapnostics, do it once, do it right. (Except when running out of money, in which case "risk assessment" takes over :cautious: )

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Unfortunately , like a dummy, I left the adapter out in the country with the tractor
The glow plug was the important bit anyway. Its a lot longer than any adapters I have, which came with a TU-15 kit from China (looks like many others branded and unbranded you can get on the 'net).
Hope you find one.

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

A few examples:
Wolfman, I see these are glow plug adapters, do you know of an injector adapter for a D1305? As well as a test kit? I am chasing a no start and leaning towards a possible blown head gasket due to overheat at work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, I see these are glow plug adapters, do you know of an injector adapter for a D1305? As well as a test kit? I am chasing a no start and leaning towards a possible blown head gasket due to overheat at work.
The kit I have from harbor freight came with both injector and glow plug adapters.
pull a glow plug and take it with you for comparison if you have a local store.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
The kit I have from harbor freight came with both injector and glow plug adapters.
pull a glow plug and take it with you for comparison if you have a local store.
This is what I'm finding. I don't have the mower with me, we are waiting on space in shop, just want to be ready once it arrives.
Screenshot 2022-11-18 113417.png

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Just coming back around on this, the above kit will not work for the glow plug in a D1305. Its plugs are 8mm-1.0, the kit only goes down to 10mm-1.0. I will more than likely return the $60 kit and get the $120 one, it has 2 8mm adapters in it. Unless I can find just the adapter online somewhere.
8AB46B41-06E7-40E5-927D-1E60ADB16637.jpeg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Probably cheaper to get the bigger kit.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Probably cheaper to get the bigger kit.

I think you're right. I found one on Amazon, but cant get a straight answer if it will fit this compression tester. I will return this kit and get the bigger one.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
If the larger kit doesn't work, let me know. I could easily make you an adapter.

Reactions: 1 user