For those as visually challenged as me:
avoid.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
So, all the New Technolgies aren't cutting it? Who would of thunk.
Is a new 750 Meg Nuke plant in the plan? Sadly, properly not.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I see where Germany just restarted some coal fired units, so much for the green thing huh

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
There is so much that they aren't considering with the push to go electric. First is the strain on the power grids.

How about the pollution generated from a lithium mine. Once you pop open the ground you find all sorts of nasty stuff. Ground water can start leaching metals, toxins, and acid.

That water has to go somewhere so they can continue to mine. Which has to be filtered, neutralized, ect....

Generating that power has some sort of pollution. Mining for coal, drilling for natural gas and oil. God forbid they got to frac 😱😱😱😱 Nuclear waste

I laugh about the hypocrisy of it.

Let's plug it into a power outlet and sing kumbaya. We are saving the environment!!!! 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

Reactions: 3 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
These days I get my energy from a can...you can imagine what you like regarding that...

Something that developed maybe 50 years ago when my wife did not think drinking soft drinks was acceptable with meals for adults...LOL...now she complains, but it was her making...LOL

I guess this comment is related? :ROFLMAO:

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
If you run the EVs in regen mode all day long by driving downhill, it should be enough to recharge the battery pack.

• Haha

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Funny how Electric vehicles are being pushed on us so hard but absolutely no thought is being given to additional generation or infrastructure required for their operation. Those required upgrades to the power system are going to cost a major fortune and guess who will bear the cost. Also funny how nobody wants a new power station in their backyard and they definitely don't want one over there either.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Wonder what is needed and in many cases to manufacture and maybe even contents included in the parts of all the parts beyond the engine in an Car? Suppose there is any petroleum in the plastic or the tires etc?🤔. I wonder what these unicorns will drive on top of? I wonder what is in asphalt (I wonder where the gas tax will go which has been contributer to the roads) 🤔. I wonder if the same folks that think it is ok to rob Lake Mead for their personal use also think it is ok to starve farmers for water to feed people. or maybe even cause deforestation for the rare earth mining. 🤔. I wonder why Electrification craze did not start off with yaghts and private jets….so we could learn from their example and leadership?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have five high bush blueberry bushes in my field down back. Basically deer feed but I had put the conposted manure to them this year and the ferns and 'brush' was over taking them. I went down this morning and pulled a bunch of brush by hand then took my Kobolt electric weed wacker from Lowes and beat the crap out of everything else around the bushes. Its light weight and works good.
My hired man has lots and lots of stone walls at his place and claims he weed wacks hrs every weekend and the electric wouldn't work for him.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Wonder what is needed and in many cases to manufacture and maybe even contents included in the parts of all the parts beyond the engine in an Car? Suppose there is any petroleum in the plastic or the tires etc?🤔. I wonder what these unicorns will drive on top of? I wonder what is in asphalt (I wonder where the gas tax will go which has been contributer to the roads) 🤔. I wonder if the same folks that think it is ok to rob Lake Mead for their personal use also think it is ok to starve farmers for water to feed people. or maybe even cause deforestation for the rare earth mining. 🤔. I wonder why Electrification craze did not start off with yaghts and private jets….so we could learn from their example and leadership?

you will be happy.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I had a reliever on my crew the other day. He arrived in a Tesla. His wife phoned him and warned him that her phone app showed the car would not have enough power at current consumption rates to make it home again in the morning.

Current consumption? It was parked. So he checked his app to see what was consuming power. It seems the S3 has a feature to run the AC when parked with kids or pets left in the car and it was keeping the interior cool. So he shut it off.

Then his wife called to complain that her phone now showed the car interior was getting too hot. She was afraid it might cause damage to the plastics so she turned it back on. A big argument ensued when he tried to explain the City did not permit employees to plug in EVs at the station.

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. How does air conditioning the parking lot help the environment? What is the energy consumption if all these cars are sitting there running all day trying to keep the upholstry cool? And what is wrong with people who think they can leave kids in the car, whether or not it is hot?

What's next? Telling your self-driving car to take the colicky baby out for a ride so you can get some peace and quiet at home?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That Tesla has gone overboard on Knick knacks. I don’t feel pushed to buy anything these days. People that I know are not in the Tesla buying tax bracket, but some seem pretty happy with the hybrids. My Honda Fit gets somewhere around 38 to 40mpg, but is not even close to a luxury car. My 2003 Duramax diesel gets 21mpg but truly stinks. Neither are worn out. My problem is this stuff is likely to outlive me. If I had money to burn and didn’t need a truck to haul stuff any more I’d look for a hybrid more like an suv. Add a few more solar panels to the back pasture for charging. I like the idea of quiet driving.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Funny how Electric vehicles are being pushed on us so hard but absolutely no thought is being given to additional generation or infrastructure required for their operation. Those required upgrades to the power system are going to cost a major fortune and guess who will bear the cost. Also funny how nobody wants a new power station in their backyard and they definitely don't want one over there either.
From my backyard, I can see the lights from 2 nuclear, 1 coal, 3 hydro, 2 windmills, 1 pump storage, 1 methane and a garbage burner. All that power is produced in my rural area to feed the "not in my backyard" cities. All the while, I produce my power in my vehicles and only as required. Move the power generation to where it is consumed and save the transmission losses and quit bothering those that don't benefit.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
From my backyard, I can see the lights from 2 nuclear, 1 coal, 3 hydro, 2 windmills, 1 pump storage, 1 methane and a garbage burner. All that power is produced in my rural area to feed the "not in my backyard" cities. All the while, I produce my power in my vehicles and only as required. Move the power generation to where it is consumed and save the transmission losses and quit bothering those that don't benefit.
Exactly! There are multiple geothermal and solar generating plants across Nevada. Most of the power from these plants goes straight to California because Californians would rather not look at power generating plants in their back yard. This geothermal plant not far from me has been in operation for nearly 40 years now and ALL the power goes to southern California. The power lines leading from this plant go by multiple ranches/homes that derive their power from generators - they are not allowed to tap into the geothermal power lines.
P1013969erorngtractor6-26-22.jpg

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That Tesla has gone overboard on Knick knacks. I don’t feel pushed to buy anything these days. People that I know are not in the Tesla buying tax bracket, but some seem pretty happy with the hybrids. My Honda Fit gets somewhere around 38 to 40mpg, but is not even close to a luxury car. My 2003 Duramax diesel gets 21mpg but truly stinks. Neither are worn out. My problem is this stuff is likely to outlive me. If I had money to burn and didn’t need a truck to haul stuff any more I’d look for a hybrid more like an suv. Add a few more solar panels to the back pasture for charging. I like the idea of quiet driving.
I like the idea of a hybrid or EV. Money, opportunity, and circumstances have got in the way.

Motor went out in my wife's jeep and we were stranded 600 miles from home. Came home in a Buick encore. Small dealership in the sticks so we were extremely limited on options.

Perfect for just the two of us. Cramped as the dickens with kids over 10yo in the back seat. But it gets 32mpg with the eco stuff shut off. So we really can't complain.

Having a truck in the household makes perfect sense for us as well. So for family outings with the grandkids we go in the truck.

Big V8, 1/2 ton super crew to get the towing capacity we need on occasion and fit everyone in it. Truck still gets 22mpg on the highway with the cruise control set at 78.

We currently rent, so a costly upgrade and charging system install for an EV is out.

And will probably rent for another year since the housing market is still wonky.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
We currently rent, so a costly upgrade and charging system install for an EV is out.

Thank you for pointing this out. This area is FULL of rental properties. Every time a somewhat decently priced property comes up for sale, the investors are all over it like flies on stink. Then they rent 'em out. Over time the tenants pay the mortgage and then somewhere down the line the owner sells it, and the sale is the profit. That's how they get rich, or that's the plan anyway. Sometimes it doesn't pan out.

So with that, and the large number of rentals in this area, one of two things is going to have to happen to vehicle drivers. If the driver is in a rental such as in your case, that means that unless the owner (landlord) is willing to install a charging device, the vehicle is going to remain gas powered. Option #2, jack up the cost of rent so that it will offset the cost of installing charging device(s). If they end up doing like they are in Kalifornia, forcing people to go EV, then you can bet the rent will go up. Way up possibly.

At my place (I own) I have a 100A panel and 100A service. Utilities are underground, and it's 235' (IIRC) from the pole to the panel. I have no additional space in the panel for upgrade. So, I called a friend who runs his own electrician business, to inspect my wiring install in the shop--and while he was here, asked him to check into EV charging outlet. His cost estimate for installing a "post" was right around $10,000. They'll have to dig up the existing wire and conduit, replace all of that (which also means they'll have to dig up part of my driveway), then installation of the panel itself, among other things. I can't afford it and it looks like I won't be able to for a while to come. $10,000 est, probably higher now maybe $12,500. If I were renting the house out (which I am not), I'd have to consider how much time it would take to recoup that cost should I install a charging post. $12,500 is a chunk of change in my book. If I stretched it out over 2 years, I'd have to up the rent by $520/mo in order to pay for it. At 10 years, $104/mo rent increase.

So those who rent, look for a rent increase at some point, due to ev charging. Maybe not that much but you get the idea.

It's almost as if "they" are forcing the lower and middle class into things that they cannot afford. We are steadily seeing the effects of doing just that, a shrinking middle class. And more & more folks on government assistance. The more people that are on gov assistance, the more it will cost the gov, and the more it costs the gov, the more money they will want. My old boss used to say at some point the wagon sits because there ain't enough mules to pull it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Not too sure why your sparky needs to do all that work(sounds like a 200A service). You should be able to spec a 100% separate 100A service for the EV station(new feed,meter base,panel, jack for car ). At least that's what could and should be done. I know different laws of the lands... Nice thing about 100% separate is the 2nd hydro bill is ONLY for the EV, so no problem figuring out who owes what every month.
Lots of places around here have 2 feeds,2 meters ( house vs barn or shop)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Not too sure why your sparky needs to do all that work(sounds like a 200A service). You should be able to spec a 100% separate 100A service for the EV station(new feed,meter base,panel, jack for car ). At least that's what could and should be done. I know different laws of the lands... Nice thing about 100% separate is the 2nd hydro bill is ONLY for the EV, so no problem figuring out who owes what every month.
Lots of places around here have 2 feeds,2 meters ( house vs barn or shop)
Maybe it is different in Flamborough, but up here there's a monthly service charge for each service entrance. Cheaper to have one entrance and feed sub-panels in each outbuilding than to have separate services.