Vacuum sealers

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was thinking there was a thread on these things some place but I cant find it. Anyways with things going lke they are i was thinking about doing what I can, sooooo Im asking. I know there are a ton of them out there, but I kinda would like to keep the cost with in reason. Now you guys and gals that have one, manufacturer, pros and cons and cost,, Im waiting

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I had one previously (Food Saver Brand - 16 yrs ago) and only used it seasonally for venison / rabbit / pheasants…that being said it sat unused most of the year (but so does my grinder). While it worked it did pretty good job of getting the air out, but not perfect). It lasted about 2-3 yrs…we had troubling with the sucking quality (don’t make it weird)…and couple things, we could not get rubber seals or gaskets and then ultimately it stopped sucking. Finding the bags that worked with it were a problem for us as well - normal grocery did not have and to order they were expensive. I ended up going to zip lock freezer bags and haven’t looked back. Personally I think using zip lock bags is much quicker and more convenient as well as can be used remotely in the field where no power required…as an example I processed boned out elk into bags at 9000ft. Which in turns greatly reduces cooler size/ space needed as well as much easier to move the cooler. That being said I have friends who have very good luck with the vacuum sealer…mine could have been cheap or operator error? I am not sure but from a time and convenience ziplock is my preference.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a Weston Pro-3000 vacuum sealer that I bought a little over a year ago. I bought it (ordered) from Home Depot with no regrets.

Pros: It's well made, it's built to last, the dual piston pump is quiet, it can seal a 15" wide bag, it has manual and automatic modes, and it does a great job of sealing bags.

Cons: It's fairly large and it's quite expensive at around $580 (I paid around $500) but you get what you pay for. It doesn't feel like it should cost less, and if anything, it feels like it's a good value at around $500.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I've gone through a few different brands over the years. Kinda settled on 2, but for different reasons. I'll slo say there's no point in doing it if tour going to be using the item pretty quickly, as the bags and rolls are pretty expensive compared to normal freezer bags.
Anyway, I was gifted a food saver brand many years ago. Worked ok for home use. (Bulk meat buying, long term dry goods storage) when hunting season came around I took it over to my dad's place. (Where my family does all the butchering) and it lasted about 2 seasons. The vacuum pump died in it. So we got another and it lasted a few years then died as well.
The last time we split a cabelas 14" stainless steel "commercial" model. It was just shy of $500.00 when we bought it. (Was split 7 ways so not bad priced for anyone of us.) It's been working great for many years. Processed countless pounds of meat with it. Has a replaceable heating element and I'd swear it does a better job then the smaller food saver models we had before. Only downside is we agreed it would stay at my mom and dad's place. So I bought, another food saver for my house and thats held up fine for occasional use. (Couldn't justify the cost of a commercial unit.)
One of the best things we recently bought was a good dehydrator. That and the vacuum sealer are worth their weight in gold.
Few things we've learned over the years, some shelf stable products need an oxygen absorber tossed in the bag, and other things could use a desiccant pack tossed in the bag. Somewhere my wife has a list of what you should toss in with specific products.
Buy good quality bags with the channels in them, they seal up better in my experience.
I prefer to get the material on a roll vs buying pre-made bags, it's cheaper and let's you make specific sizes to suit your needs
I haven't had great luck with the vac-u-seal jars. May just be me doing something wrong.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was thinking there was a thread on these things some place but I cant find it. Anyways with things going lke they are i was thinking about doing what I can, sooooo Im asking. I know there are a ton of them out there, but I kinda would like to keep the cost with in reason. Now you guys and gals that have one, manufacturer, pros and cons and cost,, Im waiting
We have had a "Food Saver" for years.
We use it weekly!
Often buy meats on sale, vacuum seal, and freeze.
Rolls of bag material can be bought on Amazon, or at Walmart etc.
You can buy a no frills machine for about $100.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Yeah, there was a thread a couple of months ago.

I have a Foodsaver brand that holds the rolls internally and has a hand-held pump. I almost never use the rolls but the hand-held attachment gets used several times a day. We buy the zip-lock style vacuum bags and store things in those after the original sealed packaging is opened. Deli meats & cheese especially. Keep it in the original packaging to keep the inside of the vacuum bag clean, but the bags can be washed out an reused as necessary, making them quite economical. Even soft things like bread, but don't draw down a hard vacuum -- just enough to pull out the air without squishing the bread.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The thread Ford linked was mine. Like mcmxi, I also bought the Weston 3000 and really like it. It will take rolls up to 15” wide, but most of the time I use 11” rolls.

There are many Foodsaver models that are highly regarded for much less $$$. Many folks here on OTT have Foodsaver sealers.

Last edited:

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
We've had a food saver over 20 years. We buy in bulk, also have a couple marinate containers. We get our vacuum bags at Costco, big combo box. Most of the time there are no problems, but occasionally some food particles get where the sealing happens, and we would just have to reseal. No freezer burn, we do label and date, but easy to see what's inside once frozen.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Have had a few "Food Saver" brand sealers over many years, but the last fancy FS I bought was just a PITA. Bought this one a while back when the pandemic was in full swing at a much higher price than listed here. Extremely pleased with it and feel its much better quality and does a better job than the FS.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Used my Weston today with 15” rolls.

Did some ribs a a few pounds of shrimp.

image.jpg

For us, 15” capacity is nice.

At least 11” would be mandatory. We seal a lot of stuff right from the store this way. Stock up when on sale. Ribs were $1.79 a pound.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Used my Weston today with 15” rolls.

Did some ribs a a few pounds of shrimp.

View attachment 83704

For us, 15” capacity is nice.

At least 11” would be mandatory. We seal a lot of stuff right from the store this way. Stock up when on sale. Ribs were $1.79 a pound.
I haven't removed the white protective wrap from mine either!! I see that you have the 3500 model.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Whatever we have came from Walmart. It's packed away in a moving box somewhere in either my shop or Wife's shop.
We've had it for at least 5 years and until it got packed we used it pretty often especially if Brookshires had some meats on the buy one get one for a penny.

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
Whatever machine you end up with, the rolls of bags are the big on-going cost to seal food.
I have been buying various widths of rolls from foodvacbags.com for several years now.
Quality is same as Food-Saver brand, but cost less. They often have sales and you may be able to find other promo codes to save additional money.

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I just bought an Sboly F88 on ebay to replace my broken food saver. Its cheaper (under $50 shipped) quieter and works perfectly! The new food savers are ridiculous $$$$. It holds an 11" roll and I would put it up against a $500 model any day. You can spend big money on one if you want but the truth is when it breaks....its trash! For under $50 I wouldn't feel so bad if/when it breaks!

Looks like ebay sold out but Wallly world has them!

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My wife has one, but I don't know the model I will have to check if I remember when I'm home form work.

I know she will buy meat in bulk and then separate it out and seal it up. She uses her vacuum sealer a couple of times a month.

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I have a Galaxy. Uses bags no rolls. Saves miney in ling run. I think a nickle a bag. Use lot. Nice thing about these models is that you can vacuum seal liquids like soup and chili. We bought to process wild game. Paid for itselk in one season.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I dont think you can tell the difference in something vac sealed in a $50 machine as opposed to a $500 or more??? They all do the same but some have more bling than others.

My Sboly F88 holds 11" rolls, has a built in cutter, and will vac seal something with liquid in it! It also does jars, but you have to purchase the lids. I never used that anyway even when I had my other unit. Its quick and quiet. I especially like the price tag! If it ever breaks I could buy several and never reach a huge price tag! Time will tell!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I live in the country and I have to say that with the cost of nails and screws I can build a better quality fence than the store-bought junk. I needed a gate for my fence and when I went to the hardware store to find a gate it was $150.00. I found one on a website that was made from lumber and it was $100.00. I bought the lumber and built the gate. I used a router to cut the panels for the gate. I used a dado stack on my table saw to cut the rabbets to hold the panels and the rails. I had some leftover cedar and I made the black painted hinges. The hinges are on a sliding dovetail which is a great way to make a hinge without using a hinge machine. The gate works great and I think that it is better than the $150.00 gate that I looked at.
What does this uave to do with a vacuum sealer?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The new food savers are ridiculous $$$$. It holds an 11" roll and I would put it up against a $500 model any day. You can spend big money on one if you want but the truth is when it breaks....its trash!

I dont think you can tell the difference in something vac sealed in a $50 machine as opposed to a $500 or more??? They all do the same but some have more bling than others.
Up here it costs $500 or so to have an elk processed and about half that for a deer. The vacuum sealer I bought paid for itself and then some the first week I bought it. The last thing I want is to have 300lb of elk meat and 150lb of deer meat go bad because I used a cheap vacuum sealer.

Reactions: 1 users