Spigot bearing failure

Lecherou

Equipment
B7001
Jul 18, 2022
France
Hi guys
This is my first post and I’m located in France.

I have a couple of Kubotas one of which is an old b7001. A great little workhorse which I bought with the house 16 years ago.
it was starting to give me trouble to the point I could not disengage the gears and could only stop by decompressing the engine.
Finally took the plunge and split it apart.
found that the spigot bearing had failed and was chewed up to the point it was jammed up giving direct drive from the crank to the input shaft.
has any body experienced this problem before and what caused it to happen.
all the other components were in good shape.
Does anyone no the kubota part number as I need to order new one.

thanks in advance

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
On this side of the pond we call them 'pilot' bearings. It goes in the flywheel to align and support the input shaft of the transmission. Others may know the part number.

here's one website...
They do show the dimensions !

might try googling 'france B7001 pilot bushing'. A 'bearing supply company' might have it, IF the dimensions are 'normal'......

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
On this side of the pond we call them 'pilot' bearings. It goes in the flywheel to align and support the input shaft of the transmission. Others may know the part number.

here's one website...

might try googling 'france B7001 pilot bushing'. A 'bearing supply company' might have it, IF the dimensions are 'normal'......
Looked more like the throw out bearing to me, but what a wreck. :)

OP, is this a manual transmission or hydrostatic?
Over here, we call the bushing that supports the end of the transmission shaft in the engine crankshaft a pilot bearing.
We call the bearing that presses against the clutch fingers to disengage it a throw out bearing.
Which are you asking about?

Lecherou

Equipment
B7001
Jul 18, 2022
France

here's one website...

Thanks for that info. I’ll try the ste and see what I get.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Have to admit, I needed Google to tell me what 'spigot' meant, so I assumed it was a 'pilot' bearing,by the name.
I can't tell what it was,sigh...

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Have to admit, I needed Google to tell me what 'spigot' meant, so I assumed it was a 'pilot' bearing,by the name.
I can't tell what it was,sigh...
lol, he meant the pilot bushing but that looks like too much metal for that. And how would one trash like that, unless the end of the input shaft broke?

Lecherou

Equipment
B7001
Jul 18, 2022
France
Looked more like the throw out bearing to me, but what a wreck. :)

OP, is this a manual transmission or hydrostatic?
Over here, we call the bushing that supports the end of the transmission shaft in the engine crankshaft a pilot bearing.
We call the bearing that presses against the clutch fingers to disengage it a throw out bearing.
Which are you asking about?
ok ok. I’m from the old country where we call things by their proper names, not their nicknames 😀.
It’s not the end of the transmission shaft ( as you guys call it) and it’s not from the throw out bearing either.
The damaged parts are paper thin and I picked them out of hole in the crank.
I’m just interested to know what might have caused it.
Question:- should the pilot bushing be assembled dry or oiled into its correct location when I make the reassembly.

Lecherou

Equipment
B7001
Jul 18, 2022
France
ok ok. I’m from the old country where we call things by their proper names, not their nicknames 😀.
It’s not the end of the transmission shaft ( as you guys call it) and it’s not from the throw out bearing either.
Question:- should the pilot bushing be assembled dry or oiled into its correct location when I make the reassembly.
by the way it’s a manual transmission.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I submit that the "proper name" of the described "pilot bushing" is actually pilot bearing, since it is a small machined housing, containing a number of small roller bearings.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Wow, if it WAS a real 'pilot bearing', that explains the huge mess ! I'm wondering if the 'pilot bushing' is the economical replacement ? It's one piece of 'sinterd bronze' and doesn't require any lubrication .
I've never actually seen a 'pilot bearing', only 'bushings'. Be nice to see the WSM or parts page !

This 'might' be it ?? 66621-14120

had to edit my post...something went 'funny', PTB has same number !
It's soooo thin, I can't see the OEM one having needle bearings and a cage.
I'd call it a 'bronze bushing' ( no moving parts).

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I submit that the "proper name" of the described "pilot bushing" is actually pilot bearing, since it is a small machined housing, containing a number of small roller bearings.
I've heard bearing and bushing. In this case, Kubota calls it a bushing, no balls or rollers. This should be what OP needs.

Screenshot_20220718-163225-366.png

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Bushing vs bearing… same application.
1874EE09-2889-48D1-8505-C2279C6D03A1.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Bushing vs bearing… same application. View attachment 83857
I do know the difference between a bearing and a bushing, but am VERY surprised to learn that Kubota actually uses a cheap (oilite?) pilot bushing, rather than a more expensive, and better, pilot bearing.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
It's a filthy location subjected to occasional blasts of friction material and high temperature.

I'll take the bushing.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's a filthy location subjected to occasional blasts of friction material and high temperature.

I'll take the bushing.
To each his own.
I think that most cars/trucks/tractors do use a pilot bearing.

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
t's a filthy location subjected to occasional blasts of friction material and high temperature.

I'll take the bushing.
I agree, at least a oil bronze bushing won't grenade on you for many moons.

Reactions: 1 user