3 point lift height adjustment

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
Is there a way to get the lift arms to raise higher on my Kubota 5040? When the lift arms are all the way down. They are approximately no more than 8" from the ground. At there highest my disc harrow still touches the ground.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
This is just something to look for as I am not familiar with your specific machine. Most have a range of motion selection available by moving the pin connection between the sidelink and lift arm. Some have multiple holes in the lift arm, some have multiple holes in the sidelink shackle (as shown below). Which hole is selected impacts the lift arm range of motion.
0E7DF120-32F8-472D-8C11-534D7570088E.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Is there a way to get the lift arms to raise higher on my Kubota 5040? When the lift arms are all the way down. They are approximately no more than 8" from the ground. At there highest my disc harrow still touches the ground.
Your first post indicated that your lift arms are too short. If so, that would also affect the lift height. Is it possible that a previous owner somehow ended up with the wrong arms?

Also, you do know about the adjustable stop on the lift control lever, right?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Try using the lowest top link pin setting on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
Your first post indicated that your lift arms are too short. If so, that would also affect the lift height. Is it possible that a previous owner somehow ended up with the wrong arms?

I bought it new several years ago. I've been getting by with it but it sure is aggravating. I ordered a set of PAT quick connects it. They should be here tomorrow. I thought that might help some.

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC

Oh and yeah I do know about the stop on the lift control. Thank you for your help.

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
This is just something to look for as I am not familiar with your specific machine. Most have a range of motion selection available by moving the pin connection between the sidelink and lift arm. Some have multiple holes in the lift arm, some have multiple holes in the sidelink shackle (as shown below). Which hole is selected impacts the lift arm range of motion. View attachment 81214
Thank you, mine doesn't have the adjustment holes in the lift arms. Also my left side lift arm is adjusted as short as it will go. I noticed yours has quite a bit of threads showing.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thank you, mine doesn't have the adjustment holes in the lift arms. Also my left side lift arm is adjusted as short as it will go. I noticed yours has quite a bit of threads showing.
If you have a fixed link on one side and a turnbuckle type adjustable link on the other side and you have to run the adjustable link all the way in to get the arms level there’s something way off about the 3 point. Even with in the highly unlikely circumstance it was designed that way it will never be fully functional set up like that. If I had any tractor with that issue, I’d replace the fixed link with an additional turnbuckle link so I could get it adjusted correctly.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If you have a fixed link on one side and a turnbuckle type adjustable link on the other side and you have to run the adjustable link all the way in to get the arms level there’s something way off about the 3 point. Even with in the highly unlikely circumstance it was designed that way it will never be fully functional set up like that. If I had any tractor with that issue, I’d replace the fixed link with an additional turnbuckle link so I could get it adjusted correctly.
His hitch should be like this one.

Attachments

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
His hitch should be like this one.
Must be something off with the OP’s hitch then. That one has two options for attachment to the lift arms, right sidelink is adjustable, and there’s a zerk on the left side link so I’d have to assume there’s some adjustability to the left link as well.

Pics of the hitch in question would be really helpful. Sounds like some mismatched pieces and parts if MtnViewRanch’s pic is accurate for the standard for that model.

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
The lift arms are level. That's what has me so confused. The turnbuckle link and the fixed link are at the same length. The turnbuckle link is retracted completely but still the lift arms are just too low.

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
The lift arms are level. That's what has me so confused. The turnbuckle link and the fixed link are at the same length. The turnbuckle link is retracted completely but still the lift arms are just too low.
I would have to get two shorter links to raise the lift arm highth. I am wondering if I could take the arm loose at the splines and move them up a spline or two.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Having dealt with 3 point hitches on numerous tractors for numerous years/operating hours it’s kind of hard to believe there isn’t a reasonably simple solution for your problem. However, without a few good pictures of the hitch from a few different angles, solving it here isn’t looking promising as it sounds quite possible there’s something that’s non-standard about it. It’s either that or it’s way out of adjustment and you need a short tutorial on how to adjust a 3 point hitch (less likely but technically possible).

Marion is a couple hours from me, but it’s also in between our place and our son’s place, so if you don’t get it solved, next time we’re headed to see him maybe I’ll PM you to see if you want another pair of eyeballs on it. At this point, without pics or actually looking at it, I got nothing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Agree picture will help, could be something obvious to 'long distance eye'. Like wrong lower links...
Yes, resplining arms shouldn't be necessary. Look at the paint there. It'll be obvious IF they've been changed in the past.

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
Agree picture will help, could be something obvious to 'long distance eye'. Like wrong lower links...
Yes, resplining arms shouldn't be necessary. Look at the paint there. It'll be obvious IF they've been changed in the past.
It's not been changed. The paint hasn't been disturbed. I was just thinking it might have been possible that the lifts were assembled on the wrong spline. One spline would make a big difference in the highth of the lift arms.

Kbtaman65

Equipment
M5040
May 20, 2022
Marion NC
Having dealt with 3 point hitches on numerous tractors for numerous years/operating hours it’s kind of hard to believe there isn’t a reasonably simple solution for your problem. However, without a few good pictures of the hitch from a few different angles, solving it here isn’t looking promising as it sounds quite possible there’s something that’s non-standard about it. It’s either that or it’s way out of adjustment and you need a short tutorial on how to adjust a 3 point hitch (less likely but technically possible).

Marion is a couple hours from me, but it’s also in between our place and our son’s place, so if you don’t get it solved, next time we’re headed to see him maybe I’ll PM you to see if you want another pair of eyeballs on it. At this point, without pics or actually looking at it, I got nothing.
Thanks for the offer. I wouldn't want you to go to that much trouble but if you want to come by. Just message me and we'll figure out something.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Using MtnViewRanch's picture, if you move the lifting link's bottom pin to the inner hole as shown, you'll get more lifting range (at the expense of slightly less capacity).
Screenshot_20220604-123025-929.png