Fuel prices

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
No idea where that $3 a gallon in 2005 comes from. I live in Nevada, traditionally gas prices are much higher here than the rest of the country because our gas comes from California. Each vehicle I own has a log book in it in which I log every fuel fillup. Just checked one of the logs - in 2005 I paid anywhere from $1.95 per gallon to $2.22 per gallon depending on where I fueled. Nowhere close to $3 a gallon.

That same log book shows I paid around 55 cents a gallon in 1976!
I remember when $5 in the fuel tank would let you run around all over town on a Friday night with your friends.

Now $5 will let you drive from one pump up to the next one.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Just came across this news article from August 2005 on TBN. Seems that high fuel prices are nothing new.

Back in August 2005, someone reported that gasoline was $3.089 per gallon. If we adjust that amount for inflation that same 2005 gallon of gasoline would cost $4.70! According to the inflation calculator, the Cumulative rate of inflation from 2005 to today is 52.0%. In reality, we are paying the same price for gasoline today as we were in 2005. It is just that the price of gasoline had drastically gone down in those 15 years and has suddenly started to go up in the last almost 2 years.
Even if correct.....just because we've seen relatively high fuel prices in the past doesn't make it anymore palatable for folks at the pump now.

The issue is high fuel costs when it is unnecessarily so! Combine that with inflation (drastically affecting the purchasing power of the dollar) and it makes a pretty poor mix for the average household.

The only question is: Does it have to be this way. And IF the answer is no....then why the hell is it? THAT is what folks should be focusing on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought gas at local Quick Trip and they didn't seem to be concerned about running out of supply. I paid $3.33 a gallon.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yahoo says we only got 25 more days of fuel left
Interesting, the refinery here is still producing like normal. Actually, the production has gone up since they have finished their turnaround. Yet, maybe Yahoo has some insider information like Pelosi's husband and knows more than we do. ;)

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Perhaps going to a definitive source like like the US department of energy's energy information site.... Would give a more accurate view of the supplies. That said the USA currently produces more oil than it can refine. And that is truly where the problem with pricing is. Shifting some of the fuel used for transport to electric will help with the cost of gas and diesel. Because if there is less demand then you will see cheaper prices at the pump.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Shifting some of the fuel used for transport to electric will help with the cost of gas and diesel. Because if there is less demand then you will see cheaper prices at the pump.

[/QUOTE]

🤢 I'll hold my breath till that happens. 🤑

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Perhaps going to a definitive source like like the US department of energy's energy information site.... Would give a more accurate view of the supplies. That said the USA currently produces more oil than it can refine. And that is truly where the problem with pricing is. Shifting some of the fuel used for transport to electric will help with the cost of gas and diesel. Because if there is less demand then you will see cheaper prices at the pump.
But....the U.S.A consumes more than it pumps or refines. Last numbers (July/ Aug) I saw show we are in a deficit of about 5m bpd.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A few minutes ago the news said the national average for gas was $3.83 and AZ was $4.73. :mad:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Our gas prices are $3.69-$3.99 depending on the station in the area. Yet, come January 1st, we will see a BIG increase at the pump. The Governor has suspended the gas tax increase until after the election, but will be put back into place along with the inflation increase. The guess is that the tax will be 40-50 cents more a gallon. Here is an article about it:

Come July 1, gas station owners are legally required to post signs about a delay in the next automatic gas tax hike. Pritzker and state lawmakers added the signs, plus $500 per day fines for station owners, to the new budget. The law states the four-inch by eight-inch signs must state, in bold: “As of July 1, 2022, the State of Illinois has suspended the inflation adjustment to the motor fuel tax through December 31, 2022. The price on this pump should reflect the suspension of the tax increase.”

The IFRA is in a legal battle with the state over the mandate. The association sees the signs as forced political speech that amount to political ads for incumbent lawmakers just before an election. The case is expected to be heard June 24 in federal court.

The association is adding text to Pritzker’s version of the signs stating Illinois has the second-highest gas taxes in the nation, that the gas taxes were doubled by state leaders in 2019, that the hike is only being temporarily delayed and that they are being forced to post the notice under threat of $500 per day fines. If the IFRA loses in court, gas stations will post the required signage, but their CEO Josh Sharp said drivers will get the full context.

“We will follow the law and post the signs if the courts require us to do so,” Sharp said. “But we are going to make sure our customers understand the whole story about our state’s gas tax, not just the part some of the lawmakers in Springfield want to talk about.”

When the state doubled the gas tax to 38 cents from 19 cents in 2019, Pritzker approved an automatic inflation increase every July 1. Delaying the July 1 increase means drivers will see two increases in 2023: the delayed one that hits on Jan. 1, and the regular July 1 increase expected to take the excise tax to 45.2 cents per gallon.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I’m buying it in New Mexico for $3.28 per gallon. AZ must have high fuel taxes.
No, just f'ing over people.

The federal government levies a tax of 18.4 cents on every gallon of gas sold to American motorists. On top of the federal gas tax, as of January 2022, Arizona levied an additional tax of 19.0 cents per gallon - the fourth lowest gas tax among states.Mar 24, 2022

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: That said the USA currently produces more oil than it can refine. A

if so WHY do you keep BUYING my oil ??????

• Haha

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yahoo says we only got 25 more days of fuel left
We probably always have only about a months worth of fuel

The federal government levies a tax of 18.4 cents on every gallon of gas sold to American motorists. On top of the federal gas tax, as of January 2022, Arizona levied an additional tax of 19.0 cents per gallon - the fourth lowest gas tax among states.Mar 24, 2022
All I know is I’m buying it in New Mexico for $3.28. A few weeks ago when I traveled to Arizona I was surprised to see the huge price difference in fuel between Gallup, NM and Holbrook, AZ, only 100 miles apart on I-40. And your fuel in that part of AZ comes from the same refinery east of Gallup that is suppling both cities.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
The latest figures from the Bureau for Economic Analysis show that the profits of the U.S. coal and oil industry increased 340% between the first and second quarters of 2022. Companies selling petroleum and coal products made an estimated $49.7 billion in profits from April to June, compared with $11.3 billion from January to March.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The latest figures from the Bureau for Economic Analysis show that the profits of the U.S. coal and oil industry increased 340% between the first and second quarters of 2022. Companies selling petroleum and coal products made an estimated $49.7 billion in profits from April to June, compared with $11.3 billion from January to March.
Yes, if you drive the price of oil up worldwide, the companies that have it make more money. That's why it is bad for the govt to do things that drive the price up which makes the fuel prices higher.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

The problem is not the taxes levied on fuel (which goes to support highway and infrastructure maintenance, etc.). The problem is Greedy Corporations taking advantage.

A tax on fuel is one of the fairest of all taxes… Those who USE the highways most are the ones who PAY for the upkeep.

I wish I could have opted out of the military costs of Iraq,/Afghanistan.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The problem is not the taxes levied on fuel (which goes to support highway and infrastructure maintenance, etc.). The problem is Greedy Corporations taking advantage.

A tax on fuel is one of the fairest of all taxes… Those who USE the highways most are the ones who PAY for the upkeep.
It's a regressive tax in that it disproportionately hurts those who can afford it the least. No matter if you make 100K or 10K, you pay the same rate.

Also, those with electric cars don't pay any fuel taxes and only some charge them any tax at all. Instead, they get tax breaks if they can afford an electric.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It's a regressive tax in that it disproportionately hurts those who can afford it the least. No matter if you make 100K or 10K, you pay the same rate.

Also, those with electric cars don't pay any fuel taxes and only some charge them any tax at all. Instead, they get tax breaks if they can afford an electric.
Typical. Rich people get tax breaks. No wonder they claim “America…Land of the Free.”