Missing zerks (never installed) on L4060 front wheel case supports.

Jim Goodman

Equipment
2016 L4060
Mar 20, 2011
Raleigh, NC USA
I have an L4060 that I bought last year from a dealer with 170 hours on it. I keep it in a garage and I've only put about 20 light-duty hours on it since then. I grease the loader every 10 hours and I decided to grease the rest of the tractor instead of waiting for 50 hours (which seems like too long of an interval) as stated in the manual. Well, I was looking in the manual for the locations of the zerks, and the manual clearly shows a zerk on the top of the left and right front wheel case supports, where the wheel connects to the axle. Well, please the 2 attached photos. My tractor has a couple of little flat spots in the casting where the zerks are shown in the manual, but there are no holes and no zerks on my tractor.
I'm not sure what to think. If zerks are supposed to go there, a hole would have to be drilled and tapped and I can't imagine that would be something that Kubota would normally have the dealer perform when the tractor was originally delivered to the previous owner. Do I need to worry about this? Thanks for any advice.

UPDATE - SOLVED - I was looking at my operator's manual and had not looked at the WSM and I just looked at that and the 3560 and my 4060 have an axle without grease fittings and the larger models, 4760 and up have axles with zerks. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I wonder if there has been a update. There is no grease fitting shown in the parts break down. I think I would talk to your dealer before installing any zerts. There is a serial # break at 46478, for that piece.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My tractor has a couple of little flat spots in the casting where the zerks are shown in the manual, but there are no holes and no zerks on my tractor.
I'm not sure what to think. If zerks are supposed to go there, a hole would have to be drilled and tapped and I can't imagine that would be something that Kubota would normally have the dealer perform when the tractor was originally delivered to the previous owner. Do I need to worry about this? Thanks for any advice.
No, that would not be a 'dealer prep' item. And nearly all drill/tap procedures on modern manufacture tractors are automated, so not likely 'missed' by the factory.

IF your manual covers several models (as often times they do) this might explain the discrepancy.

If you look closely at the rendering in the manual it doesn't compare well with the configuration on your axle. That being said....my guess is that YOUR tractor does not require lubrication (in grease form) at that point and is more likely lubricated by gear oil, especially if the tractor is 4WD.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Goodman

Equipment
2016 L4060
Mar 20, 2011
Raleigh, NC USA
No, that would not be a 'dealer prep' item. And nearly all drill/tap procedures on modern manufacture tractors are automated, so not likely 'missed' by the factory.

IF your manual covers several models (as often times they do) this might explain the discrepancy.

If you look closely at the rendering in the manual it doesn't compare well with the configuration on your axle. That being said....my guess is that YOUR tractor does not require lubrication (in grease form) at that point and is more likely lubricated by gear oil, especially if the tractor is 4WD.
Thank you, yes, you're right. I was looking at my operator's manual and had not looked at the WSM and I just looked at that and just as you said, the 3560 and my 4060 have an axle without grease fittings and the larger models, 4760 and up have axles with zerks.

Reactions: 1 users

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I went through this with my L4060 5 years ago. In the operator's manual it does omit the zirks in the routine maintenance table for greasing the 3560 and 4060.