Recommendations for a finish mower?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I am considering a 72" finish mower rather than a zero turn. In my online searching I am not even sure what features are important to me. What makes matters worse is there are none in inventory near me to look at.
This is not a commercial use but I'm not looking for the cheapest available.

Suggestions?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My Bush Hog RDTH60 does a fine job for me. You might consider the RDTH72,

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You might reconsider the ZT.
a ZT allows the tractor to do other jobs while someone else is mowing the grass
a ZT allows someone to cut grass while tractor is in for repairs
a ZT might be cheaper to buy
a ZT might be faster to cut the grass

all this from a guy who owned 3 of them and went back to a rider with bags.

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I mow with both. I use a Woods rear discharge ( I wouldn't have a side discharge- the rear discharge doesn't throw debris to the side (safety), and I can mow closer with either side of the mower), and it mows as beautifully as my zero turn. Other than mowing around some obstacles, I prefer the finish mower. It's
larger than my finish mower- you'll spend much less on a 72" finish mower, than you would on a 72" zero turn- and my tractor uses MUCH less fuel than the zero turn does. I mow our church recreation area, which is about 4 acres. The zero turn takes 2 1/2 gallons of gas, while my tractor will burn a little over half a gallon of diesel.
The tractor is more comfortable than the zero turn, also.

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I am sure that there are many good choices. I have a Land Pride rear discharge finish mower, and I am very pleased with it. It is well built, has easy height adjustment and simple to service/grease. Most importantly, it mates to my Land Pride Quick Hitch, and of course the cut is great.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am considering a 72" finish mower rather than a zero turn. In my online searching I am not even sure what features are important to me. What makes matters worse is there are none in inventory near me to look at.

Suggestions?
If cost is your primary concery, buy a low line three point mounted mower, e.g., King Kutter, TSC, RK, Caroni (still available?), etc.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If cost is your primary concery, buy a low line three point mounted mower, e.g., King Kutter, TSC, RK, Caroni (still available?), etc.
I found a used, but great condition, Woods RD60 at the local Deere dealership, for $650. In your search, check around. Even though they can be harder to find under the current conditions, deals are still out there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: you'll spend much less on a 72" finish mower, than you would on a 72" zero turn-
kinda depends on 'timing'. I bought a TORO 72" ZT, diesel for $500 about 5-6 years ago.needed a $30 part to get it 'up and running'.

I asked about ZT as a possible option or alternative,especially in this 'no-stock, hi $ stock' economy.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
A response I made a few years ago on another forum. Parts have been easy to come by. AgriSupply has them and some parts are generic. I've found bearings at a good hardware store about 1/2 hour from home. The 5' Caroni (now reassembled with parts from two donors) still works great:

The 5' Caroni we bought new around 1991 is just about to be retired. That deck resides on the Ford and is a backup (and has been abused badly). I've had a 5' LandPride AT on a B7500 and a 6' LandPride 1672 on the L3200. LandPride makes nice equipment and they worked fine.

Last Summer I bought a Caroni 91" RFM that needed some love, knowing we were going to replace the L3200 with something that would have a cab and a few more horses. It took a couple bearings and misc things. For convenience I added the extensions for the spindle grease zerks. The 6' LandPride was used on the L4240 several times until the 91" Caroni was ready. It worked OK on that tractor.

The 91" Caroni is right at home on the L4240 and it works great. I did leave the deflector off the back because it distributes the clippings better without it. This is the best mowing combo I've used since building here in 1989. The Caroni decks are lighter and not as beefy as the LandPride decks. Still love them. A week ago there was a used 5' Caroni on Craigslist and I snapped it up. It will replace the original one on the Ford and since most of the Caroni parts swap I'll have spare parts on hand. Here's a shot of the re-done 91" Caroni.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Good Works Tractors just put out a video on a really nice looking DelMerino 8 foot finish mower with a central grease manifold to hit all the bearings.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C

Suggestions?
Very important to note this is an opinion.& experience
the zero turn is much faster & more maneuverable.
I am not hurried when mowing so I use a 3 point finish mower, I further use a 50 hp utility tractor to mow.
rather than 72 inch, I use a 90 inch made by MK Martin, Ontario canada. Have a look @ their website if interested. They have a distributor network in the US. Also have a 9 ft-2" C-70 Befco finish mower, but they are expensive & quite heavy.. Most wide finish mowers are rear discharge, confirm this feture. Both solid tires & air tires function, just personal preference. The spindles love grease, do not neglect. Most have flexible top linkage so the mower floats going down hill, confirm. Check implement weight against tractor lift capacity. The cut height adjustment is typically all the same method. Specify high-lift blades & perimeter shroud around each blade, simulates semi mulching. Two drive belts better than single. Look for center antiscalp roller. And rollers @ both front corners .That is features summary. I have several green conventional riders for closer cut around obstacles & such.
titan offers a six ft model, no shipping charge, no clue how they perform. There are a # of brands from Italy. Important to read their consumer reviews carefully. Am familiar w/ the 90 Inch HD Woods, good unit, expensive & heavy but long lasting. One benefit of the 3 point, I can back under extended free branches, get close to trunk. The ROPS can be an impediment for low clearances, omitted on my IH.
Good luck in your search, and again this is just my experience/opinion. Anyone waiting to pounce w/ a challenge, just give it rest.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
A response I made a few years ago on another forum. Parts have been easy to come by. AgriSupply has them and some parts are generic. I've found bearings at a good hardware store about 1/2 hour from home. The 5' Caroni (now reassembled with parts from two donors) still works great:

The 5' Caroni we bought new around 1991 is just about to be retired. That deck resides on the Ford and is a backup (and has been abused badly). I've had a 5' LandPride AT on a B7500 and a 6' LandPride 1672 on the L3200. LandPride makes nice equipment and they worked fine.

Last Summer I bought a Caroni 91" RFM that needed some love, knowing we were going to replace the L3200 with something that would have a cab and a few more horses. It took a couple bearings and misc things. For convenience I added the extensions for the spindle grease zerks. The 6' LandPride was used on the L4240 several times until the 91" Caroni was ready. It worked OK on that tractor.

The 91" Caroni is right at home on the L4240 and it works great. I did leave the deflector off the back because it distributes the clippings better without it. This is the best mowing combo I've used since building here in 1989. The Caroni decks are lighter and not as beefy as the LandPride decks. Still love them. A week ago there was a used 5' Caroni on Craigslist and I snapped it up. It will replace the original one on the Ford and since most of the Caroni parts swap I'll have spare parts on hand. Here's a shot of the re-done 91" Caroni.
That does not resemble that home made cab that served you well years ago. In time, many thing change & a/C becomes a feature of importance. Nice rig.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Many thanks to all especially Chim! At least now I have some basis to go forward with :)
I was speaking to a friend yesterday about this and brought up a very good point - the weight of the tractor. Even with the front bucket off, those filled R4's may do a job on my new lawn :(
I'm going to have to take a look and see exactly how I'm going to make a route to follow without causing a lot of damage. It was fun doing the lawn last year, if I have to do it over this year it will be work. . .

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
That does not resemble that home made cab that served you well years ago. In time, many thing change & a/C becomes a feature of importance. Nice rig.
My WONDERFUL Brother-in law suggested to his sister that chim was getting older and a cabbed tractor with A/C would help him cope with the heat and pollen. Had the L4240 since December of 2018. Hung onto the L3200 till Wifey pestered me to sell it a year later, so I listed it for sale here and on CL. Sold quickly :)

Attachments

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
....................... Even with the front bucket off, those filled R4's may do a job on my new lawn :(
I'm going to have to take a look and see exactly how I'm going to make a route to follow without causing a lot of damage. It was fun doing the lawn last year, if I have to do it over this year it will be work. . .
I always remove the loader and frame to mow. Damage to your yard depends a lot on your soil. I've been mowing with filled R4's and RFM's since 2002 here (B7500, L3200 & L4240). Prior to that it was an old Cub LoBoy with worthless diamond turfs and a MMM, then the old Ford1210 with R1's and a RFM. The little Ford leaves the most noticeable tracks.

So far the L4240 leaves the lighteset tracks when the yard is soft and it has the smallest turning radius. The little creek going through the lower part of our front yard floods occasionally and I can get away with mowing a couple days later.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good Works Tractors just put out a video on a really nice looking DelMerino 8 foot finish mower with a central grease manifold to hit all the bearings.
I like and subscribe to the Good Works Tractors channel and watched that video this morning too. I'm looking forward to his next video when he'll be using the mower.

I bought a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 flail mower from Courtney and would consider the same model as the one he assembled, or maybe a size smaller, if I needed a finish mower. Del Morino makes quality implements for sure, but honestly, they are expensive for what they are and I think cheaper, equivalent products made here are available. The XRM 235 mower he assembled in the video is a $5k investment. Maybe that's typical for finish mowers of that size. Regardless, Courtney is a good, stand-up, honorable guy and I would have no problem buying another implement from him in the future.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Del Morino equipment usually gets good reviews, and their finish mower might be a fine mower. However. I would be very concerned about bending the wheel supports on the one in the video. They appear to be simply bent flat stock. If you contacted a fence or some other obstruction (even a hole) in forward or reverse, those supports would certainly be prone to bending. The Del Morino geometry is also much worse with a bent flat stock projecting high above the wheel.

My Land Pride finish mower's wheel supports are square tubing with collars (round tubing) welded on the ends, and the support is perpendicular to the wheel . It is a much stronger design.

I realize these are finish mowers, but incidental contact with obstructions is going to happen from time to time.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would be very concerned about bending the wheel supports on the one in the video. They appear to be simply bent flat stock. If you contacted a fence or some other obstruction (even a hole) in forward or reverse, those supports would certainly be prone to bending. The Del Morino geometry is also much worse with a bent flat stock projecting high above the wheel.

My Land Pride finish mower's wheel supports are square tubing with collars (round tubing) welded on the ends, and the support is perpendicular to the wheel . It is a much stronger design.

I realize these are finish mowers, but incidental contact with obstructions is going to happen from time to time.
Looks like 1/2" thick flat bar. Flat bar might not offer the best strength to weight ratio, but if weight savings isn't a concern and it's sized properly it can be more than suitable for typical loading. Del Morino and other Italian manufactures of farming equipment have a good reputation in Europe. They've been in business a long time and I would assume that they've done their homework and are confident in the design of the wheel supports.

Last edited:

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Check out the Woods 990. Great RFM, rear discharge.