Best Time To Buy?

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
I'm wondering if there's a rule-of-thumb to when Kubota offers the best deals?

The more I think about the GR2120, the more I realize that it's NOT a 2/3rds version of a BX. The engineering just seems novice level from a batch of recent engineering school grads, not seasoned engineers.

You can't count on anything like you once could. Times have really changed and are much more fluid and dynamic than they were. I'm just wondering if the Fall is best, or maybe March if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the help!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I don't think there's really a best time to buy. Traditionally Kubota have run the same promotion year round - it's the 5 years interest free. In the current environment I suspect that's not coming back.

There is a school of thought that says to buy at end of mowing season, there'll be deals from dealers who don't want to hold stock over winter. But people buy them for snow work too, and I think Kubota finance the stock on the dealer lots - the dealer doesn't have to pay for it until sold.....so they don't care so much about stock carrying costs.

There is a school of thought you buy at the start of mowing season, when there's deals around, because that's when everyone's buying tractors. But it can be hard to get attention from a big dealer who has commercial customers who need things at that time of year.

And then nobody really knows what's happening in the economy. In theory the shortages will go away and prices will start coming down. Or maybe inflation will take off and everything will be 10% more expensive next year. Or maybe there'll be a steel shortage. Or maybe the steel shortage will end. Or maybe there'll be a trade war with China that'll push up the price of everything.

My theory is that the best time to buy is when you need it. Then, even if prices drop a bit, you've had use of it for 6 months, and that's worth something, so you're breaking even. If prices rise you feel clever, you had the tractor early and saved money. So either break even or come out a bit ahead.

If you delay buying then maybe prices drop, but you went without a tractor. So break even. But maybe prices go up, and you went without a tractor. So you're coming out well behind. So either break even or come out well behind.

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I agree with the above. Also, prices for equipment do not seem to be nearly as volatile as other things. You might want to visit your dealer, and you can see if he has any stock of your mower. If none, they should be able to tell you what they plan to order/expect. It may turn out that they would have to special order it.

On the other hand, if you see several on the dealer's lot - you might want to try to make a good deal; the dealership will not want to hold mowers over the winter.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I dont think there is much of a good time price wise. It doesnt seem like abyone moves much on MSRP....if at all.
5 yr at 0% is probably gone by now. It was when I bought in the late summer. I was waiting for a loader and the dealer worked it out with Kubota so I was able to still get it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
best time to buy ?

probably an hour AFTER you've made your 'deal'.....

Just thank Mr. Murphy....

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My time to buy .......... should have been 10 years BEFORE I bought my first one.

After I got my BX and realized what it COULD do, and what I no longer HAD TO PHYSICALLY do..... I kicked my own ass for NOT getting it sooner.

Jump in the water temp is perfect - and watch the rabbit hole, once in - you may find the need to buy another, and another!!! Said the person that had 5 kubotas at one time!

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm wondering if there's a rule-of-thumb to when Kubota offers the best deals?

The more I think about the GR2120, the more I realize that it's NOT a 2/3rds version of a BX. The engineering just seems novice level from a batch of recent engineering school grads, not seasoned engineers.

You can't count on anything like you once could. Times have really changed and are much more fluid and dynamic than they were. I'm just wondering if the Fall is best, or maybe March if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the help!
After the recession takes hold.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you are looking to save $$$$ then look in the fall for used mowers, and look for snowblowers in the spring when the snow is gone. If you want to buy new, then buy when you have the money to complete the purchase. As the old expression goes, money talks..........

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
"Time to buy" for tractors these days is 6 months before you need it.

Where timing DOES matter is when shopping for implements from Craigslist/Facebook market place. Mowers and the like stop being sold in late fall, early winter and will maybe be reposted in the spring. Fall might get you better deals there.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Best time to buy?

I wish there was such a time. With Kubotas it seems like if the item you want becomes available, you'd better buy it then, before it's no longer available. Just make your best deal and get your hands on it.

In some cases, I'd rather have the tool in my garage than the cash in the bank.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I'd rather have the tool in my garage than the cash in the bank.

so do my neighbours !!!! LOVE that I can move this and that, dig here,there, every where, get their projects DONE in hours not weeks or YEARS......
'simple' things like moving a 2'x2'x4' block of concrete..... EASY with the BX23S !!

BTW money in the bank here earns next to ZERO interest, invested in equipment return 'Thank yous', farm fresh eggs, cookies, soups, etc.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
If you are buying used you need to be both ready and patient. Last summer I decided on a BX like a friend of mine had. My thought was to get a later model BX2370 or 80. Asking prices were close to the price of a new tractor and so close to the value of my bigger tractor I got discouraged but keep looking. A couple of BX1870’s came up quite a bit cheaper and finally one with 85 hours, 48 inch mower, a FEL, a pair of add on forks, weight bucket and a BX5450 snowblower for what seemed a great price. I looked at it, offered $2,000 under his price and within a week, bought it at close to that. C-L found me a like new 60” rear blade for $350 about 100 miles away. Being patient and flexible worked out. The BX1870 seems to have enough to do what I need and the narrow mower goes everywhere I need to mow. Everyone that sees the tractor thinks I bought new as 85 hours and it’s condition look that way.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Best time to buy?

I wish there was such a time. With Kubotas it seems like if the item you want becomes available, you'd better buy it then, before it's no longer available. Just make your best deal and get your hands on it.

In some cases, I'd rather have the tool in my garage than the cash in the bank.

I prefer both !

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Here in WI it never changes unless you are just looking for a mower and nothing else. Used are impossible to find at a reasonable price. Just have to stumble upon it and snag it before someone else does. New, find it in stock at a dealer you can trust. Even with the shortages my dealer was not changing pricing on tractors and accessories.

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
Kubota is still offering the 0.00 APR for 72 months and the 0.99 for 84 months at least until June 30th for the BX1880 and BX2680. I'm wondering if this will continue after that for the second half of the year?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Kubota is still offering the 0.00 APR for 72 months and the 0.99 for 84 months at least until June 30th for the BX1880 and BX2680. I'm wondering if this will continue after that for the second half of the year?
Before Covid - it seemed to be the norm, I will tell you this - if you are thinking about getting a new machine, go ahead and do it!! I bought mine 10 years ago and wished I bought it 20 years ago!!!!

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
The new offer has reduced terms as predicted (until 9/30/23).

0.00 APR for 60 months.
0.99 APR for 72 months.
1.00 APR for 84 months.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
No crystal ball here, but Kubota will most likely always have some sort of deal like that. The only things that change are the terms.

The fed just kicked it up a 1/4 point and "hinted" at one more increase this year.

In my opinion inflation is still going strong, so tractors won't be getting cheaper in the near future.

I think this leads to higher rates in the future as well, but I am certainly not an expert by any means.

It's always a crap shoot. (unless you get 0% for 84 like me;))

I would venture to say that 1% is still "historically" a very good rate.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No crystal ball here, but Kubota will most likely always have some sort of deal like that. The only things that change are the terms.

The fed just kicked it up a 1/4 point and "hinted" at one more increase this year.

In my opinion inflation is still going strong, so tractors won't be getting cheaper in the near future.

I think this leads to higher rates in the future as well, but I am certainly not an expert by any means.

It's always a crap shoot. (unless you get 0% for 84 like me;))

I would venture to say that 1% is still "historically" a very good rate.
I keep looking,..... but I still cannot find any bank, or financial institution, who will loan money for 84 months at "0%".
Please 'splain how Kubota can afford to loan money at "0%"? :ROFLMAO:
Because they be burying the loan cost in the upfront price maybe? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users