Had a flat!!!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My BX25D has stupid short sidewalls.

Today, I was picking up a 500 pound oak log. As I was backing up, I noticed the left front was flat! I dropped the log and gingerly drove back to the house. I saw marks in the gravel from the storage shed so the tire had to be flat when I pulled it out. I'd used the tractor (no signs then of a low tire) to fix the driveway just a few days ago after a heavy rain and some washout.

Filled with air (zro psi before filling), checked the rest (all full). Never saw any signs of a leak (tires are all filled with beet juice). Went back, got the log and did my chore. Tire looked OK.
I guess if it goes flat again, I'll have the local tire place put a tube in. I'll not worry about the beet juice as it only it adds 20 pounds to a front tire on my tiny tractor.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
My 1 yr old BX2380 has a slow leak kinda like this on a front tire...check it over and over and all is good for weeks(or maybe it's down 2-3psi).
Next day go to use it (usually picking up something with a bucket or PF) and voila! FLat tire. WTF !?

I can only assume I have a tiny spec of dirt on the bead and putting additional weight on the front it makes it flat. I have never been able to get it to leak fast nor detect any bubble doing the soapy water tricks. Good rainy day job for me maybe.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Have you tried spraying soapy water around the rim/tire and checked for bubbles?

Dan

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Air is free, replace as needed ;)
Foam is not that expensive for those small front tires. Replace air with foam and flats are history. Of course foam is more expensive than air...:)

Did that 18 years ago on my BX and almost 20 years ago on my B2910. No regrets.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I was just out at the little guy. Tire seems full still six hours later. I'll keep and eye on it over the next week or more.
I have to wonder if I 'rolled the bead' a few months back. Such a dinky tire that carries such a load, I'd not be surprised.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My 1 yr old BX2380 has a slow leak kinda like this on a front tire...check it over and over and all is good for weeks(or maybe it's down 2-3psi).
Next day go to use it (usually picking up something with a bucket or PF) and voila! FLat tire. WTF !?

I can only assume I have a tiny spec of dirt on the bead and putting additional weight on the front it makes it flat. I have never been able to get it to leak fast nor detect any bubble doing the soapy water tricks. Good rainy day job for me maybe.

Good luck
This is pretty plausible. If it goes flat again, I'll 'suck it up, buttercup' and have a tube put in. To pull the tire, clean the rim and bead, putting a tube in is just the cost of a tube and nice to know it is just 'done'.
My wheelbarrow had a tire that'd go flat after a week, I'd air it up. Finally just put a tube in.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Cons: If pick up a nail, you can’t plug a tire with a tube. Better off finding and fixing the leak.

joearizona

Equipment
B2650 W/LA534 Loader & BB1260 Box Scraper, 48" Pallet forks, 72" Rake
Apr 24, 2019
Hidden Valley, Arizona
I had 3 flats over the last 3 yrs. I was out in the field so I pluged the hole and aired it up until I could get to the tire shop to have it patched. for some reason that tire always leaked from then on. O then put 2 new 6 ply tires on the front of the tractor and that solved the problem. I always carry a plug kit & a small air compressor.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just wondering, what kind of tires do you have that you are getting so many flats.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Air might be free, but compressed air comes at a cost.
Yeah, I was just being snarky. The air is free, the cost is in the hassle of not knowing if it will be flat or not next time you need it. BX fronts can be frustrating. I just assume that when I go to use my dad's BX25 the fronts will be low and I bring air. If they are good when I show up, bonus.

Reactions: 1 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
'Checked' again today (stood on top of the left then the right) and seems OK. I 'might' of unwittingly rolled the tire bead during a previous stupid stunt.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My left front valve stem was leaking at the rim causing the tire to slowly lose air. Easy to check and tighten.
Good point! I'll check the stem for a crack/leak. My little guy uses regular tubless stems and not mental ones. Unless you are referring to the valve core and I'll check that as well.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Air is free, replace as needed ;)
only if you own our own air compressor, even then you're paying for electricity to run it :p.

I have noticed some of the service stations near me no longer offer free air. Right before the pandemic hit, it cost me around $3 at a shell station to air up all 4 of my tires on a drive to work.

Dan

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Well, a week has passed. While I did not recheck with a tire gauge,. I did the old. "Stand on top, bounce on it and compare to the other side' test and it seems fine. I've poked at the tubeless valve to see if it has a crack/tear, spit on the valve core to see it it leaks. All passed. IDK.
If it does go down, I'll whole goods a new tire and rim. Not much more than a tube install.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have noticed some of the service stations near me no longer offer free air. Right before the pandemic hit, it cost me around $3 at a shell station to air up all 4 of my tires on a drive to work.

Dan
You reminded me - about 8 years ago we were going somewhere and had a flat. Had to use a credit card at the air station. :mad:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Today, I was out at the tractor with a pressure gauge. The tire had lost 3+ PSI in a week. So I sucked it up, contacted my dealer and I'll be whole gooding a new tire/rim. Just under $100 delivered (parts guy is a neighbor!)
My dealer, Powhatan Land & Coates, was extremely outgoing and helpful. I've had nothing but great experience dealing with them. Zero delivery faults, very responsive to questions. I expected for sales to of palmed me off when I ordered just a tire/rim, but the exact opposite.