Bx2680 inner tie rod boot failure

68fish

Equipment
Bx2680
Aug 6, 2022
Ky
Hello all,
I have done a few searches on this topic with no luck. I have a 2 year old bx2680 with 165 hours on the tractor. Both of the inner tie rod boots have failed at this point. Is this a common issue? Am I doing something wrong? 95% of my use is mowing with belly mower, and some light fel work. Any input on this issue?

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I think I have heard the boots have problems, I've only got maybe 70 hours on my 2680 with no problems yet.🤞
I'll have to remember to check them good when I get out there..

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep. Common problem with BX. Had to replace mine years ago on my BX2360.

Apparently, Kubota now wants to sell the tie rod ends instead of just the boot. No part number for the boots. Only the rubber boot is needed, but there’s some aftermarket vendors with a better product. Some guys have just used a piece of bicycle inner tube.

If you search “tie rod boot” or something similar you may find it.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
They failed on my BX23S also. Still waiting for the replacements to show up. Mine failed under the warranty.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Yep. Common problem with BX. Had to replace mine years ago on my BX2360.

Apparently, Kubota now wants to sell the tie rod ends instead of just the boot. No part number for the boots. Only the rubber boot is needed, but there’s some aftermarket vendors with a better product. Some guys have just used a piece of bicycle inner tube.

If you search “tie rod boot” or something similar you may find it.
Now that I think of it and you reminded me.. I think I seen some replacements on eBay. Supposedly a fix for it!

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Yep, common failure item on the BX's. Get the aftermarket ones from BotaProducts and be done with it. I did them on my BX1870 within the first 2 years I think of owning it. They were still holding up well when I traded it in...

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now that I think of it and you reminded me.. I think I seen some replacements on eBay. Supposedly a fix for it!
Thanks. Not sure if that’s what I used, but looks good.

To the OP, I would definitely replace both inners and outers at the same time.

I tore the outers popping out the tie rod. Pickle fork and air hammer worked well.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
My factory outer boots lasted about ten hours. Installed the boots in the link three years ago. Still there and no problem

68fish

Equipment
Bx2680
Aug 6, 2022
Ky
Thanks. Not sure if that’s what I used, but looks good.

To the OP, I would definitely replace both inners and outers at the same time.

I tore the outers popping out the tie rod. Pickle fork and air hammer worked well.
i Just took one tie rod off and mangled the castle nut!! I moved the nut down to the end of the threads, trying not to hammer on the stud like my Daddy told me years ago, to pop out the tie rod, and discovers the nut is aluminum or a soft metal. Destroyed the threads. Just can’t win today. Lol.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
We've installed two of those kits. One on my neighbor's BX and one on my brother's BX. Very nice product and not too bad of an install. Sure beats having to buy the tie rod ends & everything just to replace a bad rubber boot. Also, the new boots in that kit look nicer than the originals.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
We've installed two of those kits. One on my neighbor's BX and one on my brother's BX. Very nice product and not too bad of an install. Sure beats having to buy the tie rod ends & everything just to replace a bad rubber boot. Also, the new boots in that kit look nicer than the originals.
This is all good to know, I saved it from back when I first read about this problem. I just forget about them till the problem arises or someone brings it back to our attention.