Safe to keep operating with derate from EGR

Matt2ttam

Equipment
M108S, M6-111
Aug 8, 2022
Canada
Hi all,

Question is self explanatory, got the red check engine light with an exclamation in the centre triggering often on a 2015 M108S. It derates the whole machine and looks to be the EGR. We typically run the machines at RPM’s below 1200 and from browsing this helpful forum, found that most likely its soot build up.

lead time to get a mechanic to do anything is about 2 weeks and thats too much down time. Does anyone know if its safe on the engine to keep running it for another 4 months before getting it sorted?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would not keep running it in this condition.

I assume you’re not able to force any type of regeneration now?

Perhaps the dealer can send a technician and computer to do the regeneration in a shorter time if you ask them?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Regen wouldn’t affect the egr system (if that’s where the fault lies). I wouldn’t continue to run it for 4 months…

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Regen wouldn’t affect the egr system (if that’s where the fault lies). I wouldn’t continue to run it for 4 months…
I missed reading the EGR and thought exhaust (particulate) from soot. Need to read more throughly

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi all,

Question is self explanatory, got the red check engine light with an exclamation in the centre triggering often on a 2015 M108S. It derates the whole machine and looks to be the EGR. We typically run the machines at RPM’s below 1200 and from browsing this helpful forum, found that most likely its soot build up.

lead time to get a mechanic to do anything is about 2 weeks and thats too much down time. Does anyone know if its safe on the engine to keep running it for another 4 months before getting it sorted?
What points to the EGR being the problem?

No you can't run it for 4 months derated without bigger problems.

Do you have the shop manuals for these two tractors?

Yes it is a really bad idea to run them at 1200rpm all the time. What is the minimum rpm to permit auto regeneration on those models?

Matt2ttam

Equipment
M108S, M6-111
Aug 8, 2022
Canada
Thanks all! At this point there is no way to run the machine to a point to help burn off anything off the egr. Cleaning is an option but I had to suggest it. Either way, new egr valve is ordered, will take 2-4 weeks. Dealer said aside from it potentially derating full time, no issue running it in that state for the few weeks.

Also, dealer is of course located quite far and its just a complete hassle, so when I said to order the parts and I’ll just get my own mechanics to install it. He went from being very unhelpful, not allowing me to schedule a time slot for the repair (told me to drop the machine off and let it wait around the shop for up to 2 weeks) to saying to just call him and he will send the mechanics out any time!!!! But yet my machine sat at the shop for just over a week to just get plugged in to see what the stupid error code was.

argh!