L3200 won't start....Going RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
So yesterday after bushhogging my pastures for 5 hours I go to leave. As I pull up to the gate and cutoff the cutter and lower the throttle speed to idle it dies. I open the gate and get back on the tractor and go to start it and I get nothing. I make sure the seat safety switch is disengaged as I've had trouble with that before and get that right and now its giving me a RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT noise. I assume that is the starter making the noise but not sure. Know I was low on diesel but pretty sure I still had some but I put 5 gallons in just to be sure. Still getting the RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT noise. Even though it was 95 degrees out the machine was not overheating or anything like that.

Any idea what could be the problem and how to fix it?

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Best guess from your noise description is a problem with the battery, cable, or connection. Try a jump start (if you are confident you know how to do this correctly because a mistake isn't good!).

From what you describe, it sounds like a 12 volt system that is sagging badly under the starter load and the sound you hear is the starter solenoid engaging, dropping out because of the drop in voltage under starter motor load, and then re-engaging over and over.

Batteries often die from heat, I have never lost a battery in the winter but have had a couple expire during the hot summer months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I have lost a battery in the winter but agree with the above comments - it sounds like a weak battery. Corrosion on the terminals, wires, or loose connections can also cause this symptom. Clean and tighten all connections at the battery. Do not neglect the ground wire where it attaches to the frame.

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
So it started right up yesterday morning since i didn't use the tractor since the previous evening when it wouldn't start after mowing for 5 hours. Today I measured the voltage without starting it and it came out as 12.89V for this Group 24 battery which I think(???) represents a full charge. It then started right up again. The battery is only 3 years old. Does all this make sense? All the cables look tight as well as the ground. I'm wondering if iy just got too hot.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
L3200 won't start....Going RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT

Whilst you were opening the gate someone replaced your engine with a 1930s Dick Tracy era Thompson submachine gun.

• Haha
  • Love

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Clean all the battery cable connection points (should be four).

You can have the battery load tested but it will probably end up that a new battery will resolve your issues.

It could also be the starter or solenoid is going bad and could need to be replaced.

Clean the cables since that is simple to do. Inspect the cables also since they can corrode inside the insulation. Replace them if you are suspicious of there integrity.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I just went though something like this with my Mule. Shut it off and it made the same sound. Put the battery charger on it so I could at least put it away. Left it for an hour and came back and it still did the same. I was going to take the battery out and thought I would move the cables to see if they were a little lose. One of them moved a little, so I tried to key again and it started. Couple of days later it wouldn't start again. This time I took the cables off and clean everything up and it started. The connections all looked clean and good before I did anything.

Reactions: 1 user

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
Clean all the battery cable connection points (should be four).

You can have the battery load tested but it will probably end up that a new battery will resolve your issues.

It could also be the starter or solenoid is going bad and could need to be replaced.

Clean the cables since that is simple to do. Inspect the cables also since they can corrode inside the insulation. Replace them if you are suspicious of there integrity.
Where are the four battery connection points? If you mean grounds, I just see one right near the battery where it is grounded to the frame.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Where are the four battery connection points? If you mean grounds, I just see one right near the battery where it is grounded to the frame.
Battery positive and starter connection point
Battery negative and frame connection point
Those are the four I meant

There are other ground points (starter to bell housing) that are involved

Reactions: 1 user