Sticker SHOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you think that's bad, just try buying an engine oil filter for a piston-powered aircraft. Prices have doubled and even tripled, IF you can get a filter at all. Orders in early May were given late August delivery dates. Those delivery dates have since slipped to "maybe in September". My oil changes have gone from being about $120 affairs to costing me over $200... every 50 hours!
And soon.........will come....... "the annual"

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you think that's bad, just try buying an engine oil filter for a piston-powered aircraft. Prices have doubled and even tripled, IF you can get a filter at all. Orders in early May were given late August delivery dates. Those delivery dates have since slipped to "maybe in September". My oil changes have gone from being about $120 affairs to costing me over $200... every 50 hours!
Most engine mfr’s mx programs recommend oil changes at 50 hrs…and filter changes at 100. It’s just that most of us do both at the same time…(and anal mx people like myself do both at 25 hrs…just like we did before spin-on oil filters became available for aircraft.).

To avoid shipping costs…..I always bought aircraft filters by the case-load so haven’t experienced the reported shortage …yet! …. but it may become more common for folks to follow more closely the mfr’s recommendations if shortages continue…. 50 hr oil changes and 100 hr filter changes.

If matters continue…. I’ll even consider removing the filter adaptor and returning to the OEM oil-screen use. (Continental O-300 user)

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
I needed an oil filter for my B2410 for its 500 hour service, already have the other filters on had. Thought, while I'm here, my new L4060HSTC has ~ 40 hours on it, might as well pick up the filters for it too.

One HST filter was $56, the other $78! WOW, I was not expecting that!!! I know that they aren't cheap, but not expect it to cost as much an an oil and filter change on my F350.

Is there a less expensive supplier of Kubota filters?
I suggest looking on eBay. Sometimes you can get the OEM filter kits at a little bit of savings. I usually look for free shipping, and may not have to pay tax depending on state you live in...

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I suggest looking on eBay. Sometimes you can get the OEM filter kits at a little bit of savings. I usually look for free shipping, and may not have to pay tax depending on state you live in...
Be careful on eBay. There are many counterfeit items of all types on there.

Reactions: 1 user

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Most engine mfr’s mx programs recommend oil changes at 50 hrs…and filter changes at 100.
My Lycoming is a 50 hour oil and filter cycle... The Continental doesn't have a recommended cycle because it was built before screw-on oil filters were invented! After adding a filter adapter to that engine I've opted to follow the same 50 hour oil and filter cycle as the Lycoming-powered airplane. A camshaft or crankshaft for this engine is "unobtainium" so changing oil is cheap prevention.

And speaking of changing oil, just received updated pricing on my engine oil of choice. Case price has gone from $98 to $148. Ouch.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a case or two of Phillips X/C 20W-50 aviation oil, left over from my Twin Comanche that I sold years ago. I do not know what to do with this oil.
I have been told that it contains no detergents,(ashless dispersant) and is thus not suitable for my 21HP Kawasaki powered Scag mower.
I do not quite understand why it is suitable for one 4 stroke air cooled engine, but not for another.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m not looking for a pizzing contest but…. I also don’t know which particular “contenental engine” you are discussing that was “built before screw on filters were invented”…. so we’re not being sufficiently specific to be accurate in our statements.
The aviation oils do not contain “detergents” because ”detergents” often result in metallic residues which can cause detonation at altitude. Most Aviation oils contain “dispersants” which keeps dirt suspended until it can be drained or filtered out. Phillips XC 20W40 is such an oil and would work just fine in your air cooled engines.

I had a 40 year old supply of Mobil “Red Label”…which is/was an obsolete aviation oil…that I was reluctant to just throw away. So I used it for 15 years in my Ford 9N with excellent results.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’m not looking for a pizzing contest but…. I also don’t know which particular “contenental engine” you are discussing that was “built before screw on filters were invented”…. so we’re not being sufficiently specific to be accurate in our statements.
The aviation oils do not contain “detergents” because ”detergents” often result in metallic residues which can cause detonation at altitude. Most Aviation oils contain “dispersants” which keeps dirt suspended until it can be drained or filtered out. Phillips XC 20W40 is such an oil and would work just fine in your air cooled engines.

I had a 40 year old supply of Mobil “Red Label”…which is/was an obsolete aviation oil…that I was reluctant to just throw away. So I used it for 15 years in my Ford 9N with excellent results.
Thanks.
I e-mailed Phillips, and they suggested...NO!
Confused!

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It had a piece of string tied around the center of the filter element to keep it from ballooning inside the canister.
Are you aware that the oil flows from the OUTSIDE to the INSIDE of an oil-filter? (There is more surface-area on the outside to capture debris)

The filter-media is physically supported by the perforated metal tube INSIDE of it as the flow pushes towards the inside.
Hence: There is little chance of the media 'ballooning inside the canister'

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The little piece of string around the pleated media is to simplify assembly and has no other purpose.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks.
I e-mailed Phillips, and they suggested...NO!
Confused!
So the little girl running the computer when you sent the email gave you a “no”…and that must be expert advice…. ? They also don’t recommend it for door hinges. I’ll give you a shipping address and I’ll dispose of it for you so it won’t pollute the landfill near you. (wink)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
keep griping about airplane maintenance costs. Or just go buy an electric one. Problem solved. Right? Environmentally responsible thing to do isn't it?

these people who have the idea to attack oil/gas are apparently ignorant of the many implications. Their political agenda is bankrupting Americans and has been for years

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
keep griping about airplane maintenance costs. Or just go buy an electric one. Problem solved. Right? Environmentally responsible thing to do isn't it?

these people who have the idea to attack oil/gas are apparently ignorant of the many implications. Their political agenda is bankrupting Americans and has been for years
Why didn’t we just go take our oil after 9 1 1 and put an end to this B.S… Don’t know why we let this continue… GWB let them all get on their jets and go home while WE all had to SIT HERE on the ground! ..and then we go an blow a ton of national-treasure and American lives on their next-door neighbors who had nothing to do with it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Why didn’t we just go take our oil after 9 1 1 and put an end to this B.S… Don’t know why we let this continue… GWB let them all get on their jets and go home while WE all had to SIT HERE on the ground! ..and then we go an blow a ton of national-treasure and American lives on their next-door neighbors who had nothing to do with it.
that "we" know of

My brother was all up in that mess. There is a LOT more to it than the general public knows and that is all I am going to say.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Just to clarify 'cause I'm a little confused ... which oil was "our oil"?

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Just to clarify 'cause I'm a little confused ... which oil was "our oil"?
the oil which ”we” discovered and developed the fields.
Yes, there IS a lot more to it, especially after “citizens united” which allows certain “monarchs” to contribute endless amounts of money to political campaigns anonymously. Figure out which politicians are in bed with big oil companies and you’ll have the answer to why some people can be murdered by monarchs and nothing happen over it and why thousands of American boys are dead and why we spent thrice the time fighting over there than in WW2 and why high gas prices are rampant to punish certain administrations than others. (rant over)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So the little girl running the computer when you sent the email gave you a “no”…and that must be expert advice…. ? They also don’t recommend it for door hinges. I’ll give you a shipping address and I’ll dispose of it for you so it won’t pollute the landfill near you. (wink)
It actually was not a "little girl" that responded, but a guy from the Phillips tech dept. who might be an "expert".
Still,.....I don't understand what the sea level oil type difference could possibly be, between an air cooled aircraft engine, and a air cooled mower engine, using the X/C oil.
Perhaps Phillips does not understand that the 21HP Kawasaki has an oil filter?

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
It actually was not a "little girl" that responded, but a guy from the Phillips tech dept. who might be an "expert".
Still,.....I don't understand what the sea level oil type difference could possibly be, between an air cooled aircraft engine, and a air cooled mower engine, using the X/C oil.
Perhaps Phillips does not understand that the 21HP Kawasaki has an oil filter?
I think he gave you their “legal dept” standard answer. He has no idea what condition your engine is in…and if you used their oil with their blessing and your engine ever fails they’re worried you might sue them. They can say “no”…with no penalty. They only take-on liability if they say “yes”..)
I ran my 9N Ford on old aviation oil for 15 years, and I run my air-cooled B&S, Wisconsin, and Robin engines on it just fine. (also a couple Chondas.)

If you’re sittin’ on 2-cases of XC oil … then there’s guys at your local airport who will see it as $150 worth of oil.

Last edited:

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA

You explained why aviation oil, containing dispersants rather than detergents, is advantageous in an aircraft engine, because it doesn't result in metallic residues.

Do you know what the advantages (if any) are of detergents? Are they simply cheaper or do they have some performance advantage within the operational envelope of a non-aviation engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.