Things Are Expensive…So What?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have always looked for the best price when buying anything.

Unfortunately I remember what things cost only a couple years ago. So today there is (in my mind) no longer a good price anywhere!

What can I do to get over this affliction? I want to buy some building materials but can’t take my wallet out of my pocket!

HELP!

Reactions: 2 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have always looked for the best price when buying anything.

Unfortunately I remember what things cost only a couple years ago. So today there is (in my mind) no longer a good price anywhere!

What can I do to get over this affliction? I want to buy some building materials but can’t take my wallet out of my pocket!

HELP!
I fully understand. I am retired, my wife is still working (couple more years) we have a comfortable income but I've put off building an enclosed porch on the back of the house for the same reason you cite.

I can afford to do it....but its just the 'thought' that my purchasing power is probably 40% less for building materials than it was 2 years ago. I'm not even a frugal person by nature.

Will generally buy whatever I have to have (or really want) and just go on. But there is just something about the inflated pricing of everything right now that kind of sticks in my craw.

So if you figure it out my friend....please let me know.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I fully understand. I am retired, my wife is still working (couple more years) we have a comfortable income but I've put off building an enclosed porch on the back of the house for the same reason you cite.

I can afford to do it....but its just the 'thought' that my purchasing power is probably 40% less for building materials than it was 2 years ago. I'm not even a frugal person by nature.

Will generally buy whatever I have to have (or really want) and just go on. But there is just something about the inflated pricing of everything right now that kind of sticks in my craw.

So if you figure it out my friend....please let me know.
Me to, I have a 1/2 finished basement reno that I stopped 2 years ago due to cost's. Just saw 2X4's for $4.55 each,I don't thing so for now.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Me to, I have a 1/2 finished basement reno that I stopped 2 years ago due to cost's. Just saw 2X4's for $4.55 each,I don't thing so for now.
So the prices are coming down!

I felt good about buying 2x4s a while back for around $5 each after seeing them for arond $8 each for a while, I was used to around $3 each for the best quality, when I bought the five buck ones...

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
So the prices are coming down!

I felt good about buying 2x4s a while back for around $5 each after seeing them for arond $8 each for a while, I was used to around $3 each for the best quality, when I bought the five buck ones...
Not for when i started it they were $ 2.50 for a 96" #1 spruce

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I'm super cheap, but will spend money when nessisary. I had priced out to build a small 28x36 shop this spring. With the cost of materials my cost would have doubled. Still working in the driveway for now. The money ended up going towards a new chimney and getting the wife a newer vehicle. I'm hoping prices go down a good bit, and will start buying as I see a good deal. We finished our the second bedroom for my son, and we're able to get the new drywall almost exclusively off market place for pennies on the dollar. You can find deals if you looks for them. Many people spend money they don't have, buy extra then next to give it away when they realize they didn't need it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve been pretty good at estimating construction costs for years.

We would really like to renovate our 2 bathrooms. Would be contracted work. I don’t have the time or expertise to do it.

Not very confident in my estimate anymore, or the ability to get the materials and personnel to do it even if I thought it was affordable.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
As another poster said, VOTE in November. Remember who didn't help you. Remember that gasoline prices are STILL nearly double what they were two years ago, and WHY.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Basic supply vs. demand... problem is someone else is willing to pay the outrageous prices. I was happy to see the price of gas go up but very unhappy to see all the other idiots still on the road. Until supplies out compete demand, why not sell lumber at ridiculous prices... as long as someone is there with an open wallet.

I have several projects on hold... waiting for the price to drop but there are far too many people moving into the area that's willing to pay whatever it cost to build it now.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Lumber futures are down, should see better prices in the near future unless yet another disaster comes around.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Just buy it. I’ve found that whenever I buy something of quality, the cost only hurts for a short time, but the use and enjoyment of the item lasts longer.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Henro, sell something you don,t need or haven,t used in a long time, to someone willing to buy it at a ridiculous price, and use the huge profit from that to buy what you do want, and need, right now. Lots of folks out there, that will buy stuff at crazy high prices, you just have to offer up something they cannot resist.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
As another poster said, VOTE in November. Remember who didn't help you. Remember that gasoline prices are STILL nearly double what they were two years ago, and WHY.
Unfortunately whoever is in office, at least in the big seat, gets to suffer or enjoy things set in motion in the previous couple of administrations, or more. At least as far as the economy goes.

It would be nice if we could elect someone who could simply snap his fingers and make things the way we wish they would be...but that is pie in the sky...to use a dated expression...LOL

Yes we should all vote. I never did until I reached 50 or so...so i can't throw stones.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Henro, you think all those executive orders signed right out of the box (this last time) had no effect on the current economy?

Go back a couple of presidents. When the big O was in office I had two office rentals I couldn't get anyone to take. As soon and the election was declared I had them both filled in two weeks. I asked the tenants what motivated them, both their responses was gov't dictating what small businesses could do that was too limiting, like health ins. for empoyees.